How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2002, 02:31 AM
punisher

Oil change....

I had the car in today for a general diagnoses. The mechanic noted a 'minor oil leak at oil filler tube o-ring.' There are no pools (or even drips) of oil or any other liquid under my car, so the leak can't be that substantial. Now, the car is due for an oil change. I have no idea what this filler tube o-ring thing is. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?? Is the o-ring something I can have any place replace when I get my oil changed, or is it a special order (SVX) part? Is it even worth fussing about??

I would just hate to have my oil changed later this week, only to find that the dealership will have to change the oil again when they replace this leaking o-ring. I guess I should have asked the fella there, but these things have just come to mind.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:41 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The o-ring is on the plastic filler tube and that bolts to the valve cover. The o-ring gets hard from the heat and then it leaks. The hotter the engine gets the more it leaks. I sealed mine with RTV and its been fine. There are (2) 10mm head bolts that hold it to the valve cover. Once replaced it should not leak again for many miles.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:32 PM
punisher

Thanks for the reply. RVT is some sort of glue?

I guess if the worst that is happening is a slight leak I should be ok. I'll just have to check the oil a bit more often. I'd like to perhaps try your method of sealing it, but I actually have no idea about this sort of thing. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what a valve cover is or where I would find this o-ring.

Perhaps I'll get a 'how to change the oil' book out some where and figure this stuff out.

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The o-ring is on the plastic filler tube and that bolts to the valve cover. The o-ring gets hard from the heat and then it leaks. The hotter the engine gets the more it leaks. I sealed mine with RTV and its been fine. There are (2) 10mm head bolts that hold it to the valve cover. Once replaced it should not leak again for many miles.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Oil leak

Follow the oil filler tube down to where it attached to the engine. At that spot there is a ring to allow for the two pieces of metal to adjust to temp changes seperately (like a seam in concrete). As the car ages and goes through the hot and cold process. It shouldn't be much harder to replace than unscrewing the bolts that hold it in and putting a new one on there. RVT is a gasket sealer .
Old 07-09-2002, 12:59 AM

oil filler tube O ring

I had this problem earlier in the year...
THere is an O ring where the filler tube enters the valve cover. ALL of the suggestions made so far seem more then workable to me.

Mine looked real bad at first, but seems to have stopped... I"ve got the O ring but have yet to install it...
THat will come soon.. I"m happy to just replace O rings... It's the other gaskets I worry about.. DON't ya know valve cover gaskets gota be a pain!.

SVX1999
Old 07-09-2002, 06:56 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: oil filler tube O ring

Quote:
Originally posted by svx1999
DON't ya know valve cover gaskets gota be a pain!.

SVX1999
The passenger side valve cover is easy, the driver side - while, figure it taking roughly the same amount of patience as it takes to change the spark plugs twice.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Re: oil filler tube O ring

Hmm...I haven't done the passenger side, but the driver side wasn't really that hard. The hardest part was the bolts near the bottom rear. A long handled ratcheting flat wrench (mechwrench?) would've really sped things up.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
The passenger side valve cover is easy, the driver side - while, figure it taking roughly the same amount of patience as it takes to change the spark plugs twice.