Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
building more AK47's

Best place to get tires(online or local)

Ive searched around and need some opinions from the people here. I called around locally and the best tire for the price is 70-80 range whereas online I can get them for 45-60 shipped and with a wider selection. What experiences have you had with either. P.S. Wal-Mart is totally out of the question as in the past ruined a wheel and 2 tires Thanks Damian
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

1. Those are some crappy tires for that price and assuming they are for an SVX. Might want to upgrade a bit otherwise I doubt you'll be happy in the long run.
2. If you can mount 'em yourself then go the online route as most shops will charge 1.5-2x the labor to mount outside parts and offer no warranty on their work either.
3. Ever try dealing with an online place when you have one go out of round or the like? Then try dealing with them when they need to replace all 4 as its an awd vehicle.

I've used both online and local shops. Both definately have advantages and disadvantages. Its just which ones you care about. For the budget minded I'd recommend the Mastercraft, one of the midrange falkens or possibly a couple Nittos. Not quite as cheap as $65 but under or around $100 or so. Good luck
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 PM
building more AK47's

These are for my Legacy 205/50/16 and the price was for some Kumho 711's at 45$ each. It sucks that price matching is virtually nonexsistant
Old 09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I got my tires/rims from edgeracing.com. They have good prices and selection. Here you go
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Tirerack.com has fast shipping, Tires.com has free shipping. They both include free mounting/balance/lug nuts with the purchase of rims. I use BJ's shopping club to install the tires, They don’t charge me. (but expect to tip them for that courtesy).
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

I forgot to add. The big down fall to online retailers is no Road Hazard Warrenty. But if you look at Hancook tires they offer one from the factory. Had I known this I would've bought those with my rims over Toyos.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gest24
I forgot to add. The big down fall to online retailers is no Road Hazard Warrenty. But if you look at Hancook tires they offer one from the factory. Had I known this I would've bought those with my rims over Toyos.

Ah but try to get 4 tires out of hancook. My mom had hancooks installed by the subie dealer and had one go out of round. Best they could do was get the axle pair replaced. They had 15k on 'em at the time.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Ah but try to get 4 tires out of hancook. My mom had hancooks installed by the subie dealer and had one go out of round. Best they could do was get the axle pair replaced. They had 15k on 'em at the time.
That does suck. But atleast at 15K the tread wear shouldn't have been that severe to throw off the full set.

But I do know I'm going to give Hancook a chance next AutoX season since their AutoX tire is fairly cheap.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Never heard of Hancook before. Are they similar to Hankook?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Never heard of Hancook before. Are they similar to Hankook?
ooooo Got me... lol

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gest24
That does suck. But atleast at 15K the tread wear shouldn't have been that severe to throw off the full set.

But I do know I'm going to give Hancook a chance next AutoX season since their AutoX tire is fairly cheap.
Cheap? They're more expensive than the proven Victoracers v-700s. Haven't seen any results of comparisons with 'em yet though which would be the only reason I'd suggest 'em if they come out noticably faster. I find it pretty amazing the the V-710 which outweighs the similar Hoosier by 4 lbs or so actually was tested faster by GRM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
discount tire has outlets here. you get the online prices + a great roadhazard plan. win-win.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Win-Win - unless you work for them. They're worse than WallyWorld when it comes to their employees. Sixty hours/week at straight time (or you can go work somewhere else) and still call you part-time so they won't have to provide benefits. At least that's how they were treating their guys in Colorado, when I worked next door to them.

But they do have great prices! Personally, I like Tire Rack. They have never questioned a return and have always treated me aces.

Highest Price? Prolly Big-O (which we figured out years ago to be a reverse acronym for 'Oh God, It's Back!!') So-So tires at high prices with the promise of a great warranty - until you try to get them to stand behind their promise. Yeah, I used to work for them years ago, I know their game.

Last edited by Beav; 09-13-2006 at 07:55 PM.