How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to newkid17 Send a message via Yahoo to newkid17
gas tank and front diff. question

my girlfriends svx is getting crappy gas mileage (so i thought). i would take it into town, and back home(app. 12 mi. round trip) and i was using about 1/8 of a tank of gas. so i told her to run it down to E. and fill it up to see how much gas it takes, it only too 8 gallons. our tanks are 18 gallons right? so what i am thinking is either the sending unit is bad or there is gas in the float which would make it read less than whats in it. ????what do you guys think?

and i have been changing my front diff. and i went to put fluid in it last night and the dipstick was not coming out, anyone ever had this problem before? i think i am going to try and heat it up because maybe it is frozen? it has been sitting outside and its went down to around -20 last week.

Bobby
Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: gas tank and front diff. question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkid17 View Post
my girlfriends svx is getting crappy gas mileage (so i thought). i would take it into town, and back home(app. 12 mi. round trip) and i was using about 1/8 of a tank of gas. so i told her to run it down to E. and fill it up to see how much gas it takes, it only too 8 gallons. our tanks are 18 gallons right? so what i am thinking is either the sending unit is bad or there is gas in the float which would make it read less than whats in it. ????what do you guys think?

and i have been changing my front diff. and i went to put fluid in it last night and the dipstick was not coming out, anyone ever had this problem before? i think i am going to try and heat it up because maybe it is frozen? it has been sitting outside and its went down to around -20 last week.

Bobby
The fuel gauge is just there to fill the gap in the dash. They are very misleading in the reading. The only reading you can rely on is when its full.

Run it down till the little bowser light comes on then fill, to see how much it takes then.

There are cases of the fuel not being pumped from the right side tank to the pick-up side.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

Front Diff dip stick stuck? Just had that problem with mine! Ask YT about it. He will tell you what he had to do. What a pain in the a..
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkid17 View Post

Bobby
Try spraying some penetrating oil on it and letting it sit for a while. You can also tap it lightly with a hammer to help free it. Mine was a pain too since it hadnt been touched in years before I bought it.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.