Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
xcntrk75

Future Owner w/Questions

Hello all:

I’m new to this forum and SVX’s in general but have been a long time Subaru enthusiast and fan of the SVX. I’m interested in obtaining an SVX to build as a project car for the occasional autocross, track and strip event, and overall head-turner. I did some searching yet still have the following questions which will help me narrow down a year and trim level that best suites my needs:

1. What engine diagnostics levels were available throughout the years? Better yet, what MY were OBD-II?

2. What conversion options are available? Is it possible to convert a FWD model over to AWD? If it’s anything like the Legacy models it’s a simple part swap from an newer AWD model.

3. What about FI power plant swaps? Anybody ever convert over a FI motor out of one of the other Scooby platforms such as EJ207 or EJ257 with ECU and harness?

My apologies if some of these questions are frequently asked. I’ll keep searching yet in the meantime if anybody has some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Thanks all…

PS: Anybody in the MID-A selling?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I'll give brief answers to your questions (I'm sure others will add alot more):

1) The OBDII SVXs were '96-'97. The OBDI SVXs were '92-'95.

2) You could convert a fwd model to awd, but it would be pricey unless you pick up a parts car. Better off to just wait until the right one comes along. Other than that, you can convert the transmission to a Subaru 5/6 spd manual.

3) The heart and soul of the SVX is the EG33 engine. There is a $6,250.00 s/c kit available for the SVX from www.ecutune.com. There's also another member, Svxfiles, who has installed an axial vane s/c for ~$3,000-$3,500. Several members have delved into turbo charging - TomsSVX and PhastSVX are two memnbers who currently have projects in the works.

I'm not selling mine at this time, but I might have 1.5 months ago when I almost bought a '94 NSX. Either way, wait for the right one to come along and be willing to pay above blue book for a well-maintained, immaculate SVX!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
xcntrk75

Thanks for the info…

I just realized you're local (to me at least), I got my first bite from the SVX bug this summer up at Beaver Springs dragway in PA. There was another local member up there with a white SVX, completely hollowed out interior, with racing seats w/harness bar who was running high 13’s. It was a joy to watch such a sweet car taking some of the local mustangs…

Anyway, I found a local FWD model which looks very clean for a reasonable price. I’ve already done one AT-MT swap in another Subaru of mine, and would dive strait into it with this particular SVX. That said, the Tranny and rear diff would be encompassed in the swap so the remaining FWD->AWD missing parts would be:

Drive axle shafts
2-piece drive shaft (w/custom lengthening)
Outer rear uprights(?) I guess AWD rear knuckles and hub assembly would be required too…

What else am I missing?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk75
Thanks for the info…

I just realized you're local (to me at least), I got my first bite from the SVX bug this summer up at Beaver Springs dragway in PA. There was another local member up there with a white SVX, completely hollowed out interior, with racing seats w/harness bar who was running high 13’s. It was a joy to watch such a sweet car taking some of the local mustangs…

Anyway, I found a local FWD model which looks very clean for a reasonable price. I’ve already done one AT-MT swap in another Subaru of mine, and would dive strait into it with this particular SVX. That said, the Tranny and rear diff would be encompassed in the swap so the remaining FWD->AWD missing parts would be:

Drive axle shafts
Outer rear uprights(?) I guess AWD rear knuckles and hub assembly would be required too…

What else am I missing?
You would also need a TCU from an awd SVX. However, when you add the cost up, trust me, you'd be better off finding a well-maintained awd SVX. I travelled 100+ miles to get my SVX (other members have travelled across the nation).

-Chike

Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Thanks for the info…

Drive axle shafts

What else am I missing?
To convert it you'd need everything you say there plus you'll need the wiring harness from an awd one and the tcu which, in my opinion (as the co-owner of that pearl SVX that was at Beaver Springs you're probably speaking of and no it was running in the low 15s that day as it was shifting from 1st to 3rd) you're better of buying the best that's available. Better yet buy one that needs a tranny but is perfect otherwise as it'll be much cheaper and then you can put a new or rebuilt one in from day one rather than paying a premium only to have the tranny die 5k later.

If you must have a project I think MikeCJ still has his one he's almost completed a 5 speed swap into that he's selling because of other commitments.

As for putting another engine into it, the only other engine that would be worth it would be the current STi engine or the gen 1 legacy turbo engine but the cost/ benefit would be pretty bad.

Last edited by benebob; 10-04-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
xcntrk75

Thanks for the feedback. I swear that beautiful pearl SVX was running in the 13’s. Were you the driver? We spoke briefly, I was the guy running the late 90’s Legacy with a wrx drivetrain swap who was putting a hurtin on the local Mustang drivers

Anyway, thanks all for the wise input regarding the FWD->AWD possibilities (or lack thereof). The search continues…
Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I swear that beautiful pearl SVX was running in the 13’s. Were you the driver? We spoke briefly, I was the guy running the late 90’s Legacy with a wrx drivetrain swap who was putting a hurtin on the local Mustang drivers

Anyway, thanks all for the wise input regarding the FWD->AWD possibilities (or lack thereof). The search continues…
Where in MD do you live? I'm scheduling a drag meet on Friday November 25th (day after Thanksgiving) at Capitol Raceway in Crofton. TomsSVX and SVXRide will be in attendance as well. If you can, let's meet up!

-Chike

Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:

Yep, 15.4 I think was the best by Melis, "Subbyru89" Like Ben mentioned, this was still with the FWD tranny that was bogging down rather than shifting into 2nd. I remember talking to you briefly, but you may have talked to Ben also.

Since that day, we have gotten her back to AWD with a 4.11 4EAT out of an Imp. The only strip it has seen since then had Melis running 14.7, but the time will keep going down.