Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroneko_sama
its hard to feel cool driving a minivan though
I disagree.

I feel pimptastic drivin a 96 Caravan around.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Locker Link Solution

did you ever check your fuses?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:38 AM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
fuses checked, all look good. any ideas?
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 PM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
so anyway, as far as i can tell all the fuses look perfect, any particulars i should pay extra attention to? ... im still wondering whatthe hell that harness this is for anyway... i connected it again to see what happened... and my passenger side door locked.... oddly enough my fob locks like it should whter or not that harness is in....

anybody got a clue....????

im not turning up any codes, and clearing the codes (even though there are none anyway) doesnt do a thing

my check engine light is just flat out blinking constantly whenever i turn the key... engine doesnt even have to be running.

anyone have the full wiring schematics that would point me to the possible things to look at?
previous SVXi:
Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroneko_sama
so anyway, as far as i can tell all the fuses look perfect, any particulars i should pay extra attention to? ... im still wondering whatthe hell that harness this is for anyway... i connected it again to see what happened... and my passenger side door locked.... oddly enough my fob locks like it should whter or not that harness is in....
You really, really need to stop plugging this thing into that thing just to see what happens. If everything in your car worked, then it matters not why that harness is there. It's probably an access point for some Subaru diagnostic equipment. Whatever, let it go.

You know what a blown fuse looks like, right? If the thin "bridge" between the blades of the fuse is broken, it's blown. If a fuse were blown, though, you'd probably notice something obvious not working. I don't think a blown fuse would cause a blinking CEL.

If it were my car, I'd probably be on the lookout for a used ECU. Wild guess, but it seems as good a place as any to start. Good luck.

dcb
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
aka sir_romeo

of course i know what a blown fuse looks like, and as i said they looked perfect...

ive heard sometimes fuses can be "blown" without breaking the bridge, so short of taking a tester to each individual one... the fuses are not a problem.

the car operates like new, i simply want to know how to stop the blinking light (short of removing the bulb that causes the light or covering it with a piece of tape)

a full on "reset" would be great but ive already taken the battery out for 24 hours, and had the codes cleared even though i was not pulling any codes.

and i would think that if there was something ANYTHING unexplained about the car, people on this site would like to know what it is...

dont treat me like an idiot, i got the car a month ago (ive had 2 svx's before this one) and in "untangling the mess" of loose wires left from the autostarter that is in it, i came across a harness that looked liek it should have been connected. once connected the light started blinking.

the autostarter looks liek it was installed in someones girage and is missing the little harness that connects to the door locks....

i was looking into cleaning up in there and possibly jsut removing the autostarter

i am not a master mechanic like some of you, and i am also not a complete idiot... dont assume i am either.

i simply have a blinking light, and a harness that im not sure belongs connected.

i only want to know how to get that light to stop blinking, and to know if that harness needs to be in the car.

(everything has been cleaned up with the autostarter... i have installed them before)

i know there are some "subaru technicians" on this site and people that have taken these things apart and putthem back together from the ground up. i just want some information... not to be berrated because i made a mistake thinking the previous owners had unplugged something that should have been in.
previous SVXi:
Old 10-26-2006, 05:24 AM

Look, as everyone who hangs-out here is well aware, I'm no mechanic. You said, "as far as i can tell all the fuses look perfect," implying to the uninformed reader that you might not know what a blown fuse looks like. No insult intended.

As to being berated, yes, I poked fun at your mistake, but you did entitle your thread, "I think I did something stupid..." When it comes to doing stupid things, I can certainly relate.

If someone here thinks he or she can provide helpful advice, even if it's guesswork, they will. The fact that nobody has answered your question to your satisfaction means nobody who read of your problem has any advice for you. Copping an attitude isn't likely to help.

dcb
Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 AM
aka sir_romeo

update (a year later) for anoyone who was curious

i took it to the mechanic in the spring after storing her for the winter

apparently the harness was supposed to be connected as i had originally thought (it wasnt connected when i got it) and the reason it blinked is that one of the sides of the harness was partially disconnected at the other end wherever it led to, they just deemed it as "loose connection"

41 bucks for a 20 minute diagnostic , recconect and code clearing....

...if your gonna get an autostarter, please dont "wing it" let someone who knows what to do, install it

bad enough they didnt hook it to control the locks, nor did they include the wire harness that connected the module to the locks

shes never given problems since and has always driven like new

goes to show the frustration one can go through when getting a car with a "mysterious past"

at least it was jsut a $41 reconnect and not a full ecu swap
previous SVXi:
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
I just saw your thread as I only joined this network about a month ago. Thanks for the update. I can't believe someone didn't look at there's and see that they "were" supposed to be connected and tell you that. Now you got me curious. I will look under my dash and see if they are connected. Thanks again for the update. I always read these "Technical Q&A" threads to learn more and more about this car.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 AM
aka sir_romeo

be careful if you do tinker under there..... there are several harnesses that DONT belong connected that fit the one that i did (check for gunk around the line where the other connector end would have been...aka evidence that it had been previously connected) if your car drives problem free with no engine light, i wouldnt worry bout it, otherwise do like i did and sport the 40 bucks to have the dealer do it. it freaked me out and aside from not driving my car all winter (a pro AND a con) i would have liked to have had the option to not worry bout it. i learned the hard way, learn from my mistake. i was lucky that my car was 100% uneffected as a result.

"if its not broken...dont fix it"
previous SVXi: