Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2007, 02:19 PM

Chains

Hey, I was wondering where a good place to get chains is and hwat ones are the best value. I hate this gosh darn snow. I need chains for littleton, and i can't imagine how i would have been able to get around greeley. it's soo much worse, and i have to move there next week.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Peace Sells... are you buying?

Well wayyy back in the day when I worked at Discount Tire (Jewell and Kipling, store #5... which burned to the ground a few months ago) we used to sell them. I don't know if they still do but it's worth a call.

Personally I would stay away from Checker's, AutoZone and their ilk (no offense to anyone, I have just had some bad experiences). Those type of stores have a tendency to be a "Jack of all trades... master of none" kind of store (as a rule anyways). Napa seems to be okay though at least in my experience.

My advice; call a plumber if you have a leaky faucet, call an electrician if your house lights don't work and ask someone at a tire store where you can get a good set of chains.

Out of curiousity these chains wouldn't be going on an SVX would they? I want to say I saw a warning in my owners manual on that topic. Could be my imagination though.

Ira
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Chains are an absolute pain in the ass. They only work on ice, and they are only meant to work on ice. If you enjoy putting them on and taking them off (I don't, 'course they were for 30in tires) go for it.

I would not use them unless you are going up and down hills all the time. Anchorage is a hilly place, but not so much people need them here. Only moving trucks need them if they are going to hillside, and only at the point they reach or anticipate an impassible slope of ice.

What kind of vehicle are you going to put them on?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Yeah, i was planning on getting a set for my front tires. I live in littleton and my large neighborhood has about 8-10 inches of ice on it, covered by the new 8-10 inches of snow.
On my way home, i got stuck along with the mail truck, a tow truck, u-haul, minivan, jeep cheroke, and my friends suzuki (with snow tires).
My friend was able to pull me out with a running start. whenever he went slow, he got stuck again and we had to push him out.

I figured that since i am planning on going to the mountains often, and we are getting huge snow storms often too, that i would look into getting chains. My legacy wagon worked fine till it was totaled. I don't have the money for snow tires right now, so i am going to my next best opion (chains).

btw, has anyone else seen anything warning about using chains on the SVX?

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by etz bseder
btw, has anyone else seen anything warning about using chains on the SVX?
There is a warning about altering the circumference of your tires, because you could destroy the center differential over time. Putting chains on your tires would in effect make the circumference inconsistent, but if you are driving in snow all the time I don't see how it matters.

Chains are also not as strong as some people think, but if you drive slowly and avoid dry or flat roads or long distances you should be fine.

Like I mentioned about the trucks, though, your best bet is to keep them handy, and use them when the need arises.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Okay my bad.

I went out and got my manual.

The only warning for chains was as follows: Use them only on the front tires, use only class S type chains (whatever those are) for your tire size and drive at speeds under 19 mph (or 30 kph).

So there you have it... no drag racing.

Ira
Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Davis
class S type chains (whatever those are)
"The restricted wheel well clearance in most of today's down-sized and front drive vehicles may require the use of SAE class "S" tire chains, as noted in the vehicles' owners manual."

"Class "S" is a minimum clearance requirement set by some vehicle manufactures."

http://www.tirechain.com/sae.htm

Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 PM

Yeah, makes sense.

Never had much use for chains. As you stated before unless you are trying to crawl up big ice covered hills (provided you have four or all wheel drive and good tires) I can't really see a need for them other than winter four wheeling. Our vehicles all had lockers in the front and rear differentials and after you aired down (the tires) you generally had plenty of traction. If we still couldn't move forward it was either time to break out the winches and snow shovels or the beer... whichever seemed more appropriate at the time.

Ira