Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Jay

Post oil filter and new engine oil

Hey,

What is the best oil filter for my 93 SVX? and any ideas where I can get it from? (I went auto barn and they gave me this generic one that they use on mazda engines also, apparently it will work...)

What type of engine oil should I put in? (I'm gonna do the full oil change myself) (Auto barn guy said 20W - 50 Nulon oil, and my dad suggested definitely a full or semi-synth 15W - 50 or 60 Penrite oil, because of the cold weather)

Any oil brand recommendations?

Cheers,

Jayden
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: oil filter and new engine oil

Go for the orginal parts.
https://www.partswebsite.com/subarug...n=1&type=parts

I use Castrol Magnatec Professional B4 5W-40.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX

Last edited by Alex-svx; 05-21-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

I actually use these for the reasons stated and recommended by the posting member.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?svxfiles|29215

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 05-21-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
I actually use these for the reasons stated and recommended by the posting member.

Lee
+1 on this. Purolator works amazing and I will not use anything else..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post

Lee
I have been using these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9ULD0

They are the same size as the one you linked, and fit the same porsche 944. I have found them to work well, having gone through like 4 of them.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM

wall-mart is probably the best brand for the filter...

Keith
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Jay

The purolator looks good, im in australia and the only place i can order them from is amazon. Should a part like that be okay to delivery all the way from america?

Shouldn't I go for a thicker engine oil like a 15W or 20W considering my car has done around 160,000km now?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 05-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX

even though there are hundreds of brands of filters there are only several companies that make filters. if you look at the part numbers you can see who makes them because they will be the same with several letters added. wix is napa, purolator is carquest, etc..., the cheapest filter is actually the same as the most expensive because it it cheaper to make two packages than two filters. napa gold is the same as napa select and so on. buy the cheapest filter from the source you want.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I get the K&N HP-4001 off K&N's ebay store. I would never use their air filters but these oil filters are basically the same material used in the Mobil 1 filters. Plus, they are the larger Porsche size like some of the others posted here. That means less flow resistance and more filter capacity.

For oil, I like high mileage oils for their cleaners and conditioners. The best non-synth is Quaker State. It has an incredible viscosity index which means it won't get too thin at operating temperature or too thick at ambient temperatures. Mobil 1 high mileage is better but I am still not comfortable with extended OCIs and it is too expensive to use every 3000-3750 miles. We discussed OCIs at Reading and one member does a filter change and top off when using synthetics. Now, if one is using a larger filter, like the K&N, maybe you can go 6000-7500 with synthetics and not even change the filter in the middle of the OCI.

On weight, this has also been discussed before and at Reading. The bearings apparently have too tight of a tolerance and there can be an issue with proper lubrication with thicker oils. Honestly, I can't decide if one would want the lower number or the higher number to be lower. It depends on whether the lubrication issue is more of an issue at ambient temperatures or at operating temperatures. If it is at ambient we definitely want a 5W versus a 10W. If it is at operating we definitely want a 30 versus a 40. One could just run 5W-30 but I would be concerned with the oil being too thin at operating temperatures in high heat conditions. Synthetics or a good HM oil with a high viscosity index may not have a problem with the oil becoming too thin. Personally, I think 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in summer is a good comprimise as the 10W-30 really shouldn't get too thick after sitting overnight in the summer. And a 10W-30 will be a little thicker at operating temperatures than a 5W-30. In all cases, a good HM oil or a synthetic is key due to the high viscosity index.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I get the K&N HP-4001 off K&N's ebay store.

Personally, I think 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in summer is a good comprimise as the 10W-30 really shouldn't get too thick after sitting overnight in the summer.
Definitely don't go thicker than a 30 or maybe a 40 if the mileage is really high. It has been discussed several times on the forums, but the oil clearances for the bearings are too tight to go any thicker. I think 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer is a pretty good idea. In Florida I just use 10w30 all year and if it's really cold in the winter I wait for the car to warm up a bit before driving, and warm up most of the way before letting it rev very high.

Those filters look good too. I might try those next time.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Jayden, The best filter would be a Subaru OEM filter. It has a special feature that makes sure you always have oil to lubricate the engine. I would also suggest a full synthetic like Mobil 1. On the Mobil 1 website they recommend 10w-30 for most applications. If you look at the owner's manual, which is located in the top of the glove box behind an elastic strap, a lot of oils are listed depending on the kind of driving you do and the conditions you drive under. I hope this helps. Take care, BOBB