How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-14-2003, 01:02 PM
55FordTruck

My Beef with Celebrities

I know I'm gonna get it for saying this because I'm not American. I've noticed a few quotes that are out there (I'm not saying this to start any arguments but I realize it probably will). I'm not disagreeing with the person that posted it but the celebs that said it.

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee." --- Regis Philbin

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!" ---Jay Leno

If we are going to use references from the past it should also be noted that France went to war against the British to help America gain it's independance (I wish Canada would have had the balls to get it's independance). In WW2 France had been occupied by Germany for 3-4 years before the US soldiers decided to help out.

It should also be noted that North Korea has weapons that are hundreds of time more deadly than anything Iraq has but we hear very little of it. I still don't know why.

I don't like how the Fench are handling this stuff. I also don't see why we can't just drop a bomb on Saddam's house and end it quickly. I'm also embarassed about how my country is handling this (by not even picking a side). We should be proving to France to join not preaching.

By the way, Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to anybody, GO CANADA!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
No fights, here. We appreciate your willingness to participate in an intellegent discussion on the matter, rather than merely spouting rhetoric. Kudos.

My favorite quotation on the whole French aspect is attributed to Norman Schwartzkopf: "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordian."

I also like your Ben Franklin quotation in your sig. He also said, "If we do not hang together, we most assuredly will hang separately." I know, that was during the continental congress and in regards to declaring independence, but, it holds true today. If we don't, we will.

As far as Regis and Leno are concerned, they're willing to trade poor taste for a laugh (I know, I'm one to talk -- but, at least I don't use political matters for laughs).

Unfortunately, I'm practically certain we're just going to have to wait 'til the smoke clears to sort things out.

Right, wrong or indifferent, let's hope for a speedy resolution with an absolute minimum of casualties -- on ALL fronts.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

No offense intended.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Soobarooo

Soobarooo

Quote "We should be proving to France to join not preaching. "

Note: Canada is waiting for the UN to finalize its position. There has been and won't be a decision by the Canadian gov't until the final vote is tallied.
If Canada was one of the voting countries (permanent or rotating), that would be another story.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:23 PM
55FordTruck

no offense taken at all. I hope I didn't offend you (or anyone esle) by saying those things.

I guess I just needed to blow off a little steam, now I can go back to being normal again.

What got me going was that we have this comedy show up here that makes fun of how the news does it's thing and they were doing a spoof on Canada's involvement in the Gulf and they dubbed it "Operation Antique Roadshow" because of the age of the age of our military stuff, I laughed at first and then was embarassed.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Hater

my favorite quote: "I'd rather have the German army in front of me than the French army behind me." i think it was Patton?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
My only Question is.....

You're not an American? Which continent do you live on.... In the south we have a bunch of Americans that get mad when we don't include them in the continent (that would be the Mexicans…) ... and you are telling me that you get mad when we do include you in this continent? You’re not a citizen of the United States… but you are an American.. Just by definition… Just as a Frenchman and a Italian are European..
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-14-2003, 06:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
55FordTruck

I read and reread your post. I'm confused. I don't know if you are pro or anti French. I think you are just ticked at the comedians who are taking pot shots at the French because France opposes the US position on the impending war with Iraq.
If that is your position, I agree with you.

I however, don't like the French form France (not the French Candians... I like Canadians... they put up with us, poor people).
My beef with the French is that they try to tell us that they are the greatest chefs and make the best lovers. That's ridiculous.
Everyone knows it's the Italians who have the best cusine and are the best lovers. Plus the Italians have the best music, opera;
the best car stylists; and the most beautiful women.
Of course, I am biased. I am of Italian extraction.

To be humorous, I would not like to have either the French or Italian armed forces defending me. Both will lose but for different reasons. The Italians would lose because they would bicker among themselves (ever been in the Ferrari pits during a race) and the French would surrender.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 03-15-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Soobarooo

Soobarooo

Correction:

That would be "North American", by definition...

I think most would agree, that The United States of America has adopted "America, and Americans" exclusively to reference their population, and geographical location.

Mexicans and Canadians never refer to themselves as Americans, and I doubt Brazilians and Chileans do either...
Old 03-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I am of Italian extraction.

Larry III

What was extracted?

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-15-2003, 05:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Earl.

They took out my 'linguine'
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-15-2003, 07:15 AM

I'll comment on the ' Americans' issue, I got taken to task in Brazil once for not including them as Americans in a talk.

I am less concerned with the comedians comments about the political situation, they are expressing humor...like it or not. It's the other enterainers who like to pass themselves of as serious political commentators that get my goat. Most of them couldn't spell IRAQ or USA.
99 Acura 3.2 TL, 51K
Old 03-15-2003, 10:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by satanta
I'll comment on the ' Americans' issue, I got taken to task in Brazil once for not including them as Americans in a talk.

I am less concerned with the comedians comments about the political situation, they are expressing humor...like it or not. It's the other enterainers who like to pass themselves of as serious political commentators that get my goat. Most of them couldn't spell IRAQ or USA.
I agree with you entirely. I really don't care what comedians make jokes about - it's their job and I can laugh at anything. But Holywood actors getting up on stage to voice their political views drives me nuts.

Still, I know I can always tune them out...

As for the other subject, 'Americans,' I have never heard of people in Canada, Mexico or South American states referring to themselves as 'Americans.' That's interesting, and I wonder what the breakdown is...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-15-2003, 11:08 AM

people talk, that is what people do.

you know that annoying guy at work that tells all those stupid subie jokes???? yeah...those subie jokes crack me up just about as much as they do, but there are people that think that is funny, good for them. i think that it is as funny as the sick, degrading things that howard stern says to women, about women, and the stupid women who keep coming on his shows. i don't see a joke in the war that is no doubt coming our way and the millions of people that are going to die. no part of what is going to happen should be made into a joke, but then again, this is the land of free speech....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i don't see a joke in the war that is no doubt coming our way and the millions of people that are going to die.
Kelli
Kelli, I think you're overestimating by a huge amount. My estimate is thousands, not even hundreds of thousands. Still a lot by most standards, but not millions.

The US has rightly developed an aversion to killing lots of uninvolved citizens, and consequently has acquired weapons that pretty accurately target what they're aimed at. Mistakes happen, and innocent people die, no doubt about it, but at least from the time that Lyndon Johnson was president, US military tactics have even gone so far as to avoid valuable military targets because the collateral damage to nonmilitary persons and facilities would be too great.

As inhumane as war is, we do a better job than almost anyone at minimizing the inhumanity.
2001 Outback Sport