SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Front Look Design Update

Just so it's marked here, the SVX wagon jobby shown above was dubbed the Amadeus.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Just so it's marked here, the SVX wagon jobby shown above was dubbed the Amadeus.
The Amadeus has been discussed many times on here over the years. The significance of the above post is that the member actually saw and photographed the car.

One of the earlier posts about it can be found here. The search feature will turn up many other posts about it.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=amadeus

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
I keep getting hung up on styling debates. One of the great appeals the SVX has for me is that IT DOESN'T LOOK JAPANESE. I don't mean this as a slur, but there are a couple of styling characteristics that seem to appeal to Japanese home market buyers. First, they seem to like more extreme wedginess in the shape. I used to call it the "big hips" look. And second, they seem to like a blunt, aggressive front fascia. The SVX has neither. It has a horizontal thrust that is parallel to the ground, a distinctly European styling mode. And modifying that look with anything that makes a big, flat air dam front makes the car look as if it has been scared by a Cat D8 dozer.

A case in point. When Toyota opened its Calty Design studios in Southern California, the first car they developed was the Celica. U.S. buyers flocked to the model, which sold far better than the one it replaced. However, in the JDM market, it sold less well than the previous model. This seems to be mainly the result of different styling tastes on the two sides of the Pacific.
So, to get back to the SVX, a restyle on the front would have to continue the bullet-like thrust of the current nose. And please, don't make it wedgy.

Just as an aside, I was going through my photo archives, and found this shot I took of the SVX wagon prototype I took at the Los Angeles Auto Show in '93 or '94, when it made its brief appearance on the show circuit.
Paul
Did you get any more pics of the Amadeus?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM

Amadeus? It seems is the concept from Tokyo Motorshow 91.

And more interesting concepts from Subaru.

Nunquam Non Paratus
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
I keep getting hung up on styling debates. One of the great appeals the SVX has for me is that IT DOESN'T LOOK JAPANESE. I don't mean this as a slur, but there are a couple of styling characteristics that seem to appeal to Japanese home market buyers. First, they seem to like more extreme wedginess in the shape. I used to call it the "big hips" look. And second, they seem to like a blunt, aggressive front fascia. The SVX has neither. It has a horizontal thrust that is parallel to the ground, a distinctly European styling mode. And modifying that look with anything that makes a big, flat air dam front makes the car look as if it has been scared by a Cat D8 dozer.

A case in point. When Toyota opened its Calty Design studios in Southern California, the first car they developed was the Celica. U.S. buyers flocked to the model, which sold far better than the one it replaced. However, in the JDM market, it sold less well than the previous model. This seems to be mainly the result of different styling tastes on the two sides of the Pacific.
So, to get back to the SVX, a restyle on the front would have to continue the bullet-like thrust of the current nose. And please, don't make it wedgy.

Just as an aside, I was going through my photo archives, and found this shot I took of the SVX wagon prototype I took at the Los Angeles Auto Show in '93 or '94, when it made its brief appearance on the show circuit.
Paul
Great picture Paul, thanks.

What you have said re the bullet nose and horizontal styling I have mentioned before and I'm in agreement with you in general terms.

This does not mean I'm taking an ultra conservative stance or think the SVX is so perfect it can't be improved. But I do believe the design ethos from scratch was for a clean design with obvious clean penetrative profile to the wind, which requires or demands a projectile nose rather than a cow catcher.

And for the record I'm not too fond of the "cleaning up" design features of the Amadeus. It loses what little aggression the SVX had at the nose and ends up looking like a humongous great suppository.

Not my cup of tea.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
The significance of the above post is that the member actually saw and photographed the car.
The significance of my post was to give someone who hasn't seen the car before something to Search for! One of the reasons that people don't search as much as they could (should?) is the lack of meta and labeling. No need to fear support of this cause.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Thank you for reminding me about the Amadeus. The photo is a scan from a 35mm Ektachrome I shot on the press day of the 1993 Los Angeles show. I'm sorry I don't have any more pictures, but press days are hectic, and we're all herded from one manufacturer's stand to another, with barely enough time between. This year's press days are Dec. 2 and 3, and since 16 years later I have considerably reduced leg power, and the Convention Center has been doubled in size, getting from one conference to another is a real problem for me. And trying to see anything on the public days is like being in a zoo. This year Subaru may have the prototype they showed in Tokyo, if so, I will get a couple of shots, at least. And my current 15 Mpix Canon is actually sharper than the Nikon/Ekcachrome combination I used 16 years ago.

I agree that the front on the Amadeus is less powerful than on the SVX. But the car does emphasize the horizontal look. I suspect the Amadeus was done in-house, without the input from Guiguiaro that makes the SVX so special.

Just a couple of thoughts,
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 11-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to MureZeriups
Front Look Design Update

Man, Im sure this set-up is better than the Z type, I was looking at changing to this style way back when I started my project. I had a complete front set-up from an S14 200SX brakes
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thank you for reminding me about the Amadeus. The photo is a scan from a 35mm Ektachrome I shot on the press day of the 1993 Los Angeles show. I'm sorry I don't have any more pictures, but press days are hectic, and we're all herded from one manufacturer's stand to another, with barely enough time between. This year's press days are Dec. 2 and 3, and since 16 years later I have considerably reduced leg power, and the Convention Center has been doubled in size, getting from one conference to another is a real problem for me. And trying to see anything on the public days is like being in a zoo. This year Subaru may have the prototype they showed in Tokyo, if so, I will get a couple of shots, at least. And my current 15 Mpix Canon is actually sharper than the Nikon/Ekcachrome combination I used 16 years ago.

Paul
Will the Toyota FT-86 be at that show too? if so try snap some actual pics of the engine bay
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration