Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Graphic Artist

How not to install an amplifier, a tutorial.

Looking for teh sweet tunes, but want to show all of your honda friends you're a real man? Do the install yourself! With my umm... my plan thing here, you'll be cruisen to the sweet sweet strains of Yanni by June.

1. Select your system.

My system is comprised of an Alpine 78XX series head unit, with a 4 channel, 800 watt component amp, and a Jensen 300 watt monoblock. Rockford fosgate 6X9s in the back and Boston Acoustic SL60 Pro component speakers in front. Sprinkle a little of Chris Issac's "Heart Shaped World" for all the ladies. They can't help but pownce my car like friken tigresses when this system ROXORS the house with a lexan melting 1200 watts of silken tweeter delights.

2. Find a good location to do your install.

I did mine in the driveway of my friends house in a windstorm, while it was 22* outside, I found that a moderate slant to the driveway improves your chances of sliding ass over tea kettle into the street when the wind slams your hood shut with you under it. Trust me, this is a good thing, it builds character, and shows your SVX that you are dedicated.

3. Clean out your car and workspace.

It should look something like this when you are done with this step.

Remember gentle reader, I job worth doing is a job worth...

I can't really remember the rest.

4. Run the positive power wire.

I recommend finding a unused grommet already in the firewall, there happens to be one located here...

There was a picture that was supposed to be inserted here, but it was lost.

While you are there, I highly recommend finding that one of the bolts on your intake plenum is broken off - at this juncture, I would like to remind everyone that plastic is very brittle, so if there appears to be some resitance with the intake coming off, don't be a pussy and try to find the restriction - Be Chuck Norris, get out your demo bar and wail on it until it loosens up. If, well, you happen to tear your AC line, EGR tubes, PCV tube and associated wiring to hell, dont whine, a little duct tape and everything will be right as rain.

Dont stop working until this...

Looks like this...

Now class, I would like everybody to remember what I said about a clean workspace, if you have followed my sound judjement to this point, then you can be reasonably sure it is safe to leave your parts out in the driveway until the next morning.

Unless of course the next morning looks a lot less like this.

and a whole lot more like this...

Here's to you, Tim Chuey, weatherman extrodinare! Just last night the doode was telling me 60* and clear, and I wake up with 26* and 4 inches of snow, with 8 to 10 more due.

With half of my engine under the weather *bu dum dum* we can now focus once again on the amplifier install!

After safely running your positive power wire, ...

6.) Find a sutible ground, and run the wires from both to your eventual amp location.

7.) Pull out your radio cage
7.1) Get stopped and intensly questioned by police. (really happened, Hi Office Barrong!)
8.) Mount the amps... like so...

THis picture was also lost by the Verizon network, They never stop working to piss you off.

9.) Have the snow heavy trunk fall onto the small of your back, cry a little, come inside to write an anti how to.

more tomorrow.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
You either need to drink a few more beers, or you maybe had a few to many
But regardless, a very entertaining write-up
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Locker Link Solution

pretty sure I saw the weather yesterday... but was suprised to find a few inches way over here this morning too!! It may be a conspiracy
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
lol so you have your car all torn apart again huh? Let me know if ya need any help, I work for beer!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta