Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
:o

I saw before the (2) edit(s).

Now I don't get it.

Unless you are coming on to me.
What I was trying to say was there's no excuse for being reckless. And no, I wasn't coming on to you. What an imagination you have.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
No I totally agree. That's why we have this thread about a guy in a ditch.

Whether or not he's at fault is debatable, but someone or something is. His AWD apparently doesn't work so... we are kinda poking fun at spinning tires right now.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
No I totally agree. That's why we have this thread about a guy in a ditch.

Whether or not he's at fault is debatable, but someone or something is. His AWD apparently doesn't work so... we are kinda poking fun at spinning tires right now.
I had someone standing outside my car when I was last stuck - due to a snow plow that had come down the street and created a wall of snow along side my car while i was parked. When I was tryign to get out, I had a buddy stand outside the car. He said my back rear tires were spinning, while the front ones weren't. Strange. I eventually got out, but it took some effort.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM

Most likely, 3 wheels were spinning. Not a good system at all. A legacy whould have driven right out without any problems.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
The USDM SVX's AWD system is cheap in comparison to it's foreign brethren, yet is probably better suited to the highway.
It's not undefeatable in snow, but it is far from inadequate. A skilled driver (such as myself ) will have no problems, ever, provided everything works.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Wow!!! What a great sentence full of fancy words and intelligent sounding rhetoric. Just out of curiosity I have to ask: Where do your so-called "skills" come from?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Experience? I've been driving in the snow for over a decade. I've had problems and I've hit things in my older cars. Mostly I abused the XT6. Worst I've done in the SVX is ram a couple snow burms at low speed. I ripped off the inner left front fender guard over a curb. That black plastic thing inside the wheel well.

Not saying I was made this way, but I do have experience. What I meant was anyone with comparable or similar experience will be able to drive the SVX in all conditions without issue. I have evaded plenty of potentially life-threatening situations due to a combination of my driving awareness and this car's excellent engineering.

Right now I think I can say I have progressed beyond the engineering, because I can drive any vehicle in deep snow or ice without getting stuck or hitting anything.

Anyway I think we have totally turned the direction of this thread into something more boring. :/

Old 01-31-2007, 04:44 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieGravy
Most likely, 3 wheels were spinning. Not a good system at all. A legacy whould have driven right out without any problems.
interesting comment since we share drivetrains with the legacy.

A DL/GL - now one of those would have driven right out!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
interesting comment since we share drivetrains with the legacy.

A DL/GL - now one of those would have driven right out!
Actually the legacey has a less effective system than ours because they function on 2 open diffs while we have at least i LSD

Tom
Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Actually the legacey has a less effective system than ours because they function on 2 open diffs while we have at least i LSD

Tom
The '91 Legacy SS uses the same AWD system as the SVX.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
I have driven in the snow and ice a lot with a few different subaru's and the only thing I can say is, tires mean a whole lot!
My 95 legacy was amazing in the snow, it would go through anything. When I lived in NY along the road we used to live, the plows would push the snow up behind my car, it usually went all the way up to the window in the back, on a few occasions when I was running late for work and didnt have time to uncover my car, I would drive forward an inch and slam on the gas in reverse and it would go right through it. I had driven that car in snow up to its bumpers without problem. It could go through anything.
I dont feel quite as confident in the SVX's AWD, it doesnt feel as stable. I have bought a new set of tires for it though and it does feel better, its not sliding around as much, but I dont have the confidence in the car that I had with my legacy.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Any probs with snow crammed into your tailpipe??
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Any probs with snow crammed into your tailpipe??

LOL Never. I am sure it melted pretty fast.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Experience? I've been driving in the snow for over a decade. I've had problems and I've hit things in my older cars. Mostly I abused the XT6. Worst I've done in the SVX is ram a couple snow burms at low speed. I ripped off the inner left front fender guard over a curb. That black plastic thing inside the wheel well.

Not saying I was made this way, but I do have experience. What I meant was anyone with comparable or similar experience will be able to drive the SVX in all conditions without issue. I have evaded plenty of potentially life-threatening situations due to a combination of my driving awareness and this car's excellent engineering.

Right now I think I can say I have progressed beyond the engineering, because I can drive any vehicle in deep snow or ice without getting stuck or hitting anything.

Anyway I think we have totally turned the direction of this thread into something more boring. :/
Apologize for being somewhat of a smart ass. I don't doubt you have some good experience living in AK.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928
I have driven in the snow and ice a lot with a few different subaru's and the only thing I can say is, tires mean a whole lot!
My 95 legacy was amazing in the snow, it would go through anything. When I lived in NY along the road we used to live, the plows would push the snow up behind my car, it usually went all the way up to the window in the back, on a few occasions when I was running late for work and didnt have time to uncover my car, I would drive forward an inch and slam on the gas in reverse and it would go right through it. I had driven that car in snow up to its bumpers without problem. It could go through anything.
I dont feel quite as confident in the SVX's AWD, it doesnt feel as stable. I have bought a new set of tires for it though and it does feel better, its not sliding around as much, but I dont have the confidence in the car that I had with my legacy.
AMEN! You and many others.

I remember once having to have my buddy, in his legacy, clear the way for me so I could get out in my SVX. His legacy was up to it's bumper in snow, pushing it out of the way. No way in hell an SVX could do that. There was about 2 feet of snow on the ground. I'd have gotten about 4 inches at best before getting stuck.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 01-31-2007 at 10:14 AM.