How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
it hasn't done it in a while ...I'm hoping to get my car on a lift this weekend to try and isolate where the noise is coming from.

Should I expect anything weird driving it while all the wheels are off the ground on the lift?

Also - where the heck did you guys find 5MT from late model subarus?! All I can find are auto models.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
Should I expect anything weird driving it while all the wheels are off the ground on the lift?

Also - where the heck did you guys find 5MT from late model subarus?! All I can find are auto models.
My car wasn't happy spinning with all 4 tires off the ground with the auto. Other's have reported no issues. Mine would constantly engage and disengage the AWD clutch. No problems with the 5 speed though.

I got my 5 speed tranny from the member Strictly Subaru located in B.C.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:36 PM

We'll just have to see on saturday. I wish parts were so much easier to get. I'd just be doing the 5-speed swap and calling it a day (or week or two).

But I mean - I don't know about these gear ratios? I do a lot of highway driving and it seems as though I'd be taching really high with the 5speed, even worse with the 6. Also I was reading that the 1st to 2nd shifting is rough in a WRX and rough with the torque of the engine. Now the SVX has even more torque and seems to be a torque monster with the auto gear box.

Is there any gear set that can be swapped in the 5MT box for a better match for the SVX? I think the JDM/Euro box is a better fit but I can't imagine how hard it would be to get one of those to the states.

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
As a reference 80mph is 3000rpm in 5th gear with the 3.90 WRX tranny. MPG has actually improved overall with this tranny.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:25 PM

So my brother checked out the car today. We didn't see anything weird underneath and everything in the drivetrain seemed to be in order. We checked the front diff fluid and it had a little bit of a kick to it - but diff fluid doesn't smell good to begin with. We changed it anyway.

While it was in the air I drove it and the noise wasn't present. My bro said the drivetrain might have to be on a load for the noise to be there. So it's pretty hard to get a true diagnosis of it.

I think I might just need something in the torque converter area - either the solenoid or the mechanics of it. I noticed that in my shift into overdrive the rpms fluttered like 4 times about +/- 250rpms. Very slight, but noticeable.

This is more becoming a pain in the a$$. I think I've come to the conclusion of just driving the beast until something bad happens. Then bust out the AAA card and just change the trans/diff at one time. I guess it should solve all the noise problems.

However - once we changed the fluid the noise actually got quieter and you had to really listen to it. Also - I don't think the trans was happy about trying to drive all the wheels up in the air. Seemed like the RPMs were completely off when compared to the speed the speedo said. Oh - and there was some erratic shifting, but regardless all the wheels were spinning.

80 @3k ...I can deal with that. I just have to find all the parts. Little bad news - I think I have a one piece axel - I'd have to get a two piece to do the trans swap right?

Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
Little bad news - I think I have a one piece axel - I'd have to get a two piece to do the trans swap right?
If you're referring to the driveshaft you can use either the CV style or the U-joint style. The difference is the U-joint style is easier to lengthen.