Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Green1995SVX

I dont see any reason why the svx's engine wouldnt last that long if cared for properly. The svx's high gearing makes it work even less than the engine in the legacy, with less travels to higher RPMS.

Didnt sith know a svx tech who knew of a SVX with over 400k?

Mike
Old 01-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Beav, what's your opinion on the old GM 3.8 pushrod V6 engine?
My friend's '87 LeSabre has 337K on it & it ain't complainin'.
Yes - he changes the oil at 3-5K intervals.

Ron.
The old 3.8s are pretty good. It's the newer v-6s from the General that come up lacking. Then again Ford, Chrysler, Nissan and Toyota have some v-6 issues also.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Beav, what's your opinion on the old GM 3.8 pushrod V6 engine?
My friend's '87 LeSabre has 337K on it & it ain't complainin'.
Yes - he changes the oil at 3-5K intervals.

Ron.
that engine was great in my '87 Lesabre T-type. the AC, armrests (all tabs broken off - no replacements), warping plastic and vinyl, and rattles everywhere were not, however. that was my LAST American car. Subies from now on!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Registered SVX
U.S. Manf.

What has happened to the great American automobile ? Once upon a time they were the basis of judgement in respect of long service and reliability. No longer it appears. Or is there some prejudice here ?

Very few are now sold down this way nowdays but Continental cars give Japanese vehicles a run for their money in commercil terms and hold sway at the upper end of the market. The other resounding player is GM Holden but U.S. involvement is limited, and dare I say it, this would now seem from what has been said, to be to the marques advantage.

Please enlighten us down under.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Trevor, this is just my opinion, and not a very well thought out one, but I believe the trouble is along these lines for the US:

Management, engineering and factory workers are all at odds. too bad, but...

Short term profit horizons. Think return on investment this quarter.

Reliance on American patriotic values "Buy American". funny, the only full-sized pickup truck made on USA soil is/was the Toyota Tundra (others being Canada or Mexico).

Quality (TQM) style is a "buzzword for most".

Finally, as a representative feeling something the Rolling stones put in a song a few years back comes to mind (not an exact quote), "French girls want Cartier, Italian girls want cars...American girls want everything you could possibly imagine." What I'm saying here is we're spoiled and don't have the same work ethic our parents and grandparents had.

Lest all my fellow Americans thinks I'm bashing I'm not...just an opinion of what's happening. Perhaps more interesting is to look at how the British lost control of darn near half the planet - or the arrogance of how such a tiny place (in land mass) got it in the first place.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

I just wonder if some of our "quality" issues haven't been compounded by the computerized systems in today's vehicles. (I love to bash computers). Since they can compensate for gradual failure, the vehicle can continue to seemingly perform properly far beyond its limits of a few years ago. Then when the upper limits of the computerized "adjustments" have been reached, we're faced with a major repair bill. Most lazy Americans will ignore recommended service intervals as long as Bessie cranks up in the morning & cruises to the job every day. It wasn't THAT long ago that I replaced the plugs every 8-10K miles, when I detected a "miss". Plugs were 89 cents apiece, & you could reach all eight of 'em without a dental mirror & 2 universal swivels.

The enemy is us, no doubt - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:13 AM

Registered SVX
Yes I know exactly where you guys are coming from and the problem is that these factors tend to be universal even though delayed in more distant places. What is more communication is resulting in these trends tending to become all embracing.

Anyone got a soap box.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Hater

Re: U.S. Manf.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
What has happened to the great American automobile ? Once upon a time they were the basis of judgement in respect of long service and reliability. No longer it appears. Or is there some prejudice here ?

Very few are now sold down this way nowdays but Continental cars give Japanese vehicles a run for their money in commercil terms and hold sway at the upper end of the market. The other resounding player is GM Holden but U.S. involvement is limited, and dare I say it, this would now seem from what has been said, to be to the marques advantage.

Please enlighten us down under.
well, a Holden is coming here in the form of the Pontiac GTO. i've always liked the Holdens, and wondered why we couldn't get something like that in the U.S. until now. now GM's involvement may be more, unfortunately.

no prejudice here - i'll buy what i think is best (within my wallet's limit ) in terms of quality, reliability, and style. at the same time i had the '87 Buick, i had an '87 Porsche 928 - both with the same mileage give or take a few thousand. the difference the the materials and build on those cars was amazing. the 928 cost a hell of a lot more new, but at 15 years old was as solid and nice looking as the day it left the factory. the paint was better than my 5 year old SVX. i got asked alot if it was a "new Boxter"

it seems the problem with American cars is that style is more important than quality. i'd rather see improvements made to existing models than a new facelift every two years.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Reliable engines

A few good ones do come to mind...

Acura's original 2.5 V-6 as in the ' 86 Legend : We had 128K on it when I sold it to a Doctor friend who was driving approximately 120 miles per day to Salem, 90% freeway. It (the motor) had never been internally touched (other than a K&N, PCV & belts, oil and filter changes every 3K) except for a timing belt replacement @ 90K. He had the valve cover gaskets, the oil pan gasket and the O2 sensors done at 175K and drove it to 245K before he traded it in on a used 3.5RL last year. Says he got $3,000 for it because it was so clean in the engine compartment compared to every other one (including ones that were 7 years newer!) the buyer saw.

Chrysler 225 cu. in. Slant Six: almost unbreakable with minimal oil & coolant maintenance

'69-'70 2-barrel Chevy 350, if not abused

' 86 -' 91 Mercedes 4.2 V8, (or, if you can stand the stink, 3.0 5- Cylinder diesels): 8 quarts of 15W-40 SG/CD every 5K with a filter, changing plugs, coolant & filters every 30K, timing chain & rails @ 90K on the V8 and it should be good to go for 300K (I sincerely hope!)

Actually, the SVX motor is way over-engineered for most "normal" use with a large quantity of oil, an effective cooling system, forged engine components, low rpm at normal speeds = less stress which should = long service. Maintenance is the key, however.