Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Re: Would you buy/use recap snow tires?

I have no experience with recaps (surely recaps would have been superior to some of the cheap Maypop Deluxe tires I've purchased in years past), but if I lived in a region where there was snow on the roads for much of the season, I don't think it would worry me to run re-tredded snow tires. The heat, high speed, and traction-load stress would be greatly reduced, relative to driving on pavement in warm weather.

dcb
Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
But, in the future, I might give recap tires a try on my old car. After doing some readings and research, I think recap tires are getting better and better than before, long time ago. With the newer technology, they're really better and more reliable. Check out the video, if the recap can pass and withstand that kinda test, I think they should be decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdO1suXxfJk

that video has nothing to do with the recap tires you are talking about
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My 2c........

Rubber degrades and dries over time, the sidewall and bead sealing surface are original in a recap tire.....therefore the most safety-vital parts of the tire can be MUCH older than the tread area.

I have personally seen tires (purchased from the local used tire dealer) blow completely out on the sidewall or bead area due to damage during mounting (dry rubber doesnt stretch, it rips) and if the person is cornering or traveling at freeway speeds, it can be fatal.

Tires and brakes are the two components on my car that I never skimp on.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post

Very good advice. *thumbs up* Same for me.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:44 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Good stuff. Just remember that with two snows on the front only your grip is very front biased. Especially when you've got a near empty gas tank, the back end of the car will be very light and have poor traction, which will make it want to swing out in corners all the time. Take the car to an empty snow covered parking lot and drive in large circles, gradually accelerating. You'll see what I mean.
Thanks and I'm aware of this problem. My SVX would do that sometimes.

If the road has lot of snow or is slippery, I'd usually slow down first before I get into the turns.

I didn't plan on getting snow tires. I just need traction to go up/down hills and stop the car better. Two is good enough. If I sell the car, I will give them to the new owner. Plus, my apartment doesn't have the storage and I keep my all season tires in the kitchen.

So far again I AM very impressed and happy enough with the snow tires. This is for my daily-drive, 2006, lightweight(2500lbs), 5 spd manual car. I have put about 150miles on this tires now. I get traction to go up snowy steep hills with ease. Going down the same hills easily with proper brake control. I try to go fast on some curvy snowy roads. It greatly reduces a lot of understeer. I can't wait for the next big snow storm.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
that video has nothing to do with the recap tires you are talking about
read the title they're using the recap tires to do the race. they tried to keep racing and use as much as tires as possible and drift as well.

i was worried about if you don't have times to watch and read. U want more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ05tDNWACw

another two long videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by7oL...om=PL&index=60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1HX...eature=related

I have watched a lot of more videos about it and read a lot more if you want to know.

Here's a letter for you to read:

AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA AND ALL MEMBERS OF CONGRESS

For Immediate Release
PACIFIC GROVE, CA, July 2009

July 8, 2009

Dear President Obama and all Members of Congress,

The Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau is a non-profit, member owned industry association. I am writing today on behalf of our members in the tire retread and tire repair industries to bring to your attention the tremendous contribution our members make to both the environment and the economy.

Thanks to retreading and properly made tire repairs hundreds of millions of gallons of oil are saved every year while greatly reducing the scrap tire problem by enabling tires to have safe additional lives.

The safety of retreaded tires has been proven and continues to be proven daily beyond a shadow of a doubt by millions of vehicles worldwide, including school and municipal buses, fire engines and other emergency vehicles, commercial and military airlines, taxis, small package delivery services such as FED EX, UPS and even the U.S. Postal Service, as well as by countless commercial vehicles in both the private and public sectors.

There is even a U.S. Federal Executive Order (13149) MANDATING the use of retreaded tires on certain government vehicles.

You might also be interested to know that I drive on retreads on my personal vehicle, as does my wife and son on their vehicles.

The purpose of this letter is to both bring the above to your attention and to offer to send you our Retread Tire Information Packet, including a CD and two DVDs that explain and illustrate in great detail the environmental and economic benefits of retreaded tires.

We hope you will take us up on our offer since the more you know about retreading the better informed you and your staff will be regarding the huge amount of money that can be saved by our government – on the federal, state and local levels – without sacrificing safety, performance or handling.

The retread industry was green long before the word became fashionable. In fact, our industry can boast that a retread tire has one of the highest post-consumer contents of any recycled product, and, refreshingly, the user of retreaded tires will always spend a little LESS than for a comparable new tire.

In these days when every penny of savings counts in government spending, we hope you will allow us to send our materials and that you will speak up for retreading as a viable alternative to higher priced new tires. It’s the right thing to do.

We will also be happy to arrange a tour of a retread plant for you and any of your staff members who wish to see and better understand the retread process and to observe how a tire is properly repaired.

Our industry also maintains a Speakers Bureau and we will be happy to speak to any public sector or private sector group anywhere to more fully explain the many benefits retreading and proper tire repairs bring to private and public sectors everywhere.

Finally, we want to bring your attention to the fact that every major new tire manufacturer strongly supports retreading as part of the life cycle of a tire.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Harvey Brodsky
Managing Director
Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau/TRIB

Generally, after some reading and research, I think recap tires are getting better than before. They're reliable if you take care.
Recap = Recycling
Recap = Cost effective
Recap tires use about 68% oil less to make one big truck tire than making a new one. So it's good for environment for using less oil.

Personally, I haven't used one yet. When I use them, I will know more.

Last edited by SSSVX; 01-14-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
My 2c........

Rubber degrades and dries over time, the sidewall and bead sealing surface are original in a recap tire.....therefore the most safety-vital parts of the tire can be MUCH older than the tread area.

I have personally seen tires (purchased from the local used tire dealer) blow completely out on the sidewall or bead area due to damage during mounting (dry rubber doesnt stretch, it rips) and if the person is cornering or traveling at freeway speeds, it can be fatal.
I have the same opinions with you on this. I am picky about the tires when I come to buy them, at my best budget. I don't like buying tires have the 80,000 warranty or S rated tire. I like to have something at least H rated and 30,000 to 50,000 warranty. If I can get 30,000miles out of it, I am satisfied and so I can have fresh tires every 1.5yrs to 2yrs. I don't like to have tires more than 4yrs old as I feel what you said, the sidewall rubber and tires will dry out over the times.

Now I read somewhere that some new recap tires even has new rubber on the sidewall other than new tread. The tire cast can last for a long time if you take care. If the old tire fails the test, they're not going to retread them. Also, a lot of times, the tires blow-out cases is the tires were under inflated to cause that. That's why, cars after 2006, or 2007 up, they're all equipped with TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) which I think is very good safety feature.

Again, I ain't helping retread tires because I haven't tried one yet. But, I might do more research and give them a chance when I need tires for my old cars.

Last edited by SSSVX; 01-14-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post

Very good advice. *thumbs up* Same for me.
I agree it's a very good advice.
I'm pretty picky when it comes to tires/brakes and maintenance on my daily drive. I read quite a bit before I bought my tires. I was worried about its weight and what kinda rolling resistance will affect my mpg lol and I want traction too. What tire is good for the money you spend. I highly recommend the ceramic brake pads. They're dust-free, less heat, last long, good for the rotors. I could get more than 80k pad life on the front from the ceramic brake pads and my front rotors are still good. Very cool.
In the recent Christmas trip to NYC and DC, I got a 42mpg on highway, even stuck in the city traffics mixed with highway I still got 37mpg, very happy. Drive a lil lower than speed limit, mix with hypermile drivings, lot of DFCO(deceleration fuel cut-off) techniques as well. Nice daily drive.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
read the title they're using the recap tires to do the race. they tried to keep racing and use as much as tires as possible and drift as well.
ummm the video I'm talking about is a good example of this defination:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ed=0CAQQowMoAA

and I state once again has nothing to do with recap tires it is about a rebroadcast of a show.