How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
It does even out though. AWD vehicles are significantly heavier. So when it comes to racing, vehicles have their advantages and their disadvantages. Ever try putting slicks on all four tires? That would be something eh? Or even just drag radials. You may be shopping for a new transmission (or diffs if it's a manual) after you try it.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
wow shadow you have much to learn.

my car weighs exactly 3,080 wich is not heavy and not a light weight honda ether

the sti and evo 8 both weigh in at 3,250 i think wich is still lighter then any american v8 car

the new gto weighs 3,600 lbs i think the mustang 3,500 lbs

so its true AWD does weigh alittle more then a 2,700 si or 2,800 srt-4 but still a lot less then you american v8 muscle cars
Old 09-24-2004, 07:23 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Re: Re: Re: new wrx time. o/t

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

You'll need to read the MotorTrend article: EVO vs STI thread in its entirety. Landshark and Shadow have been dueling back-and-forth...

-Chike

Hehehehe, I know.... I joined in the battle, Just because I hate it when GM lovers try to tell us that GM's products are actually good products.... GM got where they are today by producing the muclecars and trucks that they always have, not by producing cars that are a pleasure to ride in... I just wish people would understand this

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
What about:

AWD cars can launch harder than RWD cars without losing traction. This would not include using slicks. I've run my dad's 1969 Nova SS w/ 5.12 rearend and slicks to a 13s 1/4 with a trap speed of only 100mph. The car is a beast out of the hole!
But my real question is that, if they "get outta the hole" quicker, shouldn't they be moving faster at the same point (say.... 1/8th mile down the track) that a RWD car or FWD car??

Can ya tell, I'm not a big fan of dragracing... I don't know jack about it

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Not necessarily. The RWD car will need more power going to the wheels to catch the AWD car in the top end.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:22 AM

wow shadow you have much to learn.

my car weighs exactly 3,080 wich is not heavy and not a light weight honda ether

the sti and evo 8 both weigh in at 3,250 i think wich is still lighter then any american v8 car

the new gto weighs 3,600 lbs i think the mustang 3,500 lbs

so its true AWD does weigh alittle more then a 2,700 si or 2,800 srt-4 but still a lot less then you american v8 muscle cars

My fully loaded WS6 is just under 3500lbs. It's also a foot longer, 6 inches wider, has double the number of cylinders, and tires as wide as your driver's seat. That's not a great comparison.

The base Z28 camaro (LS1) weighs in around 3100lbs. That's actually a much better comparison because it carries nearly the same "options" as your WRX. But it's still much larger and manages to be not much heavier.

The GTO is a pig...3800lbs commonly equipped.

Not necessarily. The RWD car will need more power going to the wheels to catch the AWD car in the top end.

The RWD car has more power to the wheels to begin with due to alot less driveline weight.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:26 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
The base Z28 camaro (LS1) weighs in around 3100lbs. That's actually a much better comparison because it carries nearly the same "options" as your WRX. But it's still much larger and manages to be not much heavier
i would like to see proof of this??

only extra driveline in a RWD to AWD car is 2 extra axles up frount , whats your pointe here? what extra weight is there?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
[B]The base Z28 camaro (LS1) weighs in around 3100lbs
All the info I've seen has the curb weight for the 'stripped-down' model closer to 3250lbs...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-24-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
i would like to see proof of this??
Of course. Only problem is that I don't know of any resource that gives info that detailed about weight differences between trim levels, etc. I could show you proof on LS1tech, but you wouldn't believe that anyway.

Quote:
only extra driveline in a RWD to AWD car is 2 extra axles up frount , whats your pointe here? what extra weight is there?
two extra axles and joints, front diff, front driveshaft, a transmission that weighs almost twice as much as a 2WD counterpart, and all the associated electronics and solenoids necessary to run the system. Yeah not much.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX
due you have serous issues,

2 axles, a spider gear does not weigh much, what drive shaft ?? same thing a RWD car has,, what selnoids?? im still dont know where u are going here,

2axles and joints,,thats all folks

i would agree it weighs alot more then a FWD tranny but almost the same as a RWD tranny

a RWD tranny weighs just as much as a AWD tranny.

have you even seen a subaru transmission ebfore u start talk **** that you have no clue abought again ????

do your research liek a good little boy then come chat with me,,

as for a 3,100 camaro z28 f-body,, unless i see prove its your worthless word, so i urge u to prove me wrong,
Old 09-24-2004, 09:48 PM

Quote:
2axles and joints,,thats all folks
Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1 in the other thread
...all it said was if you lift off the gas thr car goes into a slight under steer, probley due to the front diff. The front diff on the 05 Sti was replaced...
One of you is wrong. And yes, the AWD tranny is significantly heavier than even a RWD tranny. Period.

Quote:
have you even seen a subaru transmission ebfore u start talk **** that you have no clue abought again ????

do your research liek a good little boy then come chat with me,,

as for a 3,100 camaro z28 f-body,, unless i see prove its your worthless word, so i urge u to prove me wrong,
You talk all day about my car and other GM cars that you have no clue about. I came into this thread complimenting you and this is what I get? You really have some inferiority complex. Forget it then, if you can't act like a big boy, then just take your little kid car and play with the little kids.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

But my real question is that, if they "get outta the hole" quicker, shouldn't they be moving faster at the same point (say.... 1/8th mile down the track) that a RWD car or FWD car??
No. AWD cars have less drivetrain loss. If you have two identical vehicles, with the same engine, and the only difference is one is AWD, the other is RWD...the AWD will be able to beat the RWD one in 0-60 times, but the RWD will catch up with the AWD one and pass it.

Why?

AWD cars lose about 30% of their engines output to the transmission. RWD cars are more like 15-18% loss. This means at the wheels, RWD cars have more power. More power means more go. AWD just provides superior traction.

- Jim
Old 09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:

AWD cars have these disadvantages:

1. AWD systems take up more room and weigh more.

2. AWD is not as efficient, it puts less power to the ground than RWD or FWD.

3. AWD has a LOT more rotational mass.

#3 is important. If you put big heavy 20" chrome rims on your car, it will feel a lot slower. Why? Wheels are basically big round continous levers... and the more MASS you have on these 'round levers/wheels', the more power is required to spin them up quickly. AWD cars have TWICE the driveshafts to spin up, twice the wheel mass, etc etc etc. Everything a RWD car has to spin up, but times two.

- Jim
Old 09-24-2004, 10:06 PM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
due you have serous issues,

2 axles, a spider gear does not weigh much, what drive shaft ?? same thing a RWD car has,, what selnoids?? im still dont know where u are going here,
You need to learn what rotational mass is. Rotational mass is the reason people want lightweight flywheels.... lighter driveshafts, etc.

- Jim
Old 09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Shadow, I'll add this point to the discussion:

The weight of an AWD auto trans varies greatly from the weight of an AWD MT.

An AWD SVX 4EAT weighs ~230lbs (shipped my stock SVX 4EAT to a guy in Chicago). Mychailo after doing a 5MT swap, noted a weight loss of ~100lbs, most of which was due to the different trans (i.e. no torque convertor, TCU, etc).

Therefore, this puts the weight of a 5MT Subaru trans somewhere in the region of 150lbs. From owning a '95 Camaro, I know for a fact that the 6MT trans weighs much more than that figure (>200lbs).

Now 6spds in general weigh more than most 5spds, but the additional 80+lbs your WS6 is carrying around from having six forward gears is equivalent to added weight of the awd drivetrain on a 5MT car.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: