How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-03-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msvx95
...I think I'll get them myself, which I should be able to at cheaper prices.
Did the shop give you the green light on buying your own parts? If not, you'd better discuss this with the service writer beforehand.

If you find cheaper OEM parts, get the prices in writing (or, say, print-out applicable subaruparts.com pages) and negotiate with the dealership that gave you the original parts quote. They may be willing to price match. But be assured, they will not be happy if you come waltzing in with your own parts without prior approval.

dcb
Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Did the shop give you the green light on buying your own parts? If not, you'd better discuss this with the service writer beforehand.

If you find cheaper OEM parts, get the prices in writing (or, say, print-out applicable subaruparts.com pages) and negotiate with the dealership that gave you the original parts quote. They may be willing to price match. But be assured, they will not be happy if you come waltzing in with your own parts without prior approval.

dcb
After building a relationship with my service shop, they call and ask me to order the parts when they need them. They figured out that I can get them faster and cheaper than through their supplier. But they are an import shop, not a Subaru dealership.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear
can't you do the easy ones by yourselves and let the others for the mechanics?
I don't know what you call "easy", but I refuse to work on something mechanical that I do not trust myself doing correctly just to have something go wrong and screw up other engine parts.

Also I work two jobs M-S and only have sunday off.....so no I would rather not work on a car all day on sunday.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

dcb
So far the dealership had no problems with me asking......I already told them that I had some of the items anyways. I have a decent relationship with them already. They also printed me out a parts list with the quote...which I requested seperately.

What sucks about subaruparts.com is the charges they have for shipping....certain items can be 40-80 additional shipping depending on the items!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

After building a relationship with my service shop, they call and ask me to order the parts when they need them. They figured out that I can get them faster and cheaper than through their supplier. But they are an import shop, not a Subaru dealership.

Doug
Can't emphasize enough your first sentence: "AFTER building a relationship..." I've taken stuff to my guys several times, but would never walk into a shop cold with an armload of parts.

msvx95, if the dealer shop's cool with it, more power to you. You're right about the $$$hipping. You might do well to check price and availability at an aftermarket chain. I recently bought a temp sensor from O'Reilly Auto Parts and saved about five bucks over what I would have paid subaruparts.com. And no $7.95 shipping charge. I gave O'Reilly's the OEM part number it was cross-referenced in their system. Had it in two days.

Good luck,
dcb
Old 02-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by msvx95

I don't know what you call "easy", but I refuse to work on something mechanical that I do not trust myself doing correctly just to have something go wrong and screw up other engine parts.

Also I work two jobs M-S and only have sunday off.....so no I would rather not work on a car all day on sunday.
that's a shame, you won't know then how pleasurable to work on this car... veeeeeeeeeerrry sweet and interesting!! ask me about it !!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.