Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2002, 04:50 PM

Unhappy leaking cam seals

OK, they weep (leak?)... A little oil... So, enough that when I wash the car I open the hood and spray off the plastic pan with a little Castrol SuperClean and the hose. Then, a couple of days later there is some more visable oil residue. Not much. Not dripping. Not a pool. Never been enough (now at 96K miles) that there has ever been the need for any oil to be added between changes (every 3K miles). Dipstick level never moves.

So, how concerned should I really be? I recognize that many would consider me to be super-anal about all my vehicles from a maintenance standpoint. Is this a common problem with the SVX? Should I just continue to monitor it and get it all taken care of at the scheduled timing belt / water pump change @ 120K miles? Or should I get it done now? Seems to be primarily on the driver's side. Engine has never been opened up. The timing belt cover was off for an inspection @ 30K and a replacement @ 60K. Runs fantastic! This car oughta be good for another 10 or 20 years. We don't put 6K a year on it now unless we go on one hell of a road trip.

Why anyone would lay out 30+ large (or a lot more $!) for an all-wheel drive BMW, Audi or Volvo is beyond me. We think the Subaru dealer shops only look at us as a continuing source of income... Do you know what a "Genuine BMW" oil change costs? THANKS IN ADVANCE!