Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2003, 06:40 AM
afsquid

transmission?

Anyone,
I've had my '92 SVX for almost four years now and the last year or so there's a buzzing noise when the car is in any D gear or Reverse but when you go to neutral or park it goes away. It's not a problem but I wonder why there is that annoying noise while I'm at the drive thru or such.

afsquid
'92 green 104.5K
Old 05-30-2003, 08:05 AM
fab9joe

Yes i too have this same phenomena. i posted about this about 6 months ago and nobody seemed to be able to give me a good explaination. yes it is only a problem going thru a drive thru window and it fades away when you put it in neutral. i am glad to find someone else with this same problem maybe now we will find an answer. is your transmission ok otherwise. mine seems to have good and bad days. sometimes it shifts beautifully and other times it lags a bit. i dont feel it this point it is time for a rebuild as i only have 68k on the car. let me know what you are able to find out. - glad to find a fellow buzzer.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:37 AM
I look like Gordon

I have a theory for you, but I may be wrong here:

I'm assuming that this is happening pretty much only when you are stopped, right? The engine rocks a little in its mounts (when you give it gas, for example). When you have the brakes on, but the car is in drive, you are providing resistance against which the engine is pushing (the torque converter never really fully disengages, right?). If that torque from the motor is causing the rear of the engine to lift up a little (easy to check, open hood with engine running and shift between drive and neutral), then you would also be lifting the exhaust system up towards the heat shields a little bit. This could conceivably cause them to buzz under these circumstances, but not otherwise... I guess if this logic holds true, it could point to a worn engine mount as well.

Again, I stress, just a theory.