Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Front End Shake Puzzle

The front end of my '94 LS FRONT wheel drive has begun shaking intermittently at about 60 mph on the freeway- more on curves. It shakes hard for about a second and a half and then stops for half a second, then repeats. It's perfectly smooth up to 60 and smooths out again somewhat around 70. The other night I removed the front wheels and checked the ball joints (with a pry bar), checked the tie rod ends, struts, etc., and found no wear or play anywhere. Then I rotated the tires front to back to see if that would change anything. I got the same oscillation even after doing that. So, I took it to a nearby tire, brake & muffler shop this morning. They spent about 90 minutes trying to diagnose it and couldn't find anything deficient in the front suspension either. They did show me that my right front tire had a little wobble when spinning that indicated a tire with separating belts and/or a bent rim. Tonight I swapped that one out with a spare wheel & tire I had and it made no difference. Vibration seems to be worse under acceleration than coasting. I'm stumped-- any suggestions?

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 11-05-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Front End Shake Puzzle

If for whatever reason changing the tire out doesn't resolve your issue, find a shop that uses a Hunter Road Force balancer to better pinpoint the problem.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM
<<<Alcyone

I had something similar happen on my Exploder in the past. I'd be driving along and the steering wheel would rip out of my hands, jerking back and forth . . . not fun at freeway speeds on curvy roads!

I had done some front end work replacing tie-rod ends, ball joints, etc. What had happened in my case was that I had moved the steering rack back and forth several times during the work with the engine off and got some air into the system. The fix was to sit in place (in gravel or loose soil is the best) with the engine running and slowly turn from full lock to full lock and back a few times to get the air worked out.

Good luck, I hope it's a free fix like it was for me!

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM

I thought about it being air in the P/S system because I just replaced the timing belt and water pump and disconnected the P/S return hose in the process. I hadn't noticed the problem before that.

I replaced the P/S tank O-ring, filled it up and cranked the wheel back and forth a bunch of times with no effect on the problem. Maybe I didn't do it enough to clear the air out of the system, or it's another problem.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

I had a similar thing with mine. Did you check your air pressure? Also, take the ball joints all the way out and fiddle with them to see if they're worn out. When I replaced mine it stopped every little shudder.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 AM

Well, I bled the power steering again by finding some loose gravel and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock about 40 times rapidly-- it was a good arm workout. That seems to have reduced most of the vibration at 60 mph so I'd say at least part of the problem was air in the system. The remaining minor vibration feels like maybe a wheel out of balance which is easy enough to correct. Thanks to Dan for suggesting it's better to do it in loose gravel or dirt.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner