How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-29-2006, 05:58 AM

AWD to FWD fuse

I was told this by a certified Subaru tech regarding AWD SVX's:

"There is a fuse spot under the hood in the box that if you put a 20 amp fuse in it it will turn off the rear wheels for summer driving."

Is this right?
If it is, would running the car like that be easier on the transmission (as the FWD SVX's are supposed to be easier on their transmissions than the AWD SVX's)? Or, since we're talking about a car that is designed to be AWD, would this just cause the transmission to deteriorate faster?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
The FWD fuse is only for diagnostic purposes. It does NOT ease up on any of the transmission parts. If anything, because of the way it makes solenoid C work, it's worse for the transmission to be driven in FWD mode than in AWD mode.

On every car we've tested, there has been no positive advantage to putting in the FWD fuse. Gas mileage did not go up and transmissions didn't last any longer.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I was told this by a certified Subaru tech regarding AWD SVX's:

"There is a fuse spot under the hood in the box that if you put a 20 amp fuse in it it will turn off the rear wheels for summer driving."

Is this right?
Well ....... up to a point. It will ensure that the transmission never locks up, and so the rear wheels will never see any positive power being fed through them. But you've still got all the parasitic losses of churning round all the geartrains, so the engine and the auto gearbox are still going to be working just as hard to push the car along against the passive drag of the gearsets.... but you'll just be wearing out the other side of the teeth on the rear wheel drive gears, and wearing out the front drive gears a little bit more.

But if you suddenly need the additional stability that all wheel drive gives you, when you need to swerve suddenly, on a wet bumpy road with adverse camber, you might just regret inserting that fuse.

Quote:
If it is, would running the car like that be easier on the transmission (as the FWD SVX's are supposed to be easier on their transmissions than the AWD SVX's)? Or, since we're talking about a car that is designed to be AWD, would this just cause the transmission to deteriorate faster?
It isn't going to make any significant difference to the wear, performance or fuel consumption.

Put it another way, would you deliberately disconnect the rear brakes?
I guarantee that your rear discs and pads will last forever like that.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM

Great, concise, to-the-point responses guys! Thank you very much. It's something I wouldn't have risked without inquiring about first. Now I know for sure it's not an option.