Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
Red "E-Brake" light remains on...without e-brake on.

As the subject says, my e-brake light has been sticking on lately. No, the e-brake is not on, but I am wondering if there are other systems that are set to trip off the e-brake warning light if there is an issue with them... is there a common issue with the svx that would throw the e-brake warning light, even when the brake wasn't set?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Open your hood and clean off the cap to the brake fluid resevoir. Then open the cap and close it. The light should go away. Happens to mine once in a while. Check your fluid level too.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedream
No, the e-brake is not on, but I am wondering if there are other systems that are set to trip off the e-brake warning light if there is an issue with them...
As POWER alluded, the light does double-duty monitoring brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir, only it's hyper-sensitive and sometimes comes on even it the level is okay. My Legacy did this. Guess it's just a Subaru thing.

dcb
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
Hmm, Ok, I figured it was something like this.

I haven't noticed any issues with breaking, or any other aspects of performance of the car... Although I'm not sure what kind of change to expect from low brake fluid.

I will check the resovoir- I just had the car serviced (jiffy lube) and I think they checked the brake fluid resvoir and it was fine.

I'll check it out tonight- thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedream
Hmm, Ok, I figured it was something like this.

I haven't noticed any issues with breaking, or any other aspects of performance of the car... Although I'm not sure what kind of change to expect from low brake fluid.

I will check the resovoir- I just had the car serviced (jiffy lube) and I think they checked the brake fluid resvoir and it was fine.

I'll check it out tonight- thanks guys.
Doesn't matter if they checked it....sometimes when its cold out it sticks.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Sometimes, it's because the bladder in the cap is stuck out pushing the sensor down.

After you check the fluid level, make sure the bladder is in the correct position before putting the cap back on.

KuoH
Old 12-06-2005, 10:37 AM

I get this 4-5 times a year. Just removing and replacing the cap fixes it for me.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Registered SVX
wonderful info

I have this happen when the weather is cold. I thought it was an electric grimlin. Thanks for the info guys.....
Old 12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
92 Pearl/Black Fast S#!T

Send a message via AIM to SvX001
e-brake light. got it here too

yeah my e-brake light is on too , along with all the other warning lights im not sure but some other guys said that it might be my alternator but let me know if that cap diaphram is the problem it might help me out some too
Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 AM
gettin there....

Send a message via AIM to RedHotSVX Send a message via MSN to RedHotSVX Send a message via Yahoo to RedHotSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvX001
yeah my e-brake light is on too , along with all the other warning lights im not sure but some other guys said that it might be my alternator but let me know if that cap diaphram is the problem it might help me out some too
Does sound like the alternator,if the battery,brake,and sometimes abs light's are on.If you have access to a battery load tester,hook it up to the battery terminals,and there should be 14.0 volt's with the engine running,if there is 12.0-12.5 the charging voltage is insufficient.
1997 LSI,18 inch Axis wheel(summer),16 inch ALT wheels(winter),Trans temp/Volt gauges,Iridium plug's, Autotechnica intake,silverstar high/low and fogs,polyurethane sway bar bushing's front and rear,Smallcar shift kit,Stebro exhaust finally..SWEET!!
Motorsports drilled/slotted rotor's front and rear with ceramic pads and SS brake lines.
1997 SUS Legacy,finally got the engine in after a year!!
My Locker
www.myspace.com/devilhornz
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=pipedream]

The level in the resivoir will change as your pads wear. You probably won't notice much of a change if any when the fluid is low(unless almost empty and then you'll know!!) I just checked my wifes this morning because she mentioned that the light was on. The cap looked just like the one in the photo. Added a little fluid, inverted the bladder in the cap, and no more light. This is the second time this year but it is an easy fix.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM
92 Pearl/Black Fast S#!T

Send a message via AIM to SvX001
actually i hooked it up today to a load tester and my battery is good, but my auto tech teacher told me my alternator bearings were burnt out and would need to replace it soon, also my starter is pullin alot of juice out of the battery so , thanx i found my problem and it might be your problem too but hopeuflly not