IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Wtf now? Squealing??

Here's what happened...

I was driving on my way to work this morning as usual and I'm hearing a squealing noise.. Kinda resembles a very annoying long bird chirp, cause that's what I thought it was at first. As the long bird chirp followed my car onto the freeway, I realized there was something wrong..

Sounds are hard to imitate with text but it was a "squeak, squeak, squeeeeeak!" Seemed like it was coming from the passenger side of the car but I'm not 100% sure. My guess is either something was stuck(frozen maybe) then became unstuck or something was broken and is now... more broken, cause it only lasted for less than a minute when I started onto the highway..

Also, once I arrived to work, I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the engine compartment.. This may be unrelated cause I believe it's just power steering fluid burning off somewhere cause I know I'm leaking that somewhere..

Any help is greatly appreciated!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 01-20-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 AM

Re: Wtf now? Squealing??

My guess would be a belt tensioner complaining, and/or a belt slipping. First thing I'd do is loosen the PS/ALT belt and see if the tensioner pulley is turning freely and quietly. Give the power steering pump and alternator a spin, too.

dcb
Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

So is this a dire problem that needs my attention as soon as possible or can it wait till I get off from work at 6:00 and bring it to OT(about 15 miles from work)? Or should I call and bug him, have him drive up here and fix it now? I was also planing on driving out to lunch(about 3 miles)... Bad idea?
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
So is this a dire problem that needs my attention as soon as possible or can it wait till I get off from work at 6:00 and bring it to OT(about 15 miles from work)? Or should I call and bug him, have him drive up here and fix it now? I was also planing on driving out to lunch(about 3 miles)... Bad idea?
Call him and bug him.
He needs the money.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Call him and bug him.
He needs the money.
I'll call you when I go to lunch at around 11:30. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I will also call and bug him tomorrow (well PMs)... waiting for the thing he promised to get 10 days ago...

Messrs Abrahams and Hamiltons are ready for takeoff

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I will also call and bug him tomorrow (well PMs)... waiting for the thing he promised to get 10 days ago...

Messrs Abrahams and Hamiltons are ready for takeoff
I'll make the call.
But they told me that the new studs would not even be made untill the end of January.
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I thought the 21st of Jan...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Called OT with no luck. Guess he was busy.

As for the squealing/squeaking, I went out for lunch so I started to drive off and heard TWO "squeak squeak" noises, so it was less severe as it was before. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side.. Maybe interior.. Could it be the fuel pump dying? Something with the wheels? Struts are going? Or maybe just a mouse? lol

I have no clue what it is but help is still appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Check out the fan/alternator belts man! they should be loose. Check out all the bolts of the pulleys or in their mechanism...

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM

10 characters.

Last edited by essveeexxee; 10-19-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Fan, hm... It still sounded like it was coming from the passenger side from the inside.. I guess I'll just have to make a stop tonight to get it fixed up. I'll end up posting the results here of what was wrong and how it was fixed(if we find out) so that people who may have similar problems can look it up.

I'll call you again around 2:00 OT..
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by essveeexxee View Post
I am going to guess it has something to do with your front passenger side brake calipers. I had something similar happen with my '96 Chevy 1500 4x4.

I had new brakes and rotors put on maybe 2 months ago.. That sounds like it could be the problem but even if I had no troubles till now? Also, it's not lasting very long.. Maybe only 15 to 30 seconds earlier and only 5 seconds the other time I drove today..
Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I'll call you again around 2:00 OT..

My phone powered down.
Sorry.