IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji
Hello from across the pond!

I've got a 92 UK supplied SVX with a recently developed slipping 2nd to 3rd, a Pal of mine told me about the adjuster on the box and after a search found this thread. Ok, it seems quite straight forward to adjust the brake band and hopefully will cure the problem as the thought of a new or repaired auto box...........

To the point, is this a normal service procedure or just a quick fix until the inevitable.

John
I think this wont fix the slipping problems. It just fixes the delays or high rpms while shifting as far as i know. Anyway better luck on ur adjustment. If u really think its goin to slip, then its time for you to start looking for used trannies out from legacy or impreza.

-Pavan.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji
Hello from across the pond!

I've got a 92 UK supplied SVX with a recently developed slipping 2nd to 3rd, a Pal of mine told me about the adjuster on the box and after a search found this thread. Ok, it seems quite straight forward to adjust the brake band and hopefully will cure the problem as the thought of a new or repaired auto box...........

To the point, is this a normal service procedure or just a quick fix until the inevitable.

John
It is a normal service procedue and will fix the slipping from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd shift. (edited after Harvey's post )

You might also try disconnecting the resistor behind the battery to get full line pressure to see if the slipping goes away.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 08-23-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
It is a normal service procedue and will fix the slipping from 1st to 2nd but will not help the 2nd to 3rd shift.

You might also try disconnecting the resistor behind the battery to get full line pressure to see if the slipping goes away.
Just a minute there, the band adjustment will fix the flaring on the 2nd to 3rd change, it is like adjusting the hand brake, as Matt says it is normal service adjustment, and doesn't signal the terminal demise.

When the band wears, on the 2/3 change, it will start to release the band before the high clutch has applied, so the box goes back to 1st, till the high clutch comes on. Adjusting the band clearance, restores the timing between the two changes, and all is back to normal

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:23 PM
building more AK47's

My car shifts 1st to 2nd with 2nd being all revs no acceleration. Will doing the band adjustment help? All other gears are fine just no 2nd
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would try the adjustment. Yours sounds like it's way out of proper adjustment.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:23 PM
building more AK47's

Theres a local tranny shop that says they can adjust it in the car. Ive turned that adjustment screw 2-3 turns and Im running out of threads to go down any farther.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
Theres a local tranny shop that says they can adjust it in the car. Ive turned that adjustment screw 2-3 turns and Im running out of threads to go down any farther.
Does it have 4th gear ok?. If the band slips that bad in 2nd, it should also slip in 4th. So that you only have 1st and 3rd.

When you say "Ive turned that adjustment screw 2-3 turns and Im running out of threads to go down any farther" does the screw tighten up on the band, or is it a case of, it's loose all the way down?

Harvey.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM
There's a storm coming.

Harvey, Thank you for being there for us.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Harvey, Thank you for being there for us.
Arw shucks Tom. I reckon Chike and a few others would vote you as No.1 helper.
Harvey.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:14 PM
building more AK47's

Fourth is fine just no 2nd gear.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:40 AM

Okay SVX Guru's:
I've read through every post on this thread, but, nothing seems to address the glitch I'm having with my transmission. Here goes - I've got a 92 SVX LS-L, that had a recent torque converter installed by previous owner. In DRIVE, the car shift perfectly through all gears (nice, clean shifts) under acceleration up to high speed. If I'm going slow and uphill, it starts to "balk" and "buck" in higher gears, so I've had to downshift say from "D" to 3rd gear, or on some steep hills, even from 3rd to 2nd and keep the RPM's up and it is then fine. No slips between any gear change. Tight.
Now...coasting downhill, in DRIVE it seems fine. Put it in 3rd...it starts a breaking effect. Litterally, the darn trani acts like it's an ABS unit or something. It "breaks" the car in pulses. Put it back in "D" going down a steep incline, and it again seems to be fine. So I've been stuck manually shifting 1-2-3-D going up hills or freeway speed...and downshifting everytime I encounter a hill to compensate, keeping the RPM's up higher, or, back downhills coasting down in "D".
The worst this problem occurs is when in 3rd and coming down a hill - it is like it's pulsing the brakes (it's not - it is the trani doing it).
My question:
What IS THIS problem, and will it (hopefully) be corrected by this band adjustment?! If so...which way in this case am I adjusting that little 8mm bolt? In (clockwise) or out (counterclockwise). Please tell me it will fix this glitch(even if it's a lie!) as I'd really hate to find out it's time for a new transmission. Ouch.

Thanks for any reply,

Frank

86 Subaru Turbo-XT EAT AWD (Burgundy) - bone stock, and "mint" condition. 74,000 original miles.

94 Ford Taurus SHO ATX (Dark Green) - mods: Borla SS Exhaust, MSD Ignition, Carbon fiber Hood, Hella HID conversion headlight system.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel
The worst this problem occurs is when in 3rd and coming down a hill - it is like it's pulsing the brakes (it's not - it is the trani doing it).
My question:
What IS THIS problem, and will it (hopefully) be corrected by this band adjustment?! If so...which way in this case am I adjusting that little 8mm bolt? In (clockwise) or out (counterclockwise). Please tell me it will fix this glitch(even if it's a lie!) as I'd really hate to find out it's time for a new transmission. Ouch.

Thanks for any reply,

Frank
Check the resistor behind the battery - it may either be unplugged or it is shot.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 08-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Arw shucks Tom. I reckon Chike and a few others would vote you as No.1 helper.
Harvey.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-27-2005, 04:22 PM

I'll be on the safe side...does anyone have a part number and website link for this resistor (behind the battery). Mine is plugged in, but, with the luck I've been having with this car...I'll just buy another one. Thanks again,

Frank

86 Subaru Turbo-XT EAT AWD (Burgundy) - bone stock, and "mint" condition. 74,000 original miles.

94 Ford Taurus SHO ATX (Dark Green) - mods: Borla SS Exhaust, MSD Ignition, Carbon fiber Hood, Hella HID conversion headlight system.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel
I'll be on the safe side...does anyone have a part number and website link for this resistor (behind the battery). Mine is plugged in, but, with the luck I've been having with this car...I'll just buy another one. Thanks again,

Frank
It might just have been unplugged by the previous owner.

Look at your svx and if it looks like that photo, plug that thing back in.

22655AA021 Resistor AY. Available for $52 to $55 plus shipping -

If yours is already plugged in and could be bad please check the resistance - should be about 12 Ohms. Also - a bad or unplugged resistor would cause the power light to blink 16 times on startup. I'd hate for you to buy a new one and have it not be the problem.

Tomssvx is selling one in the wanted/for sale forum right now also.