Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 PM

Interior Dome Light

I've had my dome light out for a while now and thought I would see if anyone might know an area to check to get it working again. It works when the passenger door is opened but not for the drivers door. A while back my power locks were freezing up and i sprayed wd-40 on them and might have even taken them apart. I think the problem started around that time. Even the trunk activates it. Any ideas. I would think some of you have had this happen. Any ideas.

-Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 05:43 AM
red95svx

Sounds like the drivers door light switch is broken. I believe the switch is built into the outer handle assembly. You may have shorted something when you drenched it in WD 40.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-29-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:53 PM

DOME LIGHT

Dave, thanks for the information on the dome light question. I took the door panel off and checked where the door handle is on the inside. There is a white plastic piece with two wires going in and a bundle of wires going out. They're like fused into the plastic. It has a number (2174) on it. This is the only electrical items at the handle area. This may be the problem. Nothing else seemed out of place or disconnected. Should i replace this item. Also, the panel that shows whether you're in P,R,N,D etc... lights up only occasionally when night driving. Any ideas would be great. Tracing the electrical problems seems to be a nightmare. At least for me.

Mike
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 AM
red95svx

If you really want your courtesy lights to work, then I would replace that switch. Unfortunately Subaru does not show any available at this time, and even if they did the list price is about $100. So, I would check around for a used one if I were you.

As far as the shifter light, I've had a couple that had burnt bulbs but I'm not familiar with it sometimes working and sometimes not. Sounds like a loose wire.

Dave