Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Phil, Thank you Phil. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi Phil, Thank you Phil. Take care, BOBB
Hi Bobb... I was jumping between threads, and just threw the link in real quick.
Have great night!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Formerly known as broyles

Picts

attached are some picts showing the seal closing the gap between the radiator and transmision cooler. Actual uncompressed height of the D-Seal is 3/4 inch. The smooth rubber surface is easy to clean, and has similar appearance to the overflow hose.
Note the use of OEM cap. I removed the warning sticker from the center of the cap; Not an exact match to the radiator but will suffice till the pwr cap arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx 004.jpg (211.6 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg svx 008.jpg (92.2 KB, 563 views)
Old 04-16-2005, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broyles
attached are some picts showing the seal closing the gap between the radiator and transmision cooler. Actual uncompressed height of the D-Seal is 3/4 inch. The smooth rubber surface is easy to clean, and has similar appearance to the overflow hose.
Note the use of OEM cap. I removed the warning sticker from the center of the cap; Not an exact match to the radiator but will suffice till the pwr cap arrives.
It looks great! Outstanding idea. I think a bunch of us will be using that one.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Any news?

Any news from PWR on status of caps, such as date of delivery?

Anyone been keeping tabs on tranny temps with oem and pwr rad?

Any problems with torque converter not locking up? Possible loss of MPG...

Anyone know if someone at PWR is going to post answers directly someday?

Any technical information every going to made available covering PWR's claims about performance?

This thread started on November 15th of 2004, Chris sent the oem rad to pwr three days later on the 18th. 20 signed up on the 29th of November (I was number 20) Its now been 5 months, if anyone is counting. PWR's website claims design phase to production takes only days.

Summer temps are just around the corner, I would like to have this item installed but still do not feel comfortable with the performance aspects. While observations of the stock temp gage in our cars is an indication of engine cooling it is not real data, nor does it indicate tranny temps.

I had thought winter observations (of the PWR rad's performance) might be made by those who needed a new rad in a hurry and prior to my installation this summer. I suspect its too late now for that info...

John
1993 Subaru SVX (#006 01/93) 104k - To travel in style and grace.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxman
Any news from PWR

John
Outstanding questions all! But no real answers as of yet.

I think the only two I saw that had temp guages were immortal_suby and AFBeefcake. Immortal_suby is using 2 aftermarket ATF coolers though (1 with fan! ), so he wasn't looking at the Rad for ATF cooling. With 2 inline ATF coolers, you could probably use his ATF to cool your Ice Tea in 120* weather.

AFBeefcake said a while back that he drove his car around for about 20 minutes with the new rad, and the ATF temp maintained at apprx. 150*F. He mentioned that it maintained the same 150*F with an inline 16,000GVM cooler.

WGJ was talking about tranny temp strips, but he hasn't responded with an update on that. I'm not sure if he's installed the radiator as of yet. He may be waiting on the fix. I'm not sure.

Other than that, no one has posted data on tranny temps.

I personally haven't had any problems with converter lockup, but I'm in a desert climate, so I wouldn't. Once again, no one has mentioned a problem with this from colder climates.. or anywhere. And no idea yet on gas mileage. With our 2 seasons, (Fall and Summer), my data would be unreliable on both fronts.

There has been a few of us that have blown the stock hoses due to the cap being forced sideways, and not venting at 15lbs. The jury rig of course is to dremel off the cap tab on that side. The pressure build up is strong enough to force a silicone hose off, so it must be done regardless. (Better to force the hose off than find a "new road" on the water sleeves somewhere. Very improbable, but a scary thought. )

Don't quote me, but I think it was Tomssvx that posted they have approved the quote for the new billet caps. No word on when we will get them.

Comedy head shaker of the day: I thought about this when billet caps were first mentioned.
When we get them, and assuming there is a PWR emblem on the top. Will the cap's emblem be 45* off from parallel in the cap's fully closed position? It of course won't make any real difference except for looks. I could really care less about that. I just want to see if they are truly thinking, since these caps are also "custom designed" just for this "custom designed" radiator. It will show if they truly listened and good at what they do.

I'm assuming PWR was approved for posting along with the onslaught of new members last week.

The question is, will they post to clear everything up and answer questions?

Other than that drxman... No news is..........more of the same.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I will call Josh tomorrow and tell Josh he should have the ability to post. i will also ask him on an update about the caps.

Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
I will call Josh tomorrow and tell Josh he should have the ability to post. i will also ask him on an update about the caps.

Tom
Tom, you are the only one doing anything right now. Thank you!!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Maniac modifier

thats what i do

Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Well I still have not driven my car for more then about a 1/2 hour at a time.
My trany temp when up to 160 once for about 2 minutes and then it was back under 150.

Before installing the PWR when I was running the stock cooler and the 16,000 my temps would be 150 on the highway. When I would drive around town it was easy to get the temp over 160.

The PWR cooler is coolling beter then the stock one.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Cool Install

For those of you waiting to install when the radiators are, "PERFECT"

There is enough info in this thread so far to install your radiators with no problems. Lowering the mounting brackets will give more than enough clearance to avoid the radiator cap problem. I know, because I've got mine installed with the cap it came with. Likewise the overflow spigot. Use a smaller diameter hose off the spigot, and put an adapter in to upsize it into the overflow tank. I explained all the issues to my mechanic before he installed it, and he said it went in with no problems.

As for heat problems, I don't run any temp gauge on my tranny, but I've run my car every day since the install, and 3 hour trips at highway speeds, with no loss of fluid.

Could these have been better? Of course. By the same token the SVX could have come from the factory with a better cooled tranny, and we all know how that goes, don't we?

Anyway, my thanks to Chris for the effort he put forward even getting this started, as well as to Tom for keeping up on this after delivery. Just my two cents. I'm going out now to run up a few more high speed highway miles with the radio cranked. It's a gorgeous day here.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks Jonathan...

your input is appreciated and you're quite right. I concur.
Enjoy the drive.
WGJ
Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
your input is appreciated and you're quite right. I concur.
Enjoy the drive.
WGJ
So you have installed yours? How did the tranny temp strips go?

Last edited by Electrophil; 04-18-2005 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Maniac modifier

called Josh at PWR today to ask for an update and to tell him he can post now. He has been on a little vacation for the past week or so and has not been around. He told me this much though, the caps are done and are awaiting shipment to them. He said they will hopefully arrive today or tomorrow(tuesday). All going well we should have them shortly.

Tom (excited for more billet stuff)
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Who gets caps?

Havn't had time to follow this thread lately so sorry if this is a dumb question..
Is anyone that bought a radiator getting a cap? Mine is (was-see below) leaking but I havn't requested a cap.
I may not need one because unfortunately, on Friday my baby was rear-ended by some jack a$$ in a pickup and I think the insurance co might total her and take the PWR rad. along with it (as well as my brand new tires, new crank pulley, new brakes, etc.. all installed in the last couple months... all items that all don't add any value to the car as far as they're concerned... grrrr)
On a side note, any insurance experts around? I'd like to possibly buy it as salvage if they do total it.. what should I expect to pay?