Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
Angry Slippingggggggggggggggg

ok, well my tranny barely has a 3rd gear. couple of months ago, I changed the fluids, and the pan filter. The car right now shifts fine from 1-2, then 2-3 it redlines. While I gently press the gas it slips so when I stomp on it, the power light comes on then it catches. The dealer wants $180 dollars to test it($90 hr). He said on the phone it might be a seal, the piston isnt opening, etc. I suggested if it can be a solenoid, because at the light it doesnt move until I tap the gas and then it clunks then moves. But he said it would give a code which it isnt. What should I do? Does aamco, or lee miles have testing equipment equivalent to the dealers? The dealer also said they have to open the pan and test the pressures. How can I test the solenoids? or anything else of the transmission?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Omar, i just left a message on your phone.....dont take it to subaru cuz they dont work on tranny's...prolly tell you to swap it. Theres a company called level 10 in jersey. I'll look them up and get back to you. Level 10 makes bullet proof tranny's.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 PM
How fast is fast?

Thanks man. I know about level 10 but there so DAMN expensive!!!. I'm gonna call some shops and search if they can find the problem. How's the intake sound now?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:58 PM
How fast is fast?

anyone recommend a tranny shop near nyc?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 PM

yoo the intake sounds sooooooo good above 3,000 rpms...sounds beautiful . About the tranny...there is a tranny shop that i mentioned on saw mill river road. If you want tomorrow we can take a trip over there. Its right by my boys house. Just give me a call if you want to go.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 PM

Ok the rest of u guys...how about a little help and advice ?!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
I would buy the solenoid pack from the Suby dealer first. They're about $150 if I remember correctly, and if it doesn't work you have a spare or you could sell it here. I'm about 85% sure that's what your problem is. They're pretty easy to get to too, you could do it yourself.

I'm sure somebody could post directions on how to do it if you wanted to give it a try.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
How fast is fast?

Thanks Zeppelin, i'm gonna try that, just worried about taking the valve body off, and parts shooting at me. But I bet our wonderful svx community wouldnt mind sharing some pages from the service manual. . So today I went to two tranny shops, cottmans and lee myles. They said its internal, duhh!, and that it would cost 410, to remove inspect put it back together. Parts are additional. I told them I would like to get the parts from the suby dealer because I can get it cheap, he said ,"nah you can't get it cheaper than me, I dont make money on parts" yea sure buddy, nice one. So now I have no 3rd or 4th gear, it sometimes catches, and my fluid is turning slightly brown, because of the slippage. Going to call the liberty subaru dealership to try to order the solenoid pack, anything else I should order while im up there?

Last edited by Bxsvx; 08-10-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:21 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Don't go to Cottman! Do a search for Cottman with my user name, and here the stories. Although it's been a lil over a year, and I have not had any major problems with the rebuild, their customer service is non-existant.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally posted by Bxsvx
Thanks Zeppelin, i'm gonna try that, just worried about taking the valve body off, and parts shooting at me. But I bet our wonderful svx community wouldnt mind sharing some pages from the service manual. . So today I went to two tranny shops, cottmans and lee myles. They said its internal, duhh!, and that it would cost 410, to remove inspect put it back together. Parts are additional. I told them I would like to get the parts from the suby dealer because I can get it cheap, he said ,"nah you can't get it cheaper than me, I dont make money on parts" yea sure buddy, nice one. So now I have no 3rd or 4th gear, it sometimes catches, and my fluid is turning slightly brown, because of the slippage. Going to call the liberty subaru dealership to try to order the solenoid pack, anything else I should order while im up there?
I'm sure there's probably a gasket for the solenoid plate.. It wouldn't hurt to drop the tranny pan and clean the screen and replace the filter while you're under there. Replace the brown fluid with a nice synthetic.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
How fast is fast?

Yea Bugundy, the owner kept trying to push me towards a full rebuild ($1601). I told him what If I change the solenoid pack, "well more problems are gonna happen down the road". Thanks for the reply.

Zeppelin, I changed the filter, cleaned the pan,and changed the filter about 2 months ago, but im going to do it again. I want to clean that little screen, but how do I get to it? All I need now is some service manual pages for changing the solenoid pack and little screen. Anyone with the manual?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 PM

You changed the fluid a few months ago and it's brown already? Time to get a cooler on there ASAP! Do you drive it hard?

I used to drive mine hard and after I put my 26000GVW cooler on there I put over 20k hard miles on it and the fluid was still like new.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:53 PM
How fast is fast?

lol, no its turning a little, I mean a real little brown the last 2-3 days, because of the extensive slipping, its still almost pink, its like 5 percent brown now. Before a couple of days ago it was bright pink. I found the parts I needed but which one do I get, theres two soleniod controls

31939(1), or 31939 (2)
solenoids

31939(1), or 31939 (2)
Old 08-10-2004, 05:14 PM
How fast is fast?

Ok, I just did the self diagnosis and there isnt any codes. Wouldnt there be a code or something if a solenoid or something was bad? I remember my dads mercury sable doing the same thing and they changed the solenoid pack. I'm stumped

Last edited by Bxsvx; 08-10-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Bxsvx
Ok, I just did the self diagnosis and there isnt any codes. Wouldnt there be a code or something if a solenoid or something was bad? I remember my dads mercury sable doing the same thing and they changed the solenoid pack. I'm stumped
Hi Bxsvx, it sounds like the High clutch has slipped itself to death. It is applied in 3rd/4th. This is the part that is.most affected by the lack of cooler flow. I think you are looking at a rebuild.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.