SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Re: Gecko coilovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Oh, ouch, OMG you flamed me good there, troll.

The Subaru community in general is a pretty frugal group and why wouldn't they be? The cars are cheap to buy and maintain, like your girl*, and they tend to fall into the hands of folks without the means to properly take care of them after the original owner moves on.

I understand this. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or that I have to be cheap when modifying my car. This is an expensive hobby, young fella, and while I do try to maximize my tuning dollar, I've been in this game too long to make the mistake of buying off-brand parts.

What happens in 5 years when those struts are worn out and GECKO has disappeared? Unless they used universal parts on those coilovers, they won't be rebuild-able. But hey, they were only $1,000, right? You'll be able to afford another set in 5 years anyway!

*(Now that is how you do it, kid...)
It's hard to take you seriously, dude. I mean, you are all over the place. Let me get this straight....

You understand this community and the overwhelming majority of people will not put a lot into their SVX (of course you have to take childish projections too)....yet you chastise people for using coilovers that are direct fit that are inexpensive. So you understand it or you don't understand it?

What you agree with is not relevant. What is reality is. These cars are often now gutted for their EG and thrown away. Who the **** is going to do the R&D to even design high-end coilovers for the SVX? Who are they going to sell them to? You? Do you know how marketing works? Do you understand demographics? You are *****ing about a product nobody is going to make for this car because there is no market for them. If it did exist then it would have been done if there was money to be made. That is how business works. I mean it took 16 months to even get a ****ing radiator for us and that is a product under $500. If you don't like Geckos, fine, but your reasoning about high end **** is absurd because it doesn't exist. If you were "in the game" so long and understood this community as well as you arrogantly seem to project you would know this. *****ing about expensive parts on cars a lot people pay for under a grand is not rational.

I can deal with arrogant people if they know what they are talking about. You literally have no idea what you are talking about when you complain about a product like this in lieu of something that doesn't exist on cars that are practically given away.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:36 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
How many top shelf companies have made anything for the SVX?

And more importantly how many SVX's are dedicated Race Cars?

I bought Cekia (however it is spelled) when they first were introduced in 2012, I chose my spring rates and other choices I paid $1200ish I drive hard I corner harder and they still work great. Could they be better of course but I have what is available and it makes me happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
It's hard to take you seriously, dude. I mean, you are all over the place. Let me get this straight....

You understand this community and the overwhelming majority of people will not put a lot into their SVX (of course you have to take childish projections too)....yet you chastise people for using coilovers that are direct fit that are inexpensive. So you understand it or you don't understand it?

What you agree with is not relevant. What is reality is. These cars are often now gutted for their EG and thrown away. Who the **** is going to do the R&D to even design high-end coilovers for the SVX? Who are they going to sell them to? You? Do you know how marketing works? Do you understand demographics? You are *****ing about a product nobody is going to make for this car because there is no market for them. If it did exist then it would have been done if there was money to be made. That is how business works. I mean it took 16 months to even get a ****ing radiator for us and that is a product under $500. If you don't like Geckos, fine, but your reasoning about high end **** is absurd because it doesn't exist. If you were "in the game" so long and understood this community as well as you arrogantly seem to project you would know this. *****ing about expensive parts on cars a lot people pay for under a grand is not rational.

I can deal with arrogant people if they know what they are talking about. You literally have no idea what you are talking about when you complain about a product like this in lieu of something that doesn't exist on cars that are practically given away.
Yeah exactly I don't know of any company, top shelf or not, that will take an order for one set of coil overs, You have to get them some volume buying or your not getting anything
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Ive heard great reviews of Andy's amr coilovers. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Ive heard great reviews of Andy's amr coilovers. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
A member had a long standing FB that must have been recently taken down called "AMR Engineering Ripped Me Off" that stated he sent ones that damaged an SVX and would not pay for repairs. I found this, but the original posting has it documented a lot better. This was up 6 months ago and was up since 2014 so either the guy took it down or FB took it down.

http://subaru.carstalks.com/chris-de...-forums-248037

What it speaks to is more how difficult Andy is to work with and how he has a terrible attitude. Typically you will not have issues with his products, but if you do you have to kiss his ass for him to to make good on what he messed up. He has no respect for this community at all, which is why he took 16 months to get us a radiator.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

This andy guy sounds a lot like dan from stebro. I'm still bitter about that whole ordeal. I'll never understand how a business owner can treat people horribly and think they'll continue to stay in business.

I should probably clarify...I've heard good things about the product. The horrible customer service is well known.

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 10-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
A member had a long standing FB that must have been recently taken down called "AMR Engineering Ripped Me Off" that stated he sent ones that damaged an SVX and would not pay for repairs. I found this, but the original posting has it documented a lot better. This was up 6 months ago and was up since 2014 so either the guy took it down or FB took it down.

http://subaru.carstalks.com/chris-de...-forums-248037

What it speaks to is more how difficult Andy is to work with and how he has a terrible attitude. Typically you will not have issues with his products, but if you do you have to kiss his ass for him to to make good on what he messed up. He has no respect for this community at all, which is why he took 16 months to get us a radiator.
I have heard 2 sides to that incident, and to be honest I don't know what to make of it. I would think the knob adjusters that sit on top of the coil over would typically stay if you decided to buy it with the coilovers, however having something sticking up past the top of the strut tower it should have some care taken when closing the very narrow margins of hood space.
And as to the radiator I understand 16 months is a long wait for a product, but then R&D plus prototype(s) plus all current business it all adds up. I know I am a lucky one as I had a radiator within months (though it was a prototype and as such needed slight mods) but I remember waiting for what seemed a long time for the Cekia coilovers back in 2012 too
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
This andy guy sounds a lot like dan from stebro. I'm still bitter about that whole ordeal. I'll never understand how a business owner can treat people horribly and think they'll continue to stay in business.

I should probably clarify...I've heard good things about the product. The horrible customer service is well known.
Ya, I do agree sometimes the customer service can be slow/bad yet the products end up great and worthwhile do you overlook the bad because of the good or do you spite the good product because of the bad service?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:20 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Product and service go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other. Stebro is a prime example. They had a great product for many decades and good service. When the older generation of owners passed away customer service spiraled down quickly. The product was still there but the company went out of business.
A machinist from Stebro bought all the jigs etc. and has his own shop but I've lost his contact info.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 AM

I can't comment on Gecko coilovers but I will standup for Andy. I have his coilovers and the radiator and am pleased w/both. He did have some problem keeping up with customer service due to a lack of employees but I have not had any real problem communicating with him. As far as Stebro, I have a contact number for Serg, the employee who has the specs for the SVX. He is willing and able to reproduce the exhaust items but wants a sample to check measurements. Gloomy, had volunteered to bring in his SVX for measurements but hasn't been able to do it. If anyone else in Canada is willing and able to take his SVX to Serg, we can get exhaust parts again.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Shoot me his contact info. I live about 50 miles from his shop.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

This thread is getting derailed, but man, the chance of getting a new Stebro exhaust sounds amazing (pun intended)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I found the ad for Serge's garage, the Stebro Guy.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-repair-...ationFlag=true

I'll call him on Tuesday. Monday is Thanksgiving here.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM

I was hesitant to do business with AMR from all the review but like most general product feedback, the upset customers seem to voice the loudest while the happy customers simply make a brief statement. With that said, I took a chance as I wanted a quality product for my car and since I wasn't in a hurry this was a reasonable option. To my surprise, Andy responded very quickly to all my emails and concerns. Maybe this business is getting more structured but his communication leading up to payment was excellent. After payment he there was no communication but he set that expectation upfront so I was ok with it. Plus if he didn't deliver I would have protected myself with a credit card dispute.

Long story short, I got the products and the packaging, shipping, and quality is excellent. One minor criticism, the bracket for the oem brake line is not position properly so instead of clipping the brake line into its holder, I have to zip tie it to the holder.

I actually bought 2 sets with the thought that I was going to pick up a second SVX but that didn't happen so I'm selling my brand new set.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64424

Tags
coilovers, gecko