Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

View Poll Results: Your choice so far?
Bush 24 36.92%
Kerry 31 47.69%
Nader 3 4.62%
Nobody! 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Surely you're not suggesting that, in infintessimal distinctions of the types of opression, that most if not all my listed countries rulers, leaders, ideaologies are/were not opressive, let alone intimidating? Even opressive red china is intimidtaing to the free world. Only Saddam's monotherocracy made him any different from the aforementioned regimes. If offing his own family members is not opressing, what is?

And I put it to you that sans France. germany, russia (the OTHER evil empire?) $$ pipline, Saddam would have lasted 18months-2 years after gulf war 1.

GW I'm sure has no illusions (save for religous) nor does his the 1st lady(more than san be said about Hellery), about his or any other presidency.

France's president can be elected 3 times in a seven year term for a total of 21 yrs, I learned yesterday. What can a US pres do in 8 yrs with 3 of them devoted to re-election? I say make US terms 5+5. Seems like only yesterday that Gore was running around Lauderdale looking for Chad.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:20 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffN
Surely you're not suggesting that, in infintessimal distinctions of the types of opression, that most if not all my listed countries rulers, leaders, ideaologies are/were not opressive, let alone intimidating?

No, quite the opposite. Rather, Iraq was less oppressing than the other examples. Saddam didn't so much oppress anyone, as he just off'ed you if you got in his way. Most folks never had reason to get on his bad side.

Even opressive red china is intimidtaing to the free world. Only Saddam's monotherocracy made him any different from the aforementioned regimes. If offing his own family members is not opressing, what is?

Controlling their money and assets, monitoring and/or curtailing their communications, encumbering their transportation, and otherwise complicating their daily lives would be oppressing them. Bumping 'em off is just ruthless housecleaning. It is the monotheocracy aspect that makes Saddam's rule so unique. Machiavelli would be proud.

What can a US pres do in 8 yrs with 3 of them devoted to re-election?

I agree that this is a problem. It seems that by the time the president finally has a firm grasp on things, it's time to move on. How to resolve it, I don't know. I'm not comfortable with longer terms without some other controls in place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: