How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 AM

A/c Compressor Seals

Hi Fellows,

I just spent a little time attempting to locate overhaul parts (shaft seal, gaskets, bearing) for the Zexel DCW-17BE air conditioning compressor used on early SVZ engines. No real success. I found a number of places offering "reconditioned" compressors, but couldn't find a source for parts.

Rock Auto looked promising as they had both the bearings and the seal kit listed - but, what came in the post looks all wrong.

Has anyone been able to fine a source?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: A/c Compressor Seals

I'm interested in this too..... the cheapest brand new OEM compressor I've found is around 700 USD.

Mine ain't leaking, but doesn't do a good job anymore..... I think the internal electric actuator (variable discharge) is not functioning.

Would be interesting to take it apart but I too need the seals and gaskets

Tapani
Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Registered SVX

even if you locate a seal kit it's very difficult to rebuild without the proper tools. they have special pullers and installers for the seals to avoid damaging them. i happen to have the compressor tools but wouldn't recommend buying them, they cost more than a compressor and then you still have to do all the work. it is possible to do without the tools but difficult even if you are skilled. then you won't know if something isn't quite right until after you put it on and recharge the system.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM

In searching around it seems that perhaps more than one compressor was used. Several sites list different units for '92-93 than for 94-97. The early one I have is Zentex DCW-17BE. Anyone have a later car, and know what the compressor numbers are? Anyone know which is a better compressor?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM

I already have it apart. Fairly straight-forward work, as compressors go. All moot however, since the parts cannot be found.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Registered SVX

the later compressors are probably better if you plan on using r134a but if you wan't r12 use the older compressor. r12 is really expensive but a much better refrigerant. did you find anything wrong with it when you took it apart? if you can reseal without the tools then all the better, was advising from experience because the smallest knicks or misalignment and ruin the seals.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Yes, expanding the lip seal over the step in the shaft is where most damage is done. Without the special plastic tool, it can be done using an appropriate sleeve and heat shrink.

I did finally find the shaft lip seal available at AUTO ZONE. Will just build it back up with that. No, I saw no sign of damage inside. The wobble plate, pistons and so forth look clean and sound. None of the bores are scratched.

I noticed that at one of the official Subaru parts sites, the later units are 500 or so and the '92-93 compressors are 760. Why I don't know.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Registered SVX

Did you check the operation of the actuator I mentioned below? Can that be accessed w/o taking the whole compressor apart? The computer control is ok, that I have checked.

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Well Tapani, if you apply 12 VDC across the two pins in that connector, you should be able to hear the solenoid click inside. If you want to actually have a look at the solenoid valve, then you will have to take off the rear cap section of the compressor. I did that, and found that the valve was frozen solid.

The question then is where can you find a replacement solenoid? Or replacement gaskets?

I was not able to find a source, and so have scrapped the compressor. Without spare parts available, they must be looked upon as one-shot expendables.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah, last time I looked I found a ton of Chinese manufactures willing to make one.... or actually 10.000 .

Are the later compressors also variable discharge or do you we have to convert to a cycling system?

Thanks,

Tapani