Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM

Steering/Rack and Pinion Issues

I have a rebuilt rack and pinion in my car for about six to eight months with a three year warranty. It worked ok after install by subaru. It felt a little more stiff than what I expected but consistently the same. Then a few months ago I noticed some slight slippage as I would make turns. Both sides. Now when the temperature drops even into the fifties and sixties it really starts stiffening and almost locking up. It got into the upper forties last night and it was really even more stiff when I went to lunch. Driving home from work it was a little better. Why is the colder weather causing this? Is they're anything I can do other than get another rack. I have the right fluid in and I did an o-ring change about a month ago. The power steering pump was replaced with the re-built rack. It doesn't leak. I took some fluid out and put a bottle of Lucas fluid in and it helped some. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I replaced my steering rack about 3 weeks ago. It is doing the same thing you described. Before the real cold and snow hit, the steering was a little tighter than my Legacy. I actually liked it that way. As soon as the temp dropped below 30, the steering was so stiff i almost got an arm cramp just making a 360 turn around our cul-de-sac. I've noticed that once my svx gets warmed up the steering gets markably better, but its definitly not like it was before it got cold.

Good luck finding an answer... I'm curious if other people have seen this. I thought it was just me!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I've been told there is a difference both in the pump, and the rack between the engine RPM sensing, and the Vehicle speed sensing steering. Do you think they may have put in the wrong type for your particular option?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 AM

There is a difference, but I did mention that to my mechanic and he's a pretty sharp guy. I doubt he would have made that mistake. When I get some time (prob next week) i'm gonna swing by his shop and see if he'll take a look at it. If I find anything out, I will let you guys know what's going on.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 12-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue thunder
I have a rebuilt rack and pinion in my car for about six to eight months with a three year warranty. It worked ok after install by subaru. It felt a little more stiff than what I expected but consistently the same. Then a few months ago I noticed some slight slippage as I would make turns. Both sides. Now when the temperature drops even into the fifties and sixties it really starts stiffening and almost locking up. It got into the upper forties last night and it was really even more stiff when I went to lunch. Driving home from work it was a little better. Why is the colder weather causing this? Is they're anything I can do other than get another rack. I have the right fluid in and I did an o-ring change about a month ago. The power steering pump was replaced with the re-built rack. It doesn't leak. I took some fluid out and put a bottle of Lucas fluid in and it helped some. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Mike
This may sound really stupid but you would be amazed how many people get 'tripped up' by it.....
Trans fluid/ATF-in this case Dextron III? Expands to up to 20% of it's volume when heated to 60DegC. Basically, you are describing low fluid when cold.....
although if there is now associated noises I would be looking elsewhere.....there are two marks on the pwr stg dipstick, cold and hot...use the hot one, when it's hot!!
Also, do you guys have the 'sport-normal' selector on the lower drivers dash?
This is a switch that operates a solenoid in the pwr stg high pressure line that restricts the flow of fluid to the power piston in the rack, basically it reduces the amount of 'assistance' the pump gives the rack....check this out too. If you can't find the switch, have a look at the top of the rack, (torsion valve housing or tower), you will see a two wired solenoid hanging out of this housing. Test it, also, I think there is an O' ring on the solenoid that may be prone to leaking/bypassing internally. Ask you Subaru Dealer if in doubt...
Cheers

Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 08:40 PM

It's interesting you mention a switch under the dash, because I was working on a different problem in that same area the day before I noticed the change in the power steering. I suppose its possible I hit the switch accidently while I was working down there. However, I can't seem to find the switch you are talking about. Did the 92 LSi's have it? If so, can someone post a picture? Maybe i'm just blind.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan
It's interesting you mention a switch under the dash, because I was working on a different problem in that same area the day before I noticed the change in the power steering. I suppose its possible I hit the switch accidently while I was working down there. However, I can't seem to find the switch you are talking about. Did the 92 LSi's have it? If so, can someone post a picture? Maybe i'm just blind.
There is no steering boost selector on the U.S. SVX. The '92 LS L has speed-sensitive power steering; the LS version is controlled by engine RPM.

dcb
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
There is no steering boost selector on the U.S. SVX. The '92 LS L has speed-sensitive power steering; the LS version is controlled by engine RPM.

dcb
HEY!! now be aware....I AM NOT BUSTING YOUR BALLS!!! LOL!
This is a cheerful illumination post! The switch, (when depressed/engaged), does not 'boost' the supplied fluid pressure, it restricts it. I am NOT having a go at you, trust me! The solenoid works to restrict the fluid flow to the power piston in the Rack, basically it reduces the assistance by about 30%, (by feel I mean, I have NOT done a line pressure test with the switch in both positions, just going by feel!).
The other thing is a question because I am unaware how your PWR STG works when it is 'standard', ie:no speed sensitive, no restrictor etc.
So the only limiting factor would be the pressure relief valve in the pump??
In which case, the engine RPM would have nothing to do with the amount of PWR STG assistance given, as the lowest RPM possible would still supply enough pressure to assist the Power Piston 100%.
I am NOT having a dig at you, I am trying to become educated while being educated....
(I am not an expert on a model I have never seen)
Cheers Bud,
Sixpack
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 AM

I'm afraid you lost me, friend...

My choice of terms was poor; by "boost selector," I meant there is no switch that either increases nor decreases the level of power steering assist. Not of which I'm aware, anyway. (I'm no expert, either.)

dcb
Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Steering selector switch.

I don't think any SVX has this switch, the only unit under the dash is the 'speed sensitive' ECU bolted to the colume.May be some other Subaru model?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Here they have two switches, (well the ones I have worked on have!), on eis for 'sport' or 'normal' pwr stg, the other is for 'winter' or 'summer' on the wipers!!
Cheers Harvey,
Sixpack
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 AM

Out of Whack Rack

I have a brand new subaru oem rack coming in today. Hopefully early so I can make my one o'clock appointment for install at Subaru. The one in the car was a rebuilt one I got online. Junk. No more rebuilds online of anykind. The day after I ordered the new rack the steering worked perfectly for a few days to mess with my mind and question my decision but the problem came back close to the same as before. Will post how the new one works later on.

Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 AM

I don't know if anyone found a final solution to this or not. It turns out my problem was the my power steering pump died! It had nothing to do with the rack itself. Just bad co-incidence, I guess. Unless anyone has a possible explanation for why the pump would die after a new rack gets put in?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:43 PM

Rack not the problem

I kind of forgot about this thread with everything else I have going on. I had a new oem rack put in and the steering problem didn't go away I just got a new universal joint assembly unit from ups today and scheduled for install at Subaru for no charge Mon. morning. This should fix the problem. It is making noise when the wheel is turned. Anyone need a used rack that works fine. I'll put it on the other page or on ebay soon. Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-30-2005, 11:09 PM

The bad UV Joint was causing the stiffness in the steering? Are you sure that diagnosis is correct? I had bad UV joints in the front and the only symptom I had was a rubbing noise when making hard turns. Did they check the functionality of the PS pump?