Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Hater

i found out she's getting it for 3% under invoice - her friend works for Chrysler in Detroit and she is using her employee discount.
i did talk her out of the $3000+ factory navigation and into a Pioneer or Kenwood unit that does more for half the price.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i did talk her out of the $3000+ factory navigation and into a Pioneer or Kenwood unit that does more for half the price.
Just don't volunteer to install it for her. Chrysler is an absolute, certifiable nightmare when it comes to aftermarket audio/video installation.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Just don't volunteer to install it for her. Chrysler is an absolute, certifiable nightmare when it comes to aftermarket audio/video installation.
Just about all cars seem to be going in that direction. A friend of mine has a Cavalier (99?). In order to remove the radio, you need to take out the entire dash.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
As for an SUV, the GMC Envoy is much more nicely appointed than the Honda, and just as economical. More expensive though.

Just some suggestions from another American company.
Don't know any Envoy owners but a friend of mine has a Pilot which gets him 21mpg mostly city driving. Plus you need to remember GMs lack of resale value just like Dodge.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Don't know any Envoy owners but a friend of mine has a Pilot which gets him 21mpg mostly city driving. Plus you need to remember GMs lack of resale value just like Dodge.
Of course it's all relative to what you think "holding value" means...but GMC trucks are one of the top makes in resale value. Just like the import companies, GMC has managed to create an image that their trucks are better than Chevy trucks. So yes, a GMC will hold it's value much better than a Chevy. As for the other GM makes, Cadillacs and Pontiacs will hold their value with the best of them. Chevy is only a hair behind...whereas Buick and Oldsmobile are a different story all together.

So as in many cases, you can't just say GM in general in this case.

As for MPG, in everyday "mixed driving", you'll see 20-22, 25 max with highway only, and bottom end seems to be about 17 for the worst situations. Also remember this thing cranks out 275hp with it's smallest engine.

Last edited by Shadow248; 01-22-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Hater

why didn't you recommend the Equinox (with its Chinese engine)?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
why didn't you recommend the Equinox (with its Chinese engine)?
Well I figured since she was looking at a 300C, that she was looking for something "cool".
Old 01-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Locker Link Solution

talk her into a pacifica. I hated them at first, but after driving a couple it is starting to grow on me. They don't really feel crowded inside like many claim. They are not as big as they look, meaning it isn't a massive vehicle. And the AWD ins't too bad. The captain seating for second row with black leather looks real nice too.

If you only have 4 passengers, then you have plenty of storage space. with 6... day trip, and don't buy too much. with only two... you could fit a damn jetski in there, well maybe not... but you can make alot of room.

It'll run about 1k more than a 300, but it is a good compromise of suv and classy car. not to mention more seating, and the nav system in that is pretty good. It is well placed and looks cool.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Certified Porschephile

If she doesn't need AWD, and wants something with lots of interior space, why not a Honda Oddesy(sp?)? Honda quality, and resale, with lots of space and utility. Better mpg then any SUV or a Chrysler land barge.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
If she doesn't need AWD, and wants something with lots of interior space, why not a Honda Oddesy(sp?)? Honda quality, and resale, with lots of space and utility. Better mpg then any SUV or a Chrysler land barge.
If that is the route then I'll have to chime in with nissan quest, now I like that van.

But I think the biggest issue is sticking to chrysler, due to the discount she is getting. My impression was that she was looking to take advantage of a discount, but wanted alot of car, and still wants to keep the cost down. Maybe I need to read it again and pay more attention .

My logic was just that within the scope of chrysler the pac would be the best fit for her. I mention AWD because it is always good to have more control.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Certified Porschephile

Valid point. But aren't they over $30k as well?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Valid point. But aren't they over $30k as well?
With AWD and leather it is just over... but I'm gettin the feeling here that AWD isn't important... so to get it with 3 rows of seating it would cost about 26K. With AWD three rows and leather it be just under 31K.

But right now there are a few incentives that add up to about 3K too.

All the import dealers I know up here that are in management position can give a few of their friends a no profit sale each year. Which would be a savings greater than 3%. I'm not sure what "mom's" situation is, but I wouldn't limit my selection just for a savings that isn't really there. It is better than nothing, but don't get blinded by discounts..
Save a little to get what you don't really want
Spend a little more to get what you love and need.

As for the Hemi...
I feel the hemi is overrated. Back in the day a hemi top made a huge difference in the power, but now is a different story... stick to numbers not names. I think the hemi 5.7 puts out about 330hp and nissan's 5.6 puts out 305hp, but nissan also has slightly more torque (375 vs 379) at a slightly lower displacement. I think I would take the nissan v8 over the hemi just for the torque. 25hp seems like alot, but in my head torque rules.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedklix
As for the Hemi...
I feel the hemi is overrated. Back in the day a hemi top made a huge difference in the power, but now is a different story... stick to numbers not names. I think the hemi 5.7 puts out about 330hp and nissan's 5.6 puts out 305hp, but nissan also has slightly more torque (375 vs 379) at a slightly lower displacement. I think I would take the nissan v8 over the hemi just for the torque. 25hp seems like alot, but in my head torque rules.
Amen to that.

Hemi is just a marketing tool to boost antiquated motors. GM is making 300hp and 335lb/ft with just 5.3l, and that's in an Aluminum smallblock...not a Med-displacement Iron Block. Step up to GM's ALUMINUM med-displacement block (6.0L) and you get 345hp and 360lb/ft. In cars, that same block with the LS2 top end cranks out 405hp. Granted you have to pay a premium to get that motor in a sedan.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Certified Porschephile

God bless the new Chevy small block. The new Z06 looks amazing.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
The new Z06 looks amazing.
I believe it is. Some good ideas in the beast.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: