SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Memory dump of ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Hi Trev. I am not sure exactly what you're asking.
Thanks Phil,

You have specifically provided the specific answer I required. i.e. advise which sensors provide the signals which are computed, in order to arrive at the figure covering engine load? ---

M = Mass Airflow is measured in grams of air per second.
R = Engine Speed is measures in Revolutions per minute.

Engine Load is (M * 60) / R = grams of air ingested per revolution of the engine.

The line pressure is not decided by the engine load. But the engine load and the transmission line pressure are both ultimately dictated by the throttle. Correlation, not Causation. But it certainly makes sense that the TCU would be designed to increase line pressure in line with the torque produced by the engine.

I agree, the engine load is in no way dictated, which partly the reason for my enquiry. The actual engine load directly involves the selected gear ratio and the load imposed on the vehicle, regardless of throttle position.

You have confirmed that engine load as a factor in setting line pressure, is confined to measurement derived from mass airflow and engine speed sensors.

Special thanks, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 AM

Okay have cut a deal to borrow the select monitor again on Friday for the weekend. So the plan is to complie more ECU map data. I have ben talking to Phil and I am confused as to how our ECU's figure out the fuel map from O2's. Due to this I want to run a couple of load map examples with the O2's unpluged for comparision purpose.
Maybe we can use the data to figure out how Load is worked out.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Okay have cut a deal to borrow the select monitor again on Friday for the weekend. So the plan is to complie more ECU map data. I have ben talking to Phil and I am confused as to how our ECU's figure out the fuel map from O2's. Due to this I want to run a couple of load map examples with the O2's unpluged for comparision purpose.
Maybe we can use the data to figure out how Load is worked out.
Tony
Tony,

Phil in his latest post post, has advised exactly how the figure for load is worked out. No additional investigation is required in this regard.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Trevor phil suggests that is the way with new cars, we need to confirm its the same with ours.
Please ignore photo 5 in table as I think there is an error.

Last thing I can't run the tests this weekend due to one of my guys being away and I need to work today.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

For anyone interested... I sold my select monitor but still have my USB EvoScab cable and the Jumper SSM harness I built to listen in on the comm between the SSM and the ECU...

I have no use for them, maybe someone else would like to have them, shoot me a PM

Tonm
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
For anyone interested... I sold my select monitor but still have my USB EvoScab cable and the Jumper SSM harness I built to listen in on the comm between the SSM and the ECU...

I have no use for them, maybe someone else would like to have them, shoot me a PM

Tonm
PM sent
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 AM

The following suggestion is one that comes from left field were the tooth fairy lives.

I am of the opinion/understanding that the current ECU in the SVX has no fuel map. What it does is experiment to find the right amount of fuel to inject for a give airflow through the MAF to acheive the disired AirFuel ratio. This then forms the learning refered to all the time. The timing has a map but is effected by the knock sensors in that if the fuel learning causes a problem that shows up in the engine knock sensors it pulls the timing to prevent damage.

If I am correct you should be able to get far more power from the standard ECU. You need to run tests to see what the full load limits are for the injectors (duty cycle) and Airflow(voltage max) and as each of these is reached replace them. It would also be able to cheat the standard ECU to increase the fuel injected by reconfigure the O2 sensor signal.

So there it is, a tooth fairy theory, what do you all think.
Tony
Old 06-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Phil & Belha

The fuel and timing tables are straightforward and well understood.

Fuel

There is a target AFR map. The ECU measures how many grams of air are flowing into the engine using the MAF sensor. Then it calculates exactly how many grams of fuel it must mix with that air to achieve the target AFR.

When driving at constant speed, the O2 sensors provide feedback that allows the ECU to tweak the amount of fuel to compensate for the quality of the fuel and the density of the air. When these feedback adjustments have been calculated, they get remembered. (learning).

Timing
There is a "base timing" map and an "permitted advance" map. There is an "advance multiplier" value that determines what percentage of the permitted advance gets added to the base timing. The ECU adjusts the advance multiplier based on the amount of knock detected. If no knock is detected it will slowly increase the advance multiplier towards 100%. When knock is detected, it will backs off a little.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Hi Phil,
Does the ECU have a preloaded starting point for grams of fuel based on something like revs or what ever or does it just work it out. In other words if I put injectors that were 20% larger would the ECU function correctly and correct for them.
Tony
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Hi Phil,
Does the ECU have a preloaded starting point for grams of fuel based on something like revs or what ever or does it just work it out. In other words if I put injectors that were 20% larger would the ECU function correctly and correct for them.
Tony
There is a parameter in the ECU that specifies the size of the injectors. It calculates that to inject x grams of fuel then it must open the injector for y milliseconds.

If you put bigger injectors, you just change the parameter and the ECU will adjust the injector open time accordingly. ie. You tell the ECU that the injectors are 20% bigger and it will open them for 20% less time to deliver the same amount of fuel.

There is also a lag time map based on battery voltage. ie. At low voltage, the injectors take longer to fully open and therefore less fuel is delivered. So you increase the pulse width slightly at low voltages to get the right amount of fuel.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM

So Phil I assume we haave to put in the extra board to change the injector size parameter, is that correct?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
So Phil I assume we haave to put in the extra board to change the injector size parameter, is that correct?
Yes. You can't change anything without fitting an eeprom board.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Phil a question.
What is the speedo output based on in terms of pulses. In other words is it 1 pulse per rev of the wheel.
Tony
Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Phil a question.
What is the speedo output based on in terms of pulses. In other words is it 1 pulse per rev of the wheel.
Tony
AFAIK it's 4 pulses per revolution.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 AM

Thanks Phil.
Tony