Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Re: Tranny Help!!!

Samething happened to me...Took it to AAMCO...They drove it and said everything is fine....I asked if they had a good Subaru trans tech first, sure we have the best.....I told him about the codes it had...Said ahh don`t worry about it its fine.....Ya ok buddy....Got it outta there as quick as possible, no charge...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just curious.... did you check the fluid levels in the diff or trans?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Yes, everything appeared to be in order, decent color and no shavings from what i could tell, this just came outta nowhere. The grinding was terrible after i lost the gears, so something is definitley chewed up, i just dont know why it would drive fine once it was first started up again. I had to have it flatbedded to the mechanic because it wouldnt move. Hopefully he opens it up tomorrow and gives me the diagnosis.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX

SO an update and a question....We determined that my tranny internals were shot. The hydraulics are broken and the clutches in the tranny basically shredded. My mechanic told me he has an automatic out of a 96 legacy and its in good shape. Will that bolt up onto my 92 svx and will i need to transfer the front diff or anything, any input will help a ton as this may be a fairly inexpensive tranny replacement Thanks guys, this site is great!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
SO an update and a question....We determined that my tranny internals were shot. The hydraulics are broken and the clutches in the tranny basically shredded. My mechanic told me he has an automatic out of a 96 legacy and its in good shape. Will that bolt up onto my 92 svx and will i need to transfer the front diff or anything, any input will help a ton as this may be a fairly inexpensive tranny replacement Thanks guys, this site is great!!
Yes it will work fine, just need to swap in a matching rear differential.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM

The answer is not that easy I’m afraid.
The Legacy differential ratio is different from the SVX so you would need the rear end also as stated by 1986nate. But the Legacy rear end will not be limited slip like the SVX so the passenger axle is different. You can use a driver’s side SVX axle on the passenger side of the non-LSD Legacy rear end. So you would need to source that also.
You could also use the Legacy rear end and have the rear gear carrier from your SVX swapped in which would retain the LSD and use your current SVX axle.
Or you could get a 96-early 98 Outback transmission and rear end which have the preferred 4.44 gear ratios. You would still have the axle issue to deal with, driver’s side axle and no LSD or swap the LSD gear cluster and use your axle.
Also don’t forget that any change from the stock 3.54 SVX gear ratio will change the indicated speedometer reading from actual MPH.
There are several write ups on doing the swaps. Tomsvx’s was the best I read. I also called him and he was very helpful as I was deciding what to do with a bad transmission.
Good luck,
Keith
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the tips, my mechanic has a 96 legacy with a good tranny so thats why im adiment about trying to use the one he has cause he will cut me a deal. Im pretty mechanically dumb tho : ) So i can use the transmission from the legacy he has and then shop around for a 4.44 rear end from a different source. The AWD on my 93 legacy i have is by far much better than the AWD in my 92 svx so im not worried about the LSD functionally. I will run this all by him once he calls back and see what he tells me, I really need to brush up on my mechanic ability.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Registered SVX

So i found a person that said he would be able to get me a tranny with 4.44 gears and then do the work on my rear diff to make it all work. Its 775 total for the tranny and diff with the new gears and id have to drive to ohio to get this, (about 5 hrs) and id bring my existing rear diff with me to get fixed. Then my mechanic said he could probably do all the labor for about 400$ that includes swapping speed sensors and mounts. There is a 90 day warranty on the tranny and is supposed to have all the issues resolved with the earlier bad trannys. So is 1200 a good deal all together and what exactly will the new gears do? Any input appreciated, Thanks

Nicknamed the SexVX : )