Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've had a successful run from the cops twice now in the svx.
First one I was passing a slower car over a double solid (had plenty of sight distance).
As I came back into the lane and around the bend a cruiser was coming the other way. I was going pretty fast by then. He jumped on the brakes to make his u-turn, I slid through the next left and took a couple more turns and never saw him again. Kim was there as witness and of course she openly expressed her view of the situation.
The other time I was doing about 85 in a 55 on the road to work. He was unmarked going the other way behind a couple cars. He didn't shoot me as I passed but then shot me out the back window (V1 caught it) and he braked and started to make the U-turn. I stomped it as I only had about a mile to work. I was quickly in triple digits then just as quickly sliding around the corner into the plant. I made it in and shut the car down. I don't think he saw me go in but he must have saw some dust or maybe he knew I couldn't have disappeared that fast since the rest of the road is very straight. He stopped at the end of the road into the plant and sat there for about 5 minutes. I'm not sure if he didn't pursue because it is a private plant or what. I made sure that a few friends left work that night before me to see if he was waiting up the road but I never saw him again.

I can't get away with this stuff anymore - they'd know exactly where I was at with the exhaust being as loud as it is now.

I normally am very calm around cops (my dad is a 30 year active police captain) I always put my hands on the window sill as they walk up and I try to pull over in parking lots instead of the side of the road so the cop won't get clipped by a semi. They usually ask why I didn't pull over right away and this gives me a chance to tell them my dad is a cop and I would hate to see any cops get hurt on the roadside. That line usually gets me off with a warning.

I tried to outrun a cop once in the suby wagon unsuccessfully. That one resulted in a ticket. He even asked if I was trying to get away - he was going the other way on a long bridge and shot me and pointed at me as he went by, I knew he'd have a ways to go to turn around at the other end so I ran and took the first exit. I would have made it too but the guy in front of me at the light refused to take a right on red and the cop pulled in behind me and had a huge grin on his face.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
My days of out running cops are over (hopefully) but I've had my share. If I know I'm snagged and they cannot get out after me right away I will try to play hide and seek with them.

Once when coming home from SC (a visit with my gf at the time in Clemson) I was passing through Hazard County (it is a real place) on 76 and blew past a cop hiding in the midway while doing 80 - 90. Since there was a ton of traffic I puched it and raced as near to the closest exit as I could get, ducked and hid in between a couple of semi's then slipped off the exit and hid under the overpass. A few seconds later I heard them fly past overhead with the sirens blaring. Once my heart stopped racing I took the backroads and got back on the highway the next exit up.

Another time I was driving into Quakertown on 309 and flew past a cop who couldn't chase me immediately since he had to cross 2 lanes of traffic to come after me. I punched it (my usual reaction) and when I dropped out of sight on the backside of a hill I turned into the Kmart parking lot and flew into an empty spot near the front and watched as he screamed past the parking lot wondering where I disappeared to. With a little backroad navigation I went on my merry way.

The only time I ever got caught fleeing was when I passed a cop who was hiding up a side road. I had the feeling he had snagged me so I gunned it and raced for a couple of miles onto I78 before slowing down a little. I saw him later in the rearview mirror as he crested a hill with his lights flashing and his siren blaring. I calmly pulled over when he tucked in behind me and reacted very innocently to doing anything wrong. He clocked me doing 69 in a 50 zone but could not prove anything after that while he chased me blindly. He still cut me a break and knocked a bit off to bring the fine down to the next bracket but I can only imagine how fast he had to be going to catch up to me...lol.

There have been other occassions but I have also had my share of tickets. My meanest trick was when I worked in NJ and was following another guy in the passing lane doing 90 when the far right lane cleared up all the way to my exit. I slipped into that lane and was doing 108 when I flew past a cop hiding behind an island in the midway. I eased off the gas (no brake light action for sure) and continued to my exit while he proceeded to pass me and pull over the unlucky fool that I had been following in the passing lane. At least he was speeding at 90mph but I am sure he was quite angry when the officer insisted he was clocked at 108+. Oh well...I laughed all the rest of the way to work over that one. Ever since then I have tried to behave myself and have been rather reserved in my driving. Thank God that guy was not driving an SVX at the time or I might be afraid to be found at the Reading meet.

This was all years ago and any statute of limitations has long expired. This is not an admission of guilt and is for entertainment purposes only.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:05 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I wonder if having the SVX is a double edged sword.

On one hand, the cop would have a hard time describing your car to other officers if he was looking for you because he wouldnt know what kind of car it really was.

On the other hand it stands out so much that they would know it was your car if they saw you. And since there arent that many on the road if they target you they'll know what to look for. And plus, "be on the lookout for a 2 door sports car with funky windows".

Which one do you think would be the case?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 AM

i don't know about any other state, but it is illegal for a cop to hide...that is called a speed trap, and it is illegal in NJ. at night, they have to have their lights on, they can't hide behind anything (dumpster...semi's) it is hard to prove...but if you can...you will win and the cop will get into trouble.

always fight a ticket, even if you still get the ticket, it can be lowered...you can also ask for all the records..even the records of the radar gun...if any of them aren't correctly dated or what not, the case is dismissed. i watched a show the other night that gave a long list of things that you can do and say to get out of a ticket...so if you don't know the cop, there are ways you can get out of trouble. judges are more lenient to ppl that show dressed nicely and give their side of the story nicely and polietly. sometimes the officer himself will lower the ticket. talk to the procecuter too. utmost important though...BE NICE! if you have a bunch of infractions however...you are kinda screwed

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:12 AM

One time when me and a friend of mine were cruising around...(hyundai excel...riding in style) we encountered a cop and got a warning for having a headlight out. A few hours later we saw another cop pull out with his lights on and sirens blazing, so we took a side road and parked in some woman's driveway. This idea fell short however because the cop definately found us. and as he was giving his speach about headlights and safe driving, the woman arrived home just in time to yell some obsenities at us before we were allowed to leave.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Little different ... (of course!)

I was 18 years old, had been driving(with a license) for two years. I was coming back from a date at about 2am. In Salt Lake back in 1969 there was NO traffic after 12am. I pulled up to a stoplight. Stopped, and waited for the light to change. I waited... and waited... just looking at the light. I guess I was thinking about school and my night with the young Stephanie. So I just waited... After about 5 minutes the light changed... so.... I went through.... Not 20 yards after the intersection I saw Red Lights flashing in the rear window..(they didn’t' t change to blue until after sometime in the 70's). So I pulled over wondering what I had done. I rolled down the window as the officer came up. He asked for my license and registration (we didn't have to show proof of insurance in old day's either, it was assumed, as you signed a financial responsibility statement when you got your license). I asked him what I had done. He said, "Just wait here for a minute, son." So I waited... another 5 minutes went by. I was sweating bullets by now!.. He came back to the car and handed me my license and Reg back, and he started to write in a ticket book. Now I asked (very quietly), "Officer what did I do?" He handed me a slip of paper and said, " Son, I sat there and watched you at the stop light. While you were waiting at the light I wondered if your car had broken down or if you were just drunk or something. I called in your tags and they came back clean. I have been sitting there waiting for the repair crew to show up for almost 3 hours and watched most cars wait for a minute or two and then go through the light. Because the light is malfunctioning I haven't chased anyone down and given them a ticket. But you sat there and showed so much patience that I had to stop you and give you something that I thought I would never use. If you look at that ticket you will see it is a commendation for "Good Driving" with the incident noted." I have that "ticket" framed and on my wall right now....

Probably not the kind of story you were looking for here but still interesting.....no?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-09-2003, 11:50 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I bet you could use that to lower your insurance maybe?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
I don't think I need it...

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I bet you could use that to lower your insurance maybe?

Knocking and pounding on wood as I type this......

I have as low a rate as you can get... no accidents, no tickets, I don't smoke, Never had a DUI.... average blood presure (for a man my age)... I've been very lucky......

And the ticket is 30 years old.....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-09-2003, 12:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Re: Little different ... (of course!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I was 18 years old, had been driving(with a license) for two years. I was coming back from a date at about 2am. In Salt Lake back in 1969 there was NO traffic after 12am. I pulled up to a stoplight. Stopped, and waited for the light to change. I waited... and waited... just looking at the light. I guess I was thinking about school and my night with the young Stephanie. So I just waited... After about 5 minutes the light changed... so.... I went through.... Not 20 yards after the intersection I saw Red Lights flashing in the rear window..(they didn’t' t change to blue until after sometime in the 70's). So I pulled over wondering what I had done. I rolled down the window as the officer came up. He asked for my license and registration (we didn't have to show proof of insurance in old day's either, it was assumed, as you signed a financial responsibility statement when you got your license). I asked him what I had done. He said, "Just wait here for a minute, son." So I waited... another 5 minutes went by. I was sweating bullets by now!.. He came back to the car and handed me my license and Reg back, and he started to write in a ticket book. Now I asked (very quietly), "Officer what did I do?" He handed me a slip of paper and said, " Son, I sat there and watched you at the stop light. While you were waiting at the light I wondered if your car had broken down or if you were just drunk or something. I called in your tags and they came back clean. I have been sitting there waiting for the repair crew to show up for almost 3 hours and watched most cars wait for a minute or two and then go through the light. Because the light is malfunctioning I haven't chased anyone down and given them a ticket. But you sat there and showed so much patience that I had to stop you and give you something that I thought I would never use. If you look at that ticket you will see it is a commendation for "Good Driving" with the incident noted." I have that "ticket" framed and on my wall right now....

Probably not the kind of story you were looking for here but still interesting.....no?
Hah hah...very cool, Mitch

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
White Flash

My only experiance with running from the cops was while driving my familys 1991 Legacy L Wagon (white). I was and am Sixteen at the time, and was driving down my local road coming from home to go into town. this is 2 lane road with no passing zones and a speed limit of 55. It also happens to be a very smooth and in some places, straight road . I passed a cop going the other way so fast (105) that i didnt even have time to look and see if he had turned around, or even hit the brakes. At this point, in a panic, I slammed the car into fourth (previous owner had a different gearset or something installed, as the gearing is different than the gearing of our other legacy of the same year)jammed the accelerator to the floor, and used the backroads to finish my trip into town and back. I took as many illogical turns and routes as possible to avoid the PO's. I havent had a repeat experiance yet...but im sure its only a matter of time, as I am young and dumb
Old 02-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Superbeast

no brake lite action

That reminded me my BRAT had a brake lite kill switch on a toggle. When ever I went to dich a cop I'd just flick the switch kill the lites and turn down the first road I see. The two times I got away from the cops was in my BRAT.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
1974. Driving my girlfriend from D.C. to my home in Bluff City....to see the Springnationals drags at Bristol....I got nailed by the Virginia State Police outside Abingdon....doing 65 on the "fuel-crisis 55" on I-81. "Do you know how fast you were going?" I can't tell him that the Sprite's speedo, and tach don't work. "No sir".
So it's off to the county seat, and a $35 fine to the nice lady judge. I didn't have the cash, but my girlfriend did.

So I married her.

No, not the judge.....my girlfriend! (Jean) Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 02-09-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:11 PM
SVXdriver_007

Police Stories. Are we just talking about drivingod does anyone care about the time I got arrested on a Red Rose Transit bus...
Its not often you'll here me say this but having a blak honda civic has saved me a couple of times. Twice I flew buy a Cruiser on the highway on rt 2 doing around 100 miles an hour (yes it will) I kept the speed and merged into traffic. Got pulled over twice. Both times I claimed it wasn't me. Both officers claimed to have my plate. I called them on it no way you sitting beside the road at nite could have read my plate if I buzzed you at 100 mph. I also explained that a black is the most common colors of a civic. One cop let me go the other sent me to court where the ticket was dismissed. ^ years ago I had a Eclipse GS-T I flew up on a cruiser at 127 mph (or so the speedo said). He wasnt running his gun but obviously knew I was speading. I slowed down behind him, he pulled over than back out behind me 3 miles later he pulled me over for "exceeding 65mph"...thrown out at court.
Last one...When I was in the Navy I was driving a Govie in RI doing 82 on 95 north. there is an overpass that a cop is always sitting at. She pulled me over yelled at me for flying...then told me she appreciated the job i did but I neede to respect the job she does then sent me on my way.
Oh and when you do get nailed always plead not guilty...then in court ask them to reduce to failure to obey a posted sighn.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:42 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
In 18 years of driving, 3 speeding tickets and one illegal left-hand turn. Like many others who posted, I've managed to ditch the cops a few times. I only did it when it was obvious that the odds were strongly in my favor. I've managed to talk my way out of at least 5 tickets. That reminds me of one of the funniest incidents. I'm a chronic tailgater. One day I was driving down the local 4 lane highway doing about 75 in a 55 and coming up quickly on a guy going 60 in the left lane. Just as I'm starting to get close to let him know I'm there (and probably annoy the hell out of him), he sees a cop on the side of the road just finishing up giving someone a ticket. So the guy decides he needs to quickly slow down to 55. Trying not to slam on the brakes too hard as we go by the cop, I let my car get within a foot of the car in front of me. Thinking everything is fine, we both move over to the right lane and cruise at a safe 55 mph. Next thing I know, I see the cop in my review mirror coming up the road pretty quickly, and I just got that feeling. Sure enough, he pulls in behind me, so I pull over. After the pleasantries, he asks me if I know why he pulled me over. Since my radar detector hadn't gone off, I knew it wasn't for speeding. It had to be the tailgating so I say it, and he says, "When you went by, you were so close to that guy in front of you, I thought he was towing you." As it turns out the cop was pretty cool, and after telling me to not tailgate so badly, he let me go.

Anyhow, I was getting pretty close to the 10 year mark without a speeding ticket, and then my SVX fixed that about 3 months ago. 79 in a 55. I usually have pretty good luck talking the cops out of a ticket, but this guy was all business. Happened in Oregon, as did the infraction prior to that speeding ticket. Same deal with that ticket too; the cop was all business. My advice for those who are going through Oregon is to not speed or do anything that can get you an infraction. I think Oregon is hurting for money, and in an effort to generate revenue, the cops are ticketing everyone they can.

Because of those last two tickets, I've learned a bit about action that can be taken after getting a ticket. If you are willing to go to court, or in the case of a long distance ticket, call the court house, you have a very good chance of either getting your ticket reduced (or possibly dismissed) and/or getting probation. This is especially true if you have a clean record.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This was awhile ago I think I was 18 at the time. I had a car load of my friends and we were out for a ride. I was flying around the corners a usual and went sliding through a turn with all four wheels screaming. On the other side of the turn was an officer in one of those 3 wheeled parking meter wagons. I was going to stop. Really I was. I figured the odds were against me. This was Paterson, city streets, no where to hide and police with radios. I would be looking at about 40 in a 25 with reckless driving, fleeing from an officer and we were a car loaded with kids.

My friends are all yelling go, go, GO. So I went, floored it as I watch the guy turning around and his lights came on to chase us. Man that thing was slow. We went about 100 yards to a stop sign with 3 cars in front of me. Come on move, move, move, I knew these streets well and I thought I had to get through this stop sign and then 2 more lights before I was clear.

I moved up to the intersection but could not go. The officer cleared the crest in the road behind me with his light flashing. He was closing in. I pulled through the stop sign and made a right. Did he get my plate? No he was too far away. 50 feet to the TL. Come on light change. It does and I make a left as the pursuing officer is turning the last corner. About a quarter mile to the next light as fast as I could go and it was green. We never saw another officer again that night and avoided town on the way back.

It wasn’t funny then and was funny a few years later and isn’t funny anymore as I listen to my son telling me about running away from an officer in my SVX. (What ever would cause him to do that?) I am thinking that if he wasn’t in THAT car he would have been caught. So my sons friend tops it off with “C**** is a really good driver but he scared the $h!t out of me”.

Oh! The thrill and excitement of getting chased by a police officer.

I think I really need to get the family involved in auto-X.