Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 AM

trouble code 29, crank angle sensor

my '92 svx had been running a little rough and was giving me the check engine light off and on. the problem got worse about a week ago when it started shaking at low rpms, mainly noticeable when starting from a stop and when the tranny shifted into overdrive on the highway. i recently checked my trouble codes and got a 22 (knock sensor 1) and 29 (crank angle sensor 2).
I replaced the spark plugs a few days ago and im going to replace the knock sensor today. id like to replace the crank sensor myself too, but it requires removing the timing belt and a lot of other stuff, so we'll see if im brave enough.
anyway, what im really looking for is some explanation of the role of the crank angle sensor and what could have caused its failure. a new sensor cost me 170 from pep boys (everywhere else was over 300) so i dont want it to fail again for the same reason.
thanks a lot for any help, i dont want to let this one go!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:52 AM

more... code 29 means "no signal from crank angle sensor 2, but two signals from crank angle sensor 1" does this mean the engine can operate okay with just one? i guess ill finish up the knocok sensor and see what happens...
Old 12-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You should be able to replace the crank angle sensors without removing anything other than maybe the alternator.
First check to see they are plugged in and the wires intact - they are just to the right of the power steering pump and left / below the alternator.
3 plugin things in that area - the temp sensor is a one wire blade type plug then the 2 crank angle sensors have a plastic plug on each with 2 wires.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 12-10-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:53 PM

thanks for the response... i feel better about it now...
when i took off the alternator for access to the knock sensor, i saw those two wire harnesses and recognized them becuase i had just looked at the new crank sensor an hour earlier. unfortunately, the crank sensors located side by side aren't identical, one has the plug part angled to allow room for the alternator. i changed the one that the new part matched with (closer to power steering pump) but i have no idea if that was crank sensor 1 or 2. now im going back out to erase and then reread for any trouble codes, hopefully at least 22 will be gone, and if 29 is still there, ill replace the other crank sensor another day.
thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:47 PM

well even with new spark plugs, new sensors, and an oil change (and no more trouble codes) its still running rough especially at low rpms, i guess i have some other problem on my hands...the research continues...