Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Need advice, buying first SVX...thanks in advance!!

Hey all...I have enjoyed all the info here on the site, and the friendly banter I have read daily.

I am currently looking at buying a couple diffrent SVX's, and need a bit of advice.

One of the cars I'm looking at is the one owned by user svx1992.

I have an offer in for the car I'm selling ($2K cash, maybe a bit more), it's a 65 Corvair.

I ALSO have an offer to trade it for a 1996 Land Rover Discovery, which I (may) be able to turn around and sell for more, maybe not. These have alot of costly maintenance, but, it does have only 78K, and clean carfax.

Question is, would you take the 2K or so, get an SVX for that much, or, hold out, and take chances on the other Land Rover deal.

Thing is, it's been snowing here in Nevada, and, I'm in need badly of another AWD vechile.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by corvairsvx; 01-21-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...Befoe taking the land rover, I'd take a gander on ebay and see what ones in similar condition are selling for. If it will easilly be more money, then by all means, go for it. Just eep in mind the costs of retreving the vehicle, getting the title signed over, ect.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairsvx
Thing is, it's been snowing here in Nevada, and, I'm in need badly of another AWD vechile.
If AWD is your primary criterion, consider spending your two grand on a mid-90s Subaru Legacy. You'll get more car for the money.

dcb
Old 01-22-2007, 09:40 PM

Wow, saying a '96 Land Rover Discovery has 'a lot of costly maintenance' is a major understatement. They're probably better now, but the early Discoverys have to be some of the biggest pieces of antiquated-design shoddily-built crap ever foisted on the American public. The V8 engine in the Discovery is made from a design that Buick first built in 1961 and dumped off on Rover back in 1964! My sister owned a '95 or '96 Discovery and after the engine blew up the second time in less than a year to the tune of $6000 total, she abandoned it at the shop for the repo man to get. After the window motors failed, we yanked the door panels and wedged the glass up with 1x4's! My family's also owned 4 Rover Sterlings and a TR7, and while British cars have 'quirky charm', they make the SVX look like the JD Power winner for reliability and ease of maintenance. I don't understand how Rover stays in business...

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Peace Sells... are you buying?

Well before getting the Disco you have to ask yourself one big question. How much do you enjoy walking?

I have four wheeled with several of the things and have zero respect for their abilities on or off road. They have horrible ratings. Take a gander at this link. http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-discovery.htm This was the same website I used to determine whether I wanted to buy an SVX.

My father in law owns two Corvairs both 66 Corsas. One is a turbo convertible (special order) and the second is an ice blue coupe. Minus the the farm tractor like sounds emitting from the Chevy boxers the cars actually are really cool (they need way more horsepower though).

One of these days I'm going to install either an SVX or WRX engine midmounted into a Corvair in front of an STI six speed. I think I'd rather use the WRX motor though with a large aftermarket turbo.

I would throw on a set of good snow tires and some sand bags in the back seat way before I traded a Corvair in for a Disco. Paying someone to tow you out of a snow drift is cheaper than almost any repairs done on those things.

If you really need AWD or 4WD then I would suggest either the nicest SVX you can afford or the newest Jeep Cherokee you can afford, either one will get you where you need to go.

That's just my opinion.

Ira
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
If snow is your concern, I would buy a car with more clearance than the SVX.