How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Certified Porschephile

Some F1 news released today (09/10)

Red Bull will buy out Minardi and have 4 cars on the grid next year. They announced the Red Bull Team will stay intact, and the new team is the "rookie" team with possibly Scott Speed in one car. They will compete against each other, possibly with independant sponsorship.
Second, Toyota is in talks with Bridgestone to switch to them from Michelin next year.
And this isn't new, but Sauber is gone at the end of the year if you didn't hear. It now is the factory BMW team. No word on who Williams will be buying engines from.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Williams announced, I think in August, that they'd be buying engines from Cosworth. They are also switching to Bridgestone for next year, probably because they figure they can't do much worse.

I don't know what Red Bull is thinking. I mean, running a 'rookie' team can only detract from the #1 team's budget. Will they use year-old Red Bull cars, I wonder? It'll be interesting.

Their claim is that they have more drivers than they have cars for, and that's why they bought another team. Interesting logic.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 09-10-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Certified Porschephile

I saw that. But I also heard that the Cosworth is to far down on power and Williams might be trying for Honda or Toyota power. Red Bull is going to be using Ferrari motors.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
I saw that. But I also heard that the Cosworth is to far down on power and Williams might be trying for Honda or Toyota power. Red Bull is going to be using Ferrari motors.
Well, if you saw that, why did you say there was 'no word yet' on what engines Williams would be using?

They were in talks with several manufacturers, yes, but that was all prior to signing with Cosworth. The only thing that would break that deal is a major manufacturer offering a supply of engines at no cost to Williams, like their current expiring BMW deal.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Certified Porschephile

I took stock in the word considering. I didn't know the Cosworth deal was in writing. Williams will be lucky to end up 5th in manufactors points next year.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I took stock in the word considering. I didn't know the Cosworth deal was in writing. Williams will be lucky to end up 5th in manufactors points next year.
Well, Frank will tell you that he and Patrick picked Cosworth because they have forgotten more about F1 V8s than the other manufacturers know, but I think the reality is that it's what they can afford. Cosworth probably came cheap - their only other parner is Minardi, after all. And it's been a few years since Williams had to pay for an engine.

I've heard that the BMW half of WilliamsBMW amounts to $150M. That's a big hit.

Still, Mario Theissen has said that it's entirely possible that BMW will be beaten frequently by Williams next year. I doubt that it'll happen as frequently as he suggests.

So, wet race tomorrow? I hope so.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Certified Porschephile

I want to see McLaren get the win next year. BMW in the top 4 with Ferrari and Renault. Williams will have it's hands full with Toyota. Is BAR-Honda intact for next year Paul?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I want to see McLaren get the win next year. BMW in the top 4 with Ferrari and Renault. Williams will have it's hands full with Toyota. Is BAR-Honda intact for next year Paul?
Who's Paul?

As far as I know, Honda have committed pretty comprehensively to F1. That was what started Buttongate last year - when young Jenson began his contract negotiations with Williams, Honda's commitment was in question. So Button fought to leave for Williams, who seemed to have the steadfast support of BMW. The CRB decided in BAR's favor, and Jenson put off his switch to Williams. Now that Honda have declared their commitment to BAR and BMW have left Williams, Jenson's (ironically) fighting to stay at BAR. I love it.

Actually, I'd rather see Button stay at BAR and finally win with them. But the guy has gotten himself in this situation.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Certified Porschephile

Sorry Pockets. I don't know your real name and saw the -Paul at the end of your sig. Again, my appologies.

As for F1, here is my dream finish for 2006:

1. McLaren-Mercedes
2. BMW
3. Renault
4. Ferrari
5. Toyota
6. BAR-Honda
7. Red Bull
8. Williams-Cosworth
9. Red Bull Rookie
10. Jordan-?

Display Modes Rate This Thread