Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Unhappy Had to push my car two nights ago

After a fourteen hour workday Tuesday; I locked up the office, went outside to leave and attempted to start my car. There was a pop when I turned the key, and the battery was dead. I had dim dash lights, and when I opened the door I had to help the seatbelt forward. No starter. The building security guy tried to jump my car, but to no avail. I had to call the little lady for a ride home at 12:45am. The next day I was able to jump my car off a coworker's Civic Hybrid (irony burning at me), and left it idling for about 20 min before I finally left work. Made it about four blocks and it stalled at a light and the battery was dead.

This is where I will point out that this car is very heavy. Those on this forum who've lightened certain aspects of the SVX for performance reasons have my respect. However if I ever decide that further lightening is needed on my car it'll be because I'm afraid to ever push this thing into a parking lot again. It sucks.

I got it jumped again and cautiously drove it back to the office, keeping my rpm at about 2k when waiting for lights, coasting to a stop, etc. Made it. Bummed another ride home.

The next morning (yesterday) I took my battery to Kragen Auto to get it tested. They said it couldn't take a charge and was dead. Made some sense. So I purchased an Optima Red Top battery. Figured problem solved, or at least I'd have a current to test for problems. The car fired right up, and I was ready to go. Then I go to a buddy Kevin's house last night to show off my nice new battery (he's a car audio nut, helped me with this car before). I pop the hood, he says lemme hear it crank the engine, and I turn the key,Pop... and the battery goes dead.

Not exactly dead, but clocks reset, and significantly dimmed the dash. Kevin said he saw an arc from the negative battery post to the cable, bypassing the terminal clamp. We took off the connector, cleaned the copper of battery acid and corrosion from the old battery, and replaced it with a new one. The car has started every time, and seems fine now. I love the Red Top, my car starts much better now, and seems a bit stronger at idle.

But I'm scared it'll happen again. Anybody else had this happen?
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Re: Had to push my car two nights ago

yeah I had that happen to me a few weeks ago in a QuickTrip parking lot, almost exact same scenerio except I just stopped to get gas...and I also ended up buying a red top! We could start a club But my problem was pretty much the same, bad nasty cable connection and so far I'm happy with my optima
Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Had to push my car two nights ago

Never had it happen but if you think the SVX is heavy to push, try an early 80's g body sedan... full framed car and 2.5 tons...