Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 AM

powers of ten demo

a java visual demonstration of the powers of ten - stepping down from the Milky Way galaxy, to the interior of an atom. I thought it was neat, you might too.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...f10/index.html
Old 11-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Thanks,

That was very interesting and fun.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thats cool!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Anyone ever seen the original film?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-19-2003, 08:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
That was pretty cool. I always imagined that as we get to explore things on a subatomic level that we would discover ourselve looking into another universe and repeating the whole thing indefinitely the smaller you go. It helps me to actually comprehend the idea of infinity just a little better. Would be incredibly awesome if it was really like that with each atom an actual universe with galaxies as what we think of as quarks.

There is so much space between atomic particles that they say that if you could take away all space and reduce Mt. Everest to nothing but the actual matter it contained that you could fit it into a teaspoon. Pretty cool stuff!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Would have to be a very strong teaspoon!
Old 11-28-2003, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Would have to be a very strong teaspoon!
Damn straight, it would! It would then proceed to drop through the ground, like a brick passes through air if dropped from an airplane at 15000ft, until it stopped at the center of the earth.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Damn straight, it would! It would then proceed to drop through the ground, like a brick passes through air if dropped from an airplane at 15000ft, until it stopped at the center of the earth.
hmmm...I need to think about this, but believe you wouldn't have to drop it since it would be a miniature black hole. Lay it on the ground and it would immediately begin sucking the Earth into itself and end up with an spherical event horizon about 2cm in diameter (I think a little less than 13/16" for you metric challenged types). Then if Hawking, et al, are correct it would then begin an evaporation process and be all gone in say....don't want to think about how long, gotta study business, gotta study business, MBA in December, MBA in December. I figure if I say it enough maybe I'll actually do it....nah, reading the forum posts is more fun.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:25 PM
arondale

there is no spoon. =P

arondale
Old 11-28-2003, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

hmmm...I need to think about this, but believe you wouldn't have to drop it since it would be a miniature black hole. Lay it on the ground and it would immediately begin sucking the Earth into itself and end up with an spherical event horizon about 2cm in diameter (I think a little less than 13/16" for you metric challenged types). Then if Hawking, et al, are correct it would then begin an evaporation process and be all gone in say....don't want to think about how long, gotta study business, gotta study business, MBA in December, MBA in December. I figure if I say it enough maybe I'll actually do it....nah, reading the forum posts is more fun.
I guess you are right about it being, at that point, a singularity if all empty space was removed. I doubt that it would have quite the mass necessary to become a "blackhole" as we think of them. But since it is all conjecture it might be. All wonderful food for thought.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
so whats before the quark?

this is true because the actual mass hasnt changed. it still exerts/accepts the same gravity as if it were a mountain. provided all the atoms would hold together it would proceed to drill into the earth until it reached the plates below china provided it were 'dropped' from the U.S., whereupon it would oscillate until coming to a stop at the center of the earth.

as far as black holes are concerned, the mass required is that of a red giant minimum, with the majority of black hole type singularites being formed from supergiants. if you consider the difference in the amount of matter to vaporize/radiate, it would take less than a microsecond for mount everest.
EDIT: whoops. should note the estimated time is if relative forces were that of a full "size" event horizon. on relative scale it might take a very long time.

ive always considered the universe within a universe theory, but ruled it out due to the fact it doesnt support big bang. if someone were to explain big bang on infinite subatomic scales i would reconsider it.

edit2: supposing those are actual shots of a carbon atom, the simplest building block, and we are actually seeing the elusive 'quark', which was purely hypothetical last i recall (and its been some time), then theres even more space between atoms than originally thought.
on that note id like to put on everyones plate that if the subatomic universe idea were true, everytime a superdense star collapsed into a singularity, the multiple universe's directly below it would not survive.
i hate to bring everyone to my world but i hope we are not someone elses subatomic universe.

edit3!: perhaps i just answered my own question. the matter ejected from black holes must expand at an incredible rate. big bang states that all matter in out universe was compressed at some point (like a huge molecule, the ONE element), then expanded in a great explosion of matter.
it is possible that if multiple subatomic unverse theory were true, the universes (universi?) would be compressed to an infinite point upon when everything within would be destroyed, and later ejected in a similar instance to our "big bang".
any thoughts?

nikfu-
- ah science... my true forte.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 11-29-2003 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:07 PM

Re: so whats before the quark?

Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.

edit3!: perhaps i just answered my own question. the matter ejected from black holes must expand at an incredible rate. big bang states that all matter in out universe was compressed at some point (like a huge molecule, the ONE element), then expanded in a great explosion of matter.
it is possible that if multiple subatomic unverse theory were true, the universes (universi?) would be compressed to an infinite point upon when everything within would be destroyed, and later ejected in a similar instance to our "big bang".
any thoughts?

nikfu-
- ah science... my true forte.
Exactly what I was thinking when you were stating that the big bang theory ruled out the universe within a universe theory. I love the universe within a universe theory and I hope that one day we will discover it is true. If they find that it is not true then I hope they do so after I die. I like to think of them as parallel universes where every possible occurance that could possibly occur does occur when taken as a collective whole.

In one of them the SVX is a knockout seller and Fuji Heavy produced millions of them and parts are easy to find and there are tons of modifications available for pennies. Not that you would need them since in that universe version they came with 859 hp from the factory and hit 60mph is less than 2 seconds while topping out at 250mph. Their trannies never overheat and have never been known to break.

Old 11-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

........so I told Albert, "NO"! "It's E=MC CUBED"!
But did he listen?

Case rested.

Ron (mentally in a black fog).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
i hate to rain on your 859 horse svx parade but...,

...even if it were true, our photons of light could not penetrate into a miniverse, and their light couldnt reach ours. my guess is we wouldnt be able to find them.
then again i dont completely understand how an electron microscope works. are those still the strongest?

ive seen an artists impression of the universe from a distance. actually, forget that. according to all the evidence ive come across, the void is an expanding thing. very sparse of matter, with much darkmatter in between. if darkmatter exists it would be especially hard to find anything. first point: our universe expands and (possibly) contracts after expanding. much like an atom. remember that everything is relative. if the miniverses (versi?) were to expand at a rate relative to its size, any life on them would be changing at a rate so fast we could not even see them. if we took a still we might catch something, but by the time we saw it the moment would be aeons ago in miniverse time.

personally think it would be cool to find an extraverse. some incomprehensibly huge lumbering 'verse with strange physics that seems to be frozen. we couldnt learn much from either case however, which is why its best we try to find other life in our own galaxy first.

am i getting too deep into this?

edit: johnny im thinking youd be happier finding an extradimensional race of svx lovers than a submicro wee people. its far more probable and the results would be more fun. infinite dminsions... remember that show Sliders? good stuff.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 11-30-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
........so I told Albert, "NO"! "It's E=MC CUBED"!
But did he listen?

Case rested.

Ron (mentally in a black fog).
there was a point in time when i completely disagreed with Al. mostly i still dont like his space time theories.
if theres one thing i do like, its the fact everything is relative. i use that one a lot. dont confuse that with the theory of relativity though. thats the space-time one.
i mean seriously. how can space (void) and time (a mere idea) bend?
i also have srtong beliefs about light speed travel.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: