Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

My understanding of those home units is that they'll copy the original of a copy-protected CD, but won't copy the copy.

If it wouldn't copy an original, it'd be of pretty limited use.

Dick, you're right about no burn allowed from copies. It seems there IS a way to control recording speed, but I'm too tired to fiddle with it now. Maybe this weekend.

Why do I feel like singing "KodaChro-o-ome"?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/fdc4dc1e.jpg

HA. I know what vinyl is. :P'`'`'`' I have a ton of it! I still actually buy it!

- Ca$h

Good for you, Rob. (really)!
I have the perfect vinyl era song for you.
Elton John's "In Neon". Very subtle haunting minor key recording. One of my all time favorites.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Good for you, Rob. (really)!
I have the perfect vinyl era song for you.
Elton John's "In Neon". Very subtle haunting minor key recording. One of my all time favorites.

Ron.
good one Ron...
Old 01-02-2003, 08:54 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Hold on...

So a stock unit on a 92' can play CD-R's?! I've tried almost everything but I can't get them to play. I was gonna buy a CD changer to play them cause half my cd's are burned. What type of CD-R, at what speed, with what burning program, have people been able to play on stock units? I want my own mixes

P.S. A home recorder with copywrite protection could not copy the original, however it should be able to copy a copy because the copy protection of the original would not be transferred (to my knowledge, but I might be wrong). Anyway, if you don't wanna crack open the computer you could get an external one, will run you about $90 and are much slower than internal.
P.P.S. I know what vinyl is, even though it is "before my day"

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Cool Re: Hold on...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
[B]So a stock unit on a 92' can play CD-R's?! I've tried almost everything but I can't get them to play.

By now, if you haven't guessed, I'm a total klutz when it comes to everything digital. However, to restate the point, my '92 SVX original CD player will play COMPUTER burned CDs.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-02-2003, 09:07 PM

Re: Hold on...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
[B]So a stock unit on a 92' can play CD-R's?! I've tried almost everything but I can't get them to play. I was gonna buy a CD changer to play them cause half my cd's are burned. What type of CD-R, at what speed, with what burning program, have people been able to play on stock units? I want my own mixes

i have played my own mixes in my stock player since i got it...they are 80 minute 700MB CDs durabrand. i got them cheap from Walmart...they play in my b/f's aftermarket headunit too. sometimes, though, she gets tempramental with me...then i take the CD out...rub it with my sleeve and stick it back in and it works fine. i never cleaned the player..and sometimes it won't play bought CDs from the store, and i do the same thing and they work. my CD burning system is Easy Creator 4 (Adaptec). i don't know why yours don't work... if you want me to burn some CD's for you...you know i am like 15 minutes away...pm me

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Ron,

If you like vinyl I have a set of The Moonglows on Chess.
They are 78's.

They may actually be worth some $.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh

The whole concept of the Serial Copy Management System (SCMS) is precisely to allow copies of the master, but prevent copies of the copy. Each copy is embedded with an SCMS code indicating whether it is copyrighted and how many copies of itself, if any, are allowed.

As for external CD writers, most of the new ones use USB 2.0, which makes them as fast as their internal counterparts. I have a 40x12x48 USB 2.0 external and can vouch for the fact that it is almost as fast as my 48x24x48 internal and I have seen both versions in 52x speeds.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
P.S. A home recorder with copywrite protection could not copy the original, however it should be able to copy a copy because the copy protection of the original would not be transferred (to my knowledge, but I might be wrong). Anyway, if you don't wanna crack open the computer you could get an external one, will run you about $90 and are much slower than internal.
P.P.S. I know what vinyl is, even though it is "before my day"
Old 01-03-2003, 11:56 AM
$VX

My 92 plays burned CDs just fine. Media: Sony, Maxell, and some cheaper kinds. Program? Toast or iTunes. Operating system? Macintosh 9.2 and X. Burner? A que USB burner (2x) or a Superdrive.

- Ca$h
Old 01-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
So a stock unit on a 92' can play CD-R's?!
Mine does, every day. I usually use Memorex 700MB CD-Rs, either a Kanguru 40x12x48 or Que!Fire 12x4x32 burner (both FireWire), hooked to either an iMac or a Mac G4, and Toast because it has a few more options than iTunes.

Quote:
P.S. A home recorder with copywrite protection could not copy the original, however it should be able to copy a copy because the copy protection of the original would not be transferred (to my knowledge, but I might be wrong).
You are. Wrong, that is. SCMS was designed to reduce mass pirating of disks while allowing owners to make backup copies of their originals. Burners with this technology actually do put information on the copy that prevents it from being used as a master.

As with every other designed to deter theft, there are ways to get around it. Or so I've heard.

Lots of info on this and other subjects at www.cdrfaq.org
2001 Outback Sport
Old 01-03-2003, 01:11 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
The original issue is to get your vinyl onto CD:
Unfortunately the best way to do this is to use a computer. Here's how:

Some turntables(record players) have whats called an SPDIF out(Analog to digital converter), usually the ones sold to DJs who mix there own stuff, like all that terrible Techno, trance and Euro Dance stuff, which I really like, anyways, these turntables should be relatively cheap. But it would be better to borrow one.
Vinyl to CD
If you have a regular turntable with only analog out, like most people then this is the best way to get your vinyl to CD:
1) Buy/borrow a Soundblaster Live(value, or whatever) $30
2) Buy/borrow a CD Burner at least 16 x, you should be able to ask a computer geek friend to give you one, or spend the $30.
3) Use a piece of software like Musicmatch, or Winamp. Both have freeware versions that burn, I use Musicmatch 7.2, if you want it, PM me.
4) Install all this crap on a Pentuim II-400 or better
5)Connect your Turntable to the SB Live Line-in connector using an RCA to 1/8 mini adapter
6)Open Musicmatch and select options/ recording/set the bitrate to 160 or VBR or just leave it and play around later. Select the Recording source as Line-in from your SB Live card.
7) Play your record, and record the sound to an MP3 file on your hardrive.
8) repeat for each song, or just record the whole album, try to flip the record quickly so you don't have a large pause.
9) when done, hit stop, the recorded music will then be saved as an MP3 file.
10) open the MP3 file with Musicmatch.
11) insert ANY CD-R into your Burner, no CD-RW's, close drawer.
12) Select Burner on Musicmatch, your options will be either an Audio CD, or an MP3 CD, select Audio CD so it can be played in your SVX and other CD players.
13) you will see the progress, and the CD drawer should open up when its done.

CD to CD
1) put new CD with music on it in CD rom/RW drive, does really matter.
2) open musicmatch, and hit record, it will load all the songs from that CD in its que.
3) it will record all the music on your harddriver in a default directory under the Artist and album.
4) When its done, takes a while, depending on how fast your computer is. i.e 60minute CD take about 20 minutes to compress to MP3 on my pentium-III-733 PC. The recorded songs should be placed in the music library, just select them and hit the burn button.

Notes:
1. burning slower is better, less error, lowers the chance of making a coaster.
2. Music CD-R's last longer and work better in more CD players, but cost a little more. they are different.
3. If the music you play back has chirps or skipping or something other than what the original music sounded like, burn the CD at a slower speed. i.e if it sounded crappy when you burned it at 16x, change to 8x's.
4. Tapes can be done the same way.

I have done this before and my Father is still doing this today, because he has not been able to down load the songs he like from Kazaa or bearshare or ??? like James Last, yikes.

I know the technology you purchased was intended to perform all this, but with the legislation and security, etc. it just doesn't work as easy as it should.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
The original issue is to get your vinyl onto CD:
Unfortunately the best way to do this is to use a computer. Here's how:

Some turntables(record players) have whats called an SPDIF out(Analog to digital converter), usually the ones sold to DJs who mix there own stuff, like all that terrible Techno, trance and Euro Dance stuff, which I really like, anyways, these turntables should be relatively cheap. But it would be better to borrow one.
Vinyl to CD
If you have a regular turntable with only analog out, like most people then this is the best way to get your vinyl to CD:
1) Buy/borrow a Soundblaster Live(value, or whatever) $30
2) Buy/borrow a CD Burner at least 16 x, you should be able to ask a computer geek friend to give you one, or spend the $30.
3) Use a piece of software like Musicmatch, or Winamp. Both have freeware versions that burn, I use Musicmatch 7.2, if you want it, PM me.
4) Install all this crap on a Pentuim II-400 or better
5)Connect your Turntable to the SB Live Line-in connector using an RCA to 1/8 mini adapter
6)Open Musicmatch and select options/ recording/set the bitrate to 160 or VBR or just leave it and play around later. Select the Recording source as Line-in from your SB Live card.
7) Play your record, and record the sound to an MP3 file on your hardrive.
8) repeat for each song, or just record the whole album, try to flip the record quickly so you don't have a large pause.
9) when done, hit stop, the recorded music will then be saved as an MP3 file.
10) open the MP3 file with Musicmatch.
11) insert ANY CD-R into your Burner, no CD-RW's, close drawer.
12) Select Burner on Musicmatch, your options will be either an Audio CD, or an MP3 CD, select Audio CD so it can be played in your SVX and other CD players.
13) you will see the progress, and the CD drawer should open up when its done.

CD to CD
1) put new CD with music on it in CD rom/RW drive, does really matter.
2) open musicmatch, and hit record, it will load all the songs from that CD in its que.
3) it will record all the music on your harddriver in a default directory under the Artist and album.
4) When its done, takes a while, depending on how fast your computer is. i.e 60minute CD take about 20 minutes to compress to MP3 on my pentium-III-733 PC. The recorded songs should be placed in the music library, just select them and hit the burn button.

Notes:
1. burning slower is better, less error, lowers the chance of making a coaster.
2. Music CD-R's last longer and work better in more CD players, but cost a little more. they are different.
3. If the music you play back has chirps or skipping or something other than what the original music sounded like, burn the CD at a slower speed. i.e if it sounded crappy when you burned it at 16x, change to 8x's.
4. Tapes can be done the same way.

I have done this before and my Father is still doing this today, because he has not been able to down load the songs he like from Kazaa or bearshare or ??? like James Last, yikes.

I know the technology you purchased was intended to perform all this, but with the legislation and security, etc. it just doesn't work as easy as it should.

Holy crap! Looks like my Pentium I is doomed. Well, Chris, when you're down here to swap money for John's Pearlie, you're welcome to drop by & fiddle with my monuments to antiquity.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Well if you don't need to use MP3's you can keep everything in WAV format and keep the quality as high as possible at the expense of a little hard drive space (10x).

Then you can still use your antique Pentium 1 to do the job
Old 01-04-2003, 12:35 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Sure, you can copy the CD in raw format. It shows up as a .CDA file which is like .wav.

I think I was able to read CD's and compress them using a Celeron 300 mhz pc, the best you could do when burning from an MP3 was about 4x.

If you are a purist, and feel that WAV is better then MP3, you can actually "RIP" the CDA file from a music CD at 320kps(sample rate of the analog signal), which uses about a third of the space of a wav file.

standard good quality id 128kbs, CD quality is close to 160kps, the human ear can't hear the difference above 192kps. But if you play with the music electronically, then you may have a use for 320kps tracks.

you can use Musicmatch to copy a Music CD in .wav format. A normal Music CD can hold up to 80 minutes of music, which is equivalent to 700m of harddrive disk space, then copy the .wav files to a new CDr, at 1x...using a Pentium 100, lets say.
it will take 160 minutes to reproduce a single copy.

Hmm, maybe just tell me what songs you want, and I'll burn them on a CD for you and mail it.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-04-2003, 05:04 AM
alacrity024

Like Rob, I own record players and still shell out good money for slabs of analog plastic. "CD-izing" records is a royal PITA in that unless you're going into a computer and have a decent wave editor, you need to hover over your turntable and cd recorded getting ready to press the "Track Increment" button so you can actually skip tracks on the cd. My girlfriend's mother gave me a couple records (James Gang and Derek & The Dominos) awhile back and I put them on cd for her for Christmas. Great Gift.

Anyhow, if you're gonna run a record player straight into a standalone cd buner, you're gonna need a preamp, which can be had for anywhere between $25 and $150. Here's one for about $40 Both Rob and I have them built into our mixers, and if you're running the turntable into a stereo reciever's "Phono" input, there's an amp behind the plugs in the big black box, so hooking the cd burner's "line in" up to the reciever's "aux. out" or "tape out" should be just fine. But like I said, if you're going straight from the record player to the burner, you'll likely need a preamp.

-adam