How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Registered SVX
Windshield cracking due to temperature changes?

I've not heard of this happening, but apparently, it's happened to me.

There were no cracks in my windshield last night when I pulled in the drive from work.

I started her up this morning to get her warming as I got ready for work.

When I came back out to drive off, I noticed a crack about 5" up from the bottom (approximately right where the defrost exhaust hits) that started about 5" from the left side and ran across the width of the windshield to about 7" from the right.

Needless to say, I need a new windshield (amber, I believe... For a '92 Teal LS-L), see my post in Wanted/For Sale.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Probably had a slight ding in it that hadn't split you never noticed. That sucks! If you were closer I'd say I have one but that's a distance to come for a windshield!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM

I'd say there's probably been a minute flaw or chip in the edge of the glass from the beginning. Over time, with stress from temperature changes and flexing of the body structure, it lets go.

I had an (aftermarket) windshield do something similar on my '86 wagon in cold weather and figured the installer probably introduced a chip or crack when he set the glass.

dcb
Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Bummer. Have not heard of that in the SVX. It is a problem in some other brands though. PT Cruiser for example.

Temp here will swing from -25 C to + 25 C in 12 - 24 hours then drop right back down again.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
wow, the same exact thing happened to my roomates 91 BMW 318is just last night. My dad works with windshields, he said that in the colder regions, that happens if it gets cold enough, but is very rare. Welcome to the windshield hunt by the way, i've been looking for over 2 months......

the local dealership won't even touch the windshield, they said it is too big of a risk of it breaking and having to find another to replace it.....

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Same thing happened to me last night. Had a small little chip that I wouldn't have even thought to be significant to fill. It started in the passenger side corner about 3 or 4 inches up. I litterally watched it get bigger and bigger and bigger. My whole dam windshield is now ruined.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's the same as mine. A tiny chip started to spread within 24 hours. Meanwhile the large chip I've had for years stays put.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM

I've had it happen on a previous vehicle (92 chevy caprice) you don't necessarily need a crack or chip to cause it, (but it helps) the biggest factor is a big (rapid) change in temp. Best thing to do now is "fill" it with something on either end to keep it from spreading more (use something like a thin bead of clear silicone, crazy glue or even clear nail polish) until you can find a replacement.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Yeah I noticed a 3 inch crack in the corner of my XT about a month ago. It just happens to be where they put the inspection stickers but of course I didn't notice it right after that so I can't really blame them. I've just got my fingers crossed it makes it til spring but really there is NO reason why everybody with an SVX shouldn't have glass coverage for their car. It only adds between $15-50 a year depending on your credit and driving record then you just have a deductable to pay rather than a grand for a windshield. Even at $50 a year it would take you 20 years without any broken glass to pay for itself not to have it!