Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Is FWD front diff the same as AWD front diff

Just bought my first SVX. It's a 94 FWD with a bad front diff. I have a AWD trans from a 95 Legacy 2.2.
Are the front diffs interchangeable?

Thanks Jeff
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Re: Is FWD front diff the same as AWD front diff

the legacy has a different gearing ratio, but the transmission should fit, however I'm not sure if just the differential will fit
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes, the front differentials are interchangable. You will replace the 3.70 gears in the FWD SVX trans with the 4.11's out of the legacy trans

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Can I just use the AWD trans and front diff and take off the tail shaft and put the tail shaft cover from the FWD trans on the AWD trans?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Can I just use the AWD trans and front diff and take off the tail shaft and put the tail shaft cover from the FWD trans on the AWD trans?
Yes you can and it is much easier, I was under the assumption that the AWD trans was bad w/ a good diff and the other way around for the FWD trans.

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM

That would be great!!!

After I take the tail shaft housing off, what else has to come off the back off the AWD trans so that the FWD rear cover fits?

Thanks Jeff
Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Maniac modifier

You will need to change the sun gears... a 35mm socket will loosen the pinion nut and the output shaft should pull right out. use a 2 bolt puller to get the sun gear off the end of the pinion shaft.

NOW... IMPORTANT. When removing the sun gears from the FWD trans, be sure to mark the gears where they intersect... Mark two teeth on the output shaft and one tooth on the pinion gear. This way when you re-assemble they go together with the same teeth interlocking. This is important because the gears are not only a matched set but they also should be kept as they were in the old trans...

Hope all this helps.

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM

I take it that the sun gears are only on the FWD cars and they will be replacing something that I have to pull off the AWD trans.
Thanks again Jeff
Old 06-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tom, I'm need to jump in here. We've had a couple PM's. Tomorrow the entire tranny and diff will be dropped from the '92 Teal. Still haven't found a replacement tranny and diff with low enough mileage. My problem is a bad diff. You said labor time would be lower with an entire replacement, such as a 4.44. This is a first time effort so please excuse the noobie talk. Do you recommend trying one of the diff offers here knowing my lack of knowledge? This gear ratio thing is fast becomming confusing. There's a '96 Legacy available at the shop with a 2.2 engine which I assume is a 4.11. Would that require a rear diff change? The shop I'm at is a friend of 30 years but he specializes in Volvo/Mercedes/BWB and Porsche. He's facinated by the car but doesn't pretend to know the options open to me. Has done a great job with normal brake, axle, AC maintenace.
Gene

PS: I gave Nicholas the "one wrench" instructions on removing the tranny and he said "duh". Crazy Serbs
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 06-16-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I take it that the sun gears are only on the FWD cars and they will be replacing something that I have to pull off the AWD trans.
Thanks again Jeff
Yes the sun gears are and will look identical, but they are a matched set and need to be changed in pairs... Problem is, the AWD output shaft is connected to the top sun gear and since the output shaft from an AWD has the transfer clutch drum on it, it cannot be used. You could press the sun gears off the output shafts and switch them around but it would prob be easier to do as I have already suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
Tom, I'm need to jump in here. We've had a couple PM's. Tomorrow the entire tranny and diff will be dropped from the '92 Teal. Still haven't found a replacement tranny and diff with low enough mileage. My problem is a bad diff. You said labor time would be lower with an entire replacement, such as a 4.44. This is a first time effort so please excuse the noobie talk. Do you recommend trying one of the diff offers here knowing my lack of knowledge? This gear ratio thing is fast becomming confusing. There's a '96 Legacy available at the shop with a 2.2 engine which I assume is a 4.11. Would that require a rear diff change? The shop I'm at is a friend of 30 years but he specializes in Volvo/Mercedes/BWB and Porsche. He's facinated by the car but doesn't pretend to know the options open to me. Has done a great job with normal break, axle, AC maintenace.
Gene

PS: I gave Nickolas the "one wrench" instructions on removing the tranny and he said "duh". Crazy Serbs
Yes, the trans you speak of out of the legacy w/ a 2.2 is more than likely a 4.11 gear ratio. Yes you would need to change it. I can get a hold of a SVX trans but will cost about $800 shipped to you. Let me know what you want to do Gene

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

My '92 with 79,500K and a rebuilt trans I'd like to keep stock but, the '92 Teal with 115,00K on a working tranny but bad diff I'm a little unsure of how to go. It can afford to sit until I get my ducks in a row and understand this conversion business. Shouldn't I try for something different. Your price is certainly good.
Gene

Last edited by bwb3; 06-16-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
My '92 with 79,500K and a rebuilt trans I'd like to keep stock but, the '92 Teal with 115,00K on a working tranny but bad diff I'm a little unsure of how to go. It can afford to sit until I get my ducks in a row and understand this conversion business. Shouldn't I try for something different. Your price is certainly good.
Gene
Problem is, people have found the 4.11's to be even less reliable than the stock autos, which is why if people are wanting the change their FD ratios Tom and I both recommend the 4.44. the stockers are pretty good if they were rebuilt properly... The trans I have in mind is svxpert's and i believe it is a factory reman than shifted perfectly, he opted out to the 6mt with his 2.5l turbo SVX

Tom
Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Got the transmission out and the diff off. Found about 4 teeth missing and the gear attached to the output shaft is mangled.

What causes this to happen?

Tom, I pm'd you.

Gene
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Maniac modifier

The transfer clutch drum probably sheered and the driver may have had some fun doing some burnouts Its not the first time it happened and I am sure it won't be the last... I returned your PM

Tom