Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Trying to remove my tranny pan... it's STUCK...

Any advice on removing the tranny pan? I removed all the bolts, but it looks like there was some red gasket sealer on there and now I can't seem to separate it from the tranny housing. It's REALLY tough to do while under the car with jack stands.

I really don't want to refill the tranny without getting the old filter replaced... Thanks.

Clarke
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Trying to remove my tranny pan... it's STUCK...

Use a screwdriver or putty knife to cut through the RTV.

Be careful not to gouge the aluminum tranny.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Is there supposed to be RTV there, or was that someones half ass excuse for a gasket?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
Is there supposed to be RTV there, or was that someones half ass excuse for a gasket?
Should be a gasket. Fasteners should be tightened to only 2.5-3.3 ft-lb.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

'

The transmission pan should have a gasket. The part number is 31397AA040...Runs about $19.00

The engine oil pan does not have a gasket, however.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

I finally got the pan off yesterday. I'm in the process of removing all the red RTV... what a pain.

I bought the Pro-King transmission filter kit from Advanced Auto Parts, but the one they recommend is not correct. Their lookup said I needed to use FK-380, but I really needed FK-237.

This was clearly spelled out in the Internal Transmission Filter Change PDF, but I somehow trusted the Advanceautoparts.com database... Stupid me.

The kit came with a cork gasket, is that correct? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
I finally got the pan off yesterday. I'm in the process of removing all the red RTV... what a pain.

I bought the Pro-King transmission filter kit from Advanced Auto Parts, but the one they recommend is not correct. Their lookup said I needed to use FK-380, but I really needed FK-237.

This was clearly spelled out in the Internal Transmission Filter Change PDF, but I somehow trusted the Advanceautoparts.com database... Stupid me.

Clarke
I'd go with an OEM gasket versus the cork one.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM

OK, so apparently there is no gasket for mid year 1995 and newer, you are supposed to use sealant. The pan part number even changed at that time.

According to Subaruparts.com there is a change at chassis #920972-

My pan has little grooves stamped between the bolt holes of the pan. I'm assuming this is to hold a quantity of sealant in place. I guess the older pans were flat and used a gasket. Oh well, I've changed my filter and ended up using what was left of my black RTV that I used on my oil pump. Hopefully it'll be all dry tomorrow evening and I can then refill the tranny. I ended up getting a touch less more than 8 quarts out of the pan. Not too bad...

By the way, the gasket that came with my filter did not line up with the holes in my pan.

Clarke
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

Quote:

Clarke
Hmm, I bought one a while back from Advanced and I haven't installed it yet. It looks like they gave me FK-280. Did you mean to type FK-280 or 380? Also, do you know what the difference is between the correct one and the wrong one they gave you?

I tried to install mine and had the same issues, couldn't get the pan off because there was excessive red gasket sealer on the pan. After much struggle I just put it back together and decided to wait till it was warmer out.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

All the pans have the grooves stamped in them--they are all the same; they all use gaskets. I've gotten core transmissions with the pan put on with rtv like that before. I don't have any problems getting them off but I have a great selection of tools and am working comfortably on work height work benches and work carts. The good news is it usually comes off with the pan leaving the transmisison mostly clean. Cork gaskets usually require retorqueing after time. Fiber gaskets usually don't. The OE gasket is an especially thick fiber gasket. Transtec makes a good, thin fiber gasket which is a good choice if you have a pan nobody has overtorqued before or you can do a good job straightening the pan. Most SVX pans these days have been overtorqued at some point by now. This makes the thicker OE gasket a better choice. You should still nock the dimples around the bolt holes from overtorqued bolts back the other way.