Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-26-2004, 03:10 PM

Climate control fuse blows

Hey all, been having a problem with my 92 LS-l lately that the 30amp fuse for the climate control (and whatever else may be on it) keeps blowing.
When I got the car the heat/etc did not work. I replaced the fuse and it worked for several days with no problem, then blew again. After that, I replaced it again and looked around for any bad grounds and couldn't find anything obvious. It worked again for a few days, then I remember hitting a hard bump and the heat went off and the fuse blew again. Since then, it blows as soon as I turn the ignition with a new fuse in..
Anyone have any idea on where to start troubleshooting where the problem may be? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Hi, welcome to the site. It's not going to be a bad ground causing the fuses to blow. (if that helps)

I have a short somewhere in my car that I'm going to try to find this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

However something supplying power grounding is bad. check all the power wires back there and knowing full well I need to do a similar task of finding out why my radio keeps turning off(but only the top half)
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How long does your radio turn off for? That's the short I need to figure out. I also get flickering dash lights but I know it's not the alternator this time.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM

disconnect the radiator fans - probably wrong, but I think that's the only 30amp fuse relating to climate control.

maybe someone better at schematics can help.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:11 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I had a short in my cigarette lighter that caused my climate control to blow it's fuse. Do you frequently use your lighter?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-26-2004, 07:20 PM

The lights on my (factory) cd player occassionally dim out also, yet it still keeps playing, dunno if that's related at all....
As far as my lighter, I don't think I've ever used it.
I took almost the entire dash apart the other day and checked the connections behind everything and all seemed well there also.
I need to get a service manual. Anyone know a good source?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Depending on which fuse keeps blowing, it could be the wiring for the vanity light on one or both of you sun visors. I would take a look at them.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs
Depending on which fuse keeps blowing, it could be the wiring for the vanity light on one or both of you sun visors. I would take a look at them.
the dreaded vanity light short - wierd how many things those lights seem to affect.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs
Well, my drivers side visor doesn't even exist (anyone have one they're selling?) and I have the wires taped off... I'll have to check on the passenger side today if this rain would stop... Damn lack of garage. Thanks for the tip.