Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Raceconcept brakes installed - couple Q's

I just installed the raceconcept brake kit for all 4 corners including ss lines. I've got a couple questions as my brakes are still performing poorly.

1) Seems the brake pedal has too much initial travel, then seems pretty spongy and requires more pressure to get decent braking. While at a stop, if I press on the brake pedal with more pressure, I can get it to bottom out. Then when I release the pedal, it pushes back to the normal position with the same spongy feel. I've bled the system(abs, calipers) twice with same results. Before replacing the brakes, the pedal felt very similar, if not exactly the same. So I've never had a "firm" pedal.

2) The left rear SS line seems to be leaking. Where it connects to the brake line, I've notices the clear cover over the braid has become very cloudy with a slight blue(new fluid) and it about 2" long. Am I correct? Is this a dangerous situation? I've left a few messages with Raceconcepts with no reply yet.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Sounds like you still have some air in the lines. When I did my hoses I thought I'd never get it all out. I assume you've pumped fresh fluid into and through all 4 calipers. Just be patient and you'll get it to firm up. The discoloration on the one hose doesn't sound good, but no actual leakage?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-06-2006, 09:14 PM

My first thought was the master cylinder is bad. But after more research, I'm now more inclined to think it's air as well. With the engine off, when I apply pressure to the brake pedal, it travels about half way and is spongy. If I apply more pressure I can eventually get the pedal to bottom out. But during the whole session, the pressure it takes to push the pedal seems to remain constant. Does this mean the master cylinder is holding like is should? Otherwise I think the pressure the pedal requires would reduce over time, especially if I hold the pedal down for some time.

So I gonna go with air trapped in the master cylinder. I found some instructions on how to bleed the master cylinder using a bag to catch the fluid. Sounds simple but messy. So I'm wondering does anyone know if I use a pressure bleeder system instead of the "pump" method will remove any air in the master cylinder? I can make one fairly easily with another cap and my air compressor. Or is it the same as 'pump' and only way is to bag it and bleed?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Get an autobleeder, it makes things alot easier/cleaner. Bleeding is a two-person job and you will NEED to do it after you change the lines, or of course it'll feel spongy, there's tons of air in it.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM

I was bleeding the brakes on my 92 for the second or third time when suddenly while bleeding the rear passenger side caliper it kind of blew all kinds of crap out. Weird. After that my soft pedal problem improved. Definitely need two people for the job and don't forget the bleed the abs valve thingy in the engine compartment first.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Am I correct with mc 1st, abs 2nd, then calipers? Furthest caliper to nearest from mc, or order in the service manual?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:42 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
I am just about to put a document in my locker which explains a bit about the bleeding process and which bit first etc. Note that it is for subarus in general and not specifically for the SVX, but should be accurate. File name is : Ahh actually, it's been changed! Just have a look....
There is some other stuff there too, have a look. I bled my brakes according to this with no probs.

Matt

Just Crusin'

Last edited by floatingkiwi; 03-08-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Great information Matt. Thank you.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Great!!! Thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 AM

I do not know if this might help but Jiffy lube and Good year has pressure bleeders. Also for your tranny. If all else fails....
Old 03-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
From what I understand, them power bleeder transmission things are bad news. Figure it this way...Al the metal shavings and genral gunk are on the bottom of your transmission pan. That fluid, with its gunk and metal, really never leaves the bottom. Now if you get a power flush, it gets blown all over the place. Some of it comes out, but the rest ends up in places you really dont want it. Ive heard horror stories of people getting their trannies powerflushed only to have them explode on them a week or two later.
but thats just the transmission.. powerd brake bleeders rule
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten