How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-09-2002, 12:32 AM

Registered SVX
Quick Rack, to improve handling.

Has anyone fitted or considered fitting a quick rack?

All those posting appear to be interested only in standing quarter times whereas I am interested in A to B performance and the fun to be had on a winding road. The stock standard chassis dynamics are excellent but the stock steering ratio is a little too low to explore and exploit them with real confidence.

Alternatively has anyone played with the power steering to improve feed back? As far as I know mine is speed sensitive.

I have considered a smaller steering wheel but this would be rather radical and my car has sound system controls on the wheel.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-09-2002, 04:52 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Maybe consider grabbing a couple used front knuckles and having the tie rod holes shortened up a tad - that would quicken the steering and leave you an out if it didn't work to your satisfaction.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Beav, I had thought of that but ruled it out on the assumption that this could not be done without upsetting the steering geometry but I now realise I should have had a good look at the set up first.

Do you think this would in fact be on as I know of a car which has been stripped for parts? Regards, Trevgor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If you can find a proficient welder/machinist it shouldn't be much of a problem. The Ackerman principle will still play out if the tie rod attachment point is on the same plane. I don't know if you're familiar with older Corvettes, but they came 'factory equipped' with two sets of attachment holes for the tie rods for just such reasons.

You know as well as I do that the only impediment to progress is lack of funding. heheheheh
Old 06-11-2002, 03:41 AM

Registered SVX
I know of plenty who could do the job but there is a snag.
The powers that be have dictated that any modified vehicle or a one off has to have approval from one of a number of engineers who have been licensed. Just how they would regard welded OM steering parts I do not know but I know a guy who is licensed and will look into it.

This used to be a great place for home built specials and kit cars but the current rules have made it much more expensive. There was a bad prang involving a poorly engineered road going hot rod some years back when several were killed and this was the catalyst.

Interesting that this driver related and rather technical enquiry has had only your reply.