Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 07:39 AM
billisa

Marvel Mystery Oil

A friend recommended putting 8oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil in with the next oil change. Swears by it and claims it cleans off any deposits/varnish that may have built up in the engine. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on the best standard type of oil to use?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:07 AM
red95svx

I've worked at an auto parts store for a few years now, and lots of people swear by Marvin Mystery oil.

As for regular engine oil, I love Mobile 1 synthetic. In fact, I just read an article in an auto magazine that said Mobile engineers stated that if vehicle manufacturers started to recommend oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals, Mobile 1 would have no problem meeting that requirement.......it's that good at resisting breakdown.

David

Last edited by red95svx; 07-01-2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:51 AM

MOtor oils and M Mystry oil.

Hey there,
Noticed your lil reply about Mobil 1... Well they have been producing oil for 100 years, one would think they got an idea or 3 about it..Yeah Mobile 1 has always been said 10k miles each change. It reisists lots of things.
I have used it in many cars. I have an old 86 continental with 240 thousand miles. Engine and trans are all original.
After sitting for 2 years without being started... Cranked right up. Engine sounds good.. I"ve always heard a tiny teeny bit of bearing chatter, that was over 150k miles ago.
I"ve ran the car on mobile ever since I bought it.
Also have access to ( have done most work) on a 87 continental where mobile 1 was not used.. There is a difference being the 87 needs a new rear seal. KInda hard to tell really. 302's are hard to kill. the 86 just runs better.... ALways did..
I"ve used mobile in all the famlies cars.... Cause , well some forget to change the oil every 3k miles.... So it's nice to know there is a lil added protection...

ON a down note according to a couple of race shops I go by. Mobile's wear data was not as good as in the past... So somethings up..
I think mobile oils are about the best off the shelf a person can get.... Besides Redline, Amsoil... and believe it or not Teflon does work... however for the 25 cents worth of actuale teflon you get in the stuff on the shelf(slick 50 and others)... um it's ain't worth it.. i knew a guy that had a supply of teflon in powder form I guess...
He was a chemist ... He did a few test and sure enough there was improvements... He would drop about 2 tablespoons in the crankcase. some would be trapped by the filter some would not depends on the size...
THere is yet another friction modifier .... IT's a breed between teflon and PTFE is teflon I think... FOrgive me engeineers and chemist out there. damn Flurotetrahydroethalene.......... Well **** I"ll have to look it up.... I just know the man who founded it did a lot of work in semi conductors as well. I have heard some stories about marvel oil... If anything it will clean out some build up.. Like any other detergent additive always remember, High mileage does season the seals a bit, Remove the seasoning and you might spring a leak... If you car has lower mileage you may be ok...
If the wheel is working why try and fix it.????

3 big things to do to any SVX, change the oil regularly, change the tranny fluid ( often) and keep the injectors clean....
I gota a feeling the injectors and intake get carbon build up quick.

And the best suggestion I heard ( might be overkill) pull the plug on the tranny drain pan, ( about 6 quarts is all that will drain)
do this about every 2nd to 3rd oil change.. 6 quarts of fluid even over a years time would not equale the cost of a tranny..
IT's sad Subaru makes a 1k bucks on the reman trannys. someone told me they really only cost about $1600 maybe 1700 now... THe dealerships retail them out for $2800 or more...
sorry for the long and rambling post
SVX1999