Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Final Completion...Remaining Punchlist

I finally got everything back together and road worthy. There are still some problems that I am having which have me quite stumped. For one thing, there are times when my battery drains. The battery is a new optima red top, so it should not be a problem. Once I charge it the voltage is good and seems to recharge. Its almost like something in my car is draining it. I am thinking of attaching an ammeter to the battery when the car is off to see if something is drawing current when it is sitting.

I also have no tach readings whatsoever. My check engine light is always on (which is normal since I do not control injectors or spark anymore from the ECU) and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the problem. I know that the check engine light is connected to the speed sensor circuit.

My rearview mirror is very loose. Tried to tighten see if I could tighten the little ball and socket, but could not get it apart. I don't want to break it.

I keep smelling gas. Can't find a fuel leak anywhere. My Fuel pressure is good (I have a guage). I doubt anyone can help me with this since I have completely modded the rails.

Any advice?

I'm also looking for a used front mount intercooler. Specifically I am looking for a used precision, or a spearco with a core 6x24x(whatever thickness 3-4") with end tanks less than 29" total core and tank length at the top, 2 1/2" intake and exhaust located at the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Frequent User

Draining battery:
-short in wires going into visors?
- light in trunk staying on even with trunk closed?
- power line associated with standalone system grounding out?
- alternator not charging battery, thus running off of battery while driving around

Gas smell:
- faulty FPR
- leak in fuel line under intake
- faulty injector(s) - pumping raw gas into intake after engine shut off
- faulty injector(s) - pumping an overly rich "shot" into the intake runners - resulting in incomplete burning (check condition of plugs once engine cools down enough)
- pinhole leak(s) in "modded" injector rails (you'll have to have them pressure tested)

Last edited by SVXelerator; 01-11-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=cdigerlando]I finally got everything back together and road worthy. There are still some problems that I am having which have me quite stumped. For one thing, there are times when my battery drains. The battery is a new optima red top, so it should not be a problem. Once I charge it the voltage is good and seems to recharge. Its almost like something in my car is draining it. I am thinking of attaching an ammeter to the battery when the car is off to see if something is drawing current when it is sitting.
Any advice?

QUOTE]

Yes do so, lift off the ground connection and insert a meter in series. Then check as various items are switched on or otherwise energised.
You should also pull fuses one by one and note if a recorded current drain ceases. You will then know what circuit to trace.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Problems

Great ideas guys. Thanks.

I actually had some injector rail leaks where they were welded. Had them rewelded twice Now I can't see any leaks. My fuel rail system is now custom and simplified from the stock arangement. I was thinking of pulling the rails from the motor and energizing the fuel pump to see if I see any leaks into the intakes, or like was said, one of the injectors is failing to close, since I cannot see any visible leaks. If everything is OK I was thinking of draining the fuel and blowing some smoke into the system. Then using my compressor rubber nozzle to pressure test the system with a couple of psi of air.

Still stumped about the tach. Pehaps this is the trouble with the electrical? I'll try these things this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Great ideas guys. Thanks.

I actually had some injector rail leaks where they were welded. Had them rewelded twice Now I can't see any leaks. My fuel rail system is now custom and simplified from the stock arangement. I was thinking of pulling the rails from the motor and energizing the fuel pump to see if I see any leaks into the intakes, or like was said, one of the injectors is failing to close, since I cannot see any visible leaks. If everything is OK I was thinking of draining the fuel and blowing some smoke into the system. Then using my compressor rubber nozzle to pressure test the system with a couple of psi of air.

Still stumped about the tach. Pehaps this is the trouble with the electrical? I'll try these things this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
The tachometer receives its signal from the ECU. This could indicate problems in that direction, with crank angle sensors being possibly suspect.

You will have quite a weekend. Careful with smoke generation and fuel.

Best of luck, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Careful with smoke generation and fuel.
Yes you said it! I have checked the injectors for leaks. Nothing. I'm just going to keep an eye on it and drop the injector offset to run leaner.

I will next check the angle sensors.

No problems with the battery draining? Intermittent problem?

Anyway fun fun.

Thanks for the help and take care.