Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Abuser

Clutch release bearing noise

After installing my new motor and putting the tranny back onto it, the throwout bearing is making an evil noise. It kind of sounds like the TO bearing isn't touching all the PP fingers. It is most pronounced with the clutch all the way in or all the way out. It kind of squeals like a belt with the clutch pedal not depressed and kind of scratchy with the clutch pedal depressed. In between, there is some silence. I took it all apart and replaced the bearing and fork clips. The fork and input shaft appear to be straight. Although the TO bearing that came out of it looked like the input shaft could of been bent as the inner ring was slightly offcenter. But I put it all back together and get the same noise. I know I'll be pulling it all apart again, but I'm just looking for things to look for this time. I did not check the clutch disc or PP other than checking for cracking around the hub of the disc. Car is 90 Legacy as is the cable clutch tranny. At least I can drive it now.......with the stereo up.

Stephen
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Abuser

I thought most SVXs are equipped with TO bearings by now.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
The TO bearing is dry, this is a common occurance. She needs some lube Hate to be teh bearer of annoying news :/
phil
Old 04-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Abuser

I actually think I have a handle on this problem now. I had the clutch way out of adjustment almost to the point of preloading it. I adjusted it back out with some play in it, and I got rid of the grinding noise. But now I got get a little occasional squealing noise now and then. I can adjust it back the other way, but then it starts grinding again. It's one noise or the other because I can't find a spot in the adjustment where there isn't a noise. In any case, noise is all but gone and I can live with what's left. I think the issue here is that I damaged the TO bearing a little bit by overadjusting the clutch. Now that I have it correct, the bearing is squeaking a bit because it is a little loose. The clutch fork is accustomed to having the cable from the hill holder providing tension in the direction opposite its regular travel. I think that by installing the hill holder or a large spring in a similar fashion, I can get rid of this noise altogether.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
<<<Alcyone

hill holder . . . That brings back some good memories of my first Subaru!

1985 GL-10 (not RX), Sunroof, Power Everything, Turbo, 4WD, Dual Range 5-Speed, Pneumatic Suspension (raised up about 1.5" at the touch of a button or when in 4WD, dropped back down automatically at 50 MPH). I put a set of Goodyear Wranglers on it and took it off road where people couldn't/wouldn't take their big trucks. People hated seeing this little 4 door sedan going places where they couldn't!

Those were the days.

I have access to a later model Austrailian Dual Range 5-Speed, I wonder if it would work in my SVX?

Dan