Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
The Croupier

Well,,,,, let me put it like this. I bought My SVX just over 3 weeks ago.
I had planed on buying a new or up to 4 year old car but wanted somthing that FIT MEWell i had had an 88 GL-10 XT & Loved it . ( I sold it for 3k more than i paid 2 months later & allwase missed it.

Well I found my SVX at Auction ( tabs 2 years out of date ) i made an off run bid ( it didnt run through the lanes ) And i got it for $4,000 + auction fees tax bla bla bla $ $ 4825
Well add $ 1500 for the Stereo $ 500 or so for New mats, all fluids changed, All new Headlight bulbs K & N Air, Ok so now im close to $ 7000
Ok well lets say in the next 6 months New Rubber at least if not Rims say $ 750 to $ 1500
Ok sat for 2 years so say Paint next summer $ 500 to $ 750

Ok so $ 8500 to 9 somthing Seems high for a 92 somthing
BUT MAKE IT A 92 LS-L WITH 51,000 MILES & PERFECT INTERIOR AND I WOULDNT SELL IT FOR 15K ( it does only have 51k & the interior is mint )
So blue book Shmoo book its worth what its worth to you And while my 13 year old daughter may get it some day ( ya when shes 33 maybe ) To me its priceless & NO IT'S NOT FOR SALE !!!!

GOSH I LOVE ME SVX Gargoyle .....
Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Ok sat for 2 years so say Paint next summer $ 500 to $ 750

BUT MAKE IT A 92 LS-L WITH 51,000 MILES & PERFECT INTERIOR AND I WOULDNT SELL IT FOR 15K ( it does only have 51k & the interior is mint )

Huh? You're gonna' slap a MAACO paint joke on a 15K near-classic?
Think again, Mr. Goyle.

Ron (Oh, the humanity again).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:34 PM
The Croupier

Huh? You're gonna' slap a MAACO paint joke on a 15K near-classic?
Think again, Mr. Goyle.

I Know a Guy

Gargoyle..
Old 10-13-2003, 08:41 PM
Sue isn't really striped

If you know a guy who can get an SVX painted at that price, you better watch out at the next meet--we'll torture you until you give us a name.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:32 AM

Same labor of love as a boat Ron. My boat was selling for 18-32k when I got mine for 9250. in nice shape. 40k and 2 years later I maybe can get 18k for it. And if you thnink that's a lot, try a plane, or helocopter...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 AM
ww111

Well, as most of you know I just sold a near perfect 22 year old Fuel Injected near original convertable TR-8 (1 of 700) for $1000 less than low book. It was advertised in Hemmings, Auto trader, Classic trader, Auto Trader Online and others for 3 months (Summer even)

Here's my theory. All cars have a value as a mode of transportation, and a value as a collectors item. In a bad economy (like now) the collectors value can dry up and even go negative. But the value as transportation will still be there. Because the valuers (NADA, Kelly, Edmunds, et al) have a significant lag time in getting actual paid prices and then time to publish. There can and will be great disparity in actual and published values. To maintain any "Collectors" value in your car it must be stock.
my$0.02

Collins
Old 10-14-2003, 09:59 AM

But high end cars are escalating in price, and even american muscle cars. It's also generational as cars from our parents youth are dropping in value-1920/30's.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
01kickerlaidsvx

all of u have made great points but...

I have not seen it mentioned that as it may be true or not that the value of our beloved svx may b dropping to an uncomfortable # the cost of our parts are going in the opposite direction. that is yet another reason why I chose to custom fabricate alot **** on mine..I knew the love,passion and respect I have for this car is unconditional...shhh by 2005 I hope to have atleast 1 svx lsl in three different continents ( Dallas,tx,usa//mainz-kastel, germany//panama city,panama//for several reasons but one is so I won't miss it while on vacation an no rentals to worry about while the locals have all the fun..now alot of the work I have learned to do myself cause it is hard to find the level of expertise the svx commands..
Old 10-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
Well, as most of you know I just sold a near perfect 22 year old Fuel Injected near original convertable TR-8 (1 of 700) for $1000 less than low book. It was advertised in Hemmings, Auto trader, Classic trader, Auto Trader Online and others for 3 months (Summer even)

Here's my theory. All cars have a value as a mode of transportation, and a value as a collectors item. In a bad economy (like now) the collectors value can dry up and even go negative. But the value as transportation will still be there. Because the valuers (NADA, Kelly, Edmunds, et al) have a significant lag time in getting actual paid prices and then time to publish. There can and will be great disparity in actual and published values. To maintain any "Collectors" value in your car it must be stock.
my$0.02

Collins
I'd dismiss the transportation value in any collector car except perhaps in parades. I can transport myself in a Hyundai.
I'd agree that stock matters & will attract a larger audience with larger money. Patience is key when selling. If I can wait long enough, somewhere out there is a soul who JUST HAS TO HAVE A ...(you name it).
Certain people still buy 3 caret diamond rings no matter how far south the economy travels. If I had unlimited funds, like Earl, I'd buy a mint, stock '53 Studebaker Starlite coupe, if one exists. Then I'd take it to an SVX meet, & listen to all the youngins' say, "What'n hay-ill is that thang"?

Priceless.

Ron (OK - my SVX for sale ... now 30K).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:53 AM

Registered SVX
In this part of the woods a TR8 is not and never will be collectable. Try a TR2.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
ww111

<< Try a TR2 >>

No.

The 8 was a great handling, Fast (for an LBC), blast to drive car. The TR-2 in a word, "isn't"

I guess I look at "collectors" cars and "collectable" cars differently. the 8 is collectable, a '39 Packard limo is a collectors car. Not that I'll ever know, but, I don't think I'd ever get into owning cars I wouldn't drive. One of the reasons I sold the 8 was that 100 to 120 days of driving weather does not justify ownership as far as I'm concerned.

<<In this part of the woods a TR8 is not and never will be collectable>>

So what's collectable there? (Note to self: no sheep jokes, no sheep jokes, no sheep jokes...)

Collins 92 pearlie
Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
<< Try a TR2 >>

<<In this part of the woods a TR8 is not and never will be collectable>>

So what's collectable there? (Note to self: no sheep jokes, no sheep jokes, no sheep jokes...)

Collins 92 pearlie
The don't collect them, just luv'em and leave'um

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: perfect condition

i don't know, if someone will pay me $15-17k for my 35k miles 1992 that's in perfect condition with many nice upgrades and goodies, i'd sell it in a heartbeat. guess i'm a wh0re like that. i'd buy 2-3 in place of it.

if anyone's interested, let me know the seats are still brand new.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
In this part of the woods a TR8 is not and never will be collectable. Try a TR2.
TR8s are scarce around here [because of our huge road tax on big engines], and TR7s are despised. Personally, I like wedge shaped cars, and these have a nice cockpit.

However Trevor, I don't like 2s or 3s. Too ugly. I am a big fan of the TR5, and the majority of them got shipped to the States.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Certified Porschephile

Hey CigarJohnny, I just traded my 94 LSi at Rothrock 2 weeks ago. I really wish I could have sold it to someone here that would haven taken good care of her. She only had 74k or so on her with a rebuilt tranny.

Dan